Bill Bruford in surround!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got my copy on Thursday from Burningshed, so far I’m loving it. You need to crank it up to enjoy this. Haven’t decided on a rating yet, need to listen to the MCH tracks a few more times, and all the other accompanying discs (there’s a lot included).

1) Have these 5.1 mixes (or the box set as a whole) got their own polls/spotlights threads yet? I took a quick look, don't see 'em.

2) Everyone here would probably be interested in the new issue of DRUMHEAD, featuring a long in-depth interview with BB , talking mainly about his late 70s/early 80s period, including the albums in this box, and info about the box set itself (including why some things were included, and some aren't). Also, an interview with Jakko where he gives some insights into the remix process. One thing that comes out clearly from this is that Bill was really only seriously involved in the 2-channel remixes, he left Jakko to his own devices for the 5.1. JJ goes on a bit about the inadequacy of previous CD issues, saying that they were sourced from vinyl-EQ'd masters.. but there's no explanation why the original mixdown masters , pre-EQ, weren't offered to us at long last....could be EG didn't let BB have them? (That's the reason Bill gives for the lack of remixes for Gradually Going Tornado and The Bruford Tapes) There's also an interesting interview with Steven Taylor, an original producer/engineer of the first two Bruford albums, though I was a little disappointed that he wasn't asked to comment on the remixes. Finally, there's also interviews with Dave Stewart, Jeff Berlin, and John Clark! Highly recommended!

https://www.dgmlive.com/news/Bruford cover

blobid1517823540663.jpg

Thanks great info. Yes we should get a poll up for this. I kind of lost the plot on this release myself. Getting to where I might monkey around with it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

BS also mentions that Bruford's "catalogue will be reissued at a later date via Bill’s new Cherry Red label."

If these 5.1 mixes are being reissued later on by Cherry Red records, I would hope that the DVDs are much better quality than the very disappointing ones in this box set. These discs had some of the worst fidelity that I have ever heard from a 5.1 DVD, so I happily and quickly unloaded my set to someone else.

:)

Finally listened to these 5.1 mixes. These are both a really crude mono mix in the C channel. Kind of unmixed and howling away around 300Hz. Then a scattering of the percussion overdubs and keyboard parts in the rest of the speakers. The lossy dolby is both audible and a moot point. These shouldn't have been released at all in this state what the heck?

I thought the original stereo mixes were on the low budget sounding side of things. Great music but a little diminished by the mixes. This of course after being spoiled by some of the Yes and Crimson mixes that had outrageous budgets. I have a new appreciation for those original mixes now.

Finally listened to these 5.1 mixes. These are both a really crude mono mix in the C channel. Kind of unmixed and howling away around 300Hz. Then a scattering of the percussion overdubs and keyboard parts in the rest of the speakers. The lossy dolby is both audible and a moot point. These shouldn't have been released at all in this state what the heck?

I thought the original stereo mixes were on the low budget sounding side of things. Great music but a little diminished by the mixes. This of course after being spoiled by some of the Yes and Crimson mixes that had outrageous budgets. I have a new appreciation for those original mixes now.

Yep, couldn't agree more with your analysis.

Cherry Red are reissuing "Feels Good to Me" and "One of a Kind" outside of the big box set...

I'm sure these sets will contain the same crappy Dolby DVDs that were in the box set, but if they actually reauthored these DVDs to include DTS audio, then I may have to give them another try.
I have the box and I still haven't gotten around to listening to the surround from the DVDs. To add insult to injury, the original stereo mixes included on the DVDs were in abysmal AC3 Dolby Stereo. If they reauthor the DVDs, in addition to DTS surround, the stereo should also be lossless.

Last edited:
I have the box and I still haven't gotten around to listening to the surround from the DVDs. To add insult to injury, the original stereo mixes included on the DVDs was in abysmal AC3 Dolby Stereo. If they reauthor the DVDs, in addition to DTS surround, the stereo should also be lossless.

These remixes were done by Jakko Jakszyk, the current lead singer for King Crimson and since ALL the KC remixes have included Lossless 5.1/Stereo remixes, one could only hope the same might be included for these Bruford Remixes. I'll be very surprised if they replicate the original VERY LOSSY DD 5.1/Stereo remixes ..... and will certainly await reviews before adding these two remixes to my collection. And thankfully, the prices are amazingly affordable.

And its commendable that Bruford listened to the critics of the abysmal and pricey box set and saw fit to take matters into his OWN hands and rectify the issue.

And its commendable that Bruford listened to the critics of the abysmal and pricey box set and saw fit to take matters into his OWN hands and rectify the issue.
I don't get the impression that this is what's going on at all. The box set was also "personally" overseen by Bruford, and the album artwork/listed content for the CD/DVD sets is exactly as in the box. I'm with Ryan in that I expect these to be simple represses.

I don't get the impression that this is what's going on at all. The box set was also "personally" overseen by Bruford, and the album artwork/listed content for the CD/DVD sets is exactly as in the box. I'm with Ryan in that I expect these to be simple represses.

Apologies for misinterpreting your post. I was under the impression they were new remixes. In that case, I'm sure they'll duplicate the DD 5.1/Stereo codecs or risk p~off those who sprung for the whole enchilada!

IMO, rtbluray's above post #267 SAID IT ALL!

Last edited:
Feels Good to Me: Gee, this new stereo mix is certainly no prize either. I listened to my vinyl copy earlier (US promo) and thoroughly enjoyed it. Not a perfect recording but it was warm, spacious and very ‘crankable’. I then sampled the remix on CD and found it to be none of those things. If the goal of a remix is to reveal more detail this one achieves the opposite. A blanket has been added rather than removed. Oh well. (I know folks here are more interested in comments on the surround so thanks for letting me vent. :))

Back