1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
    Level
    Level completed: 52%, Points required for next Level: 484
    Overall activity: 30.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Bill Bruford in surround!

I'm gonna accentuate the positive in this post -- after some rather radical revision (I literally rotated my whole 5.1 setup one degree so I now face a different wall, altered the distance to my center speaker, moved some room treatment, and turned DOWN the damn bass -- which perceptually 'raises' the treble) I played One of A Kind again, and -- while I'm still underwhelmed by side one, and can't forgive his fadeout of '5G' -- I really like what Jakko did with 'Forever Until Sunday' and 'The Abingdon Chasp'. Good job on these, JJ! Mostly !

(I'm getting the sense that maybe his mixing vibe was, 'make it really seem like Bruford is always seated behind the band'. So keyboard parts, guitar parts, and even bass parts all go scurrying around in front of BB on the soundstage ... with an attack of cymbals occasionally breaking out too ;> )

Level
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 24.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album picturesCreated Blog entry25000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Forum Musician
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Bill Bruford in surround!

Interesting, I think you are articulating the mixing philosophy good now. This is evolving a bit the more we listen and perhaps making further adjustments along the way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Timbre4
    Moderator, Musician, Foole
    Daddeo 2018 Songs/Demos link:

https://soundcloud.com/you/tracks

3. Thanks Steve Schoultz thanked for this post
    Likes Steve Schoultz liked this post
    Level
    Achievements:
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm just listening and guessing, like everyone else.

5. Likes timbre4 liked this post
    700 Club - QQ All Star Frogmort's Avatar
    Level
    Level completed: 53%, Points required for next Level: 191
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience PointsVeteranSocial
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm listening to a crazy 'tweaked' version of 'One of a Kind' from a friend who used all five regular channels to create a new LFE channel and added treble to all five regular channels, and after I also increased the front left and right channels about a decibel and decreased the center channel and surrounds about two decibels and increased the LFE channel about five decibels, I now have something that sounds pretty impressive and fun to me.

It may sound rather haphazard and counter-intuitive, but to me the weakest part of this mix is the front two main speakers. There's tons of center channel and even pretty great surround info, but the mains are so weak overall. One of the very few surround discs I've ever heard that doesn't have enough of the front left and right speakers.

7. Thanks edisonbaggins, skherbeck, timbre4, JediJoker thanked for this post
    Level
    Achievements:
    Post Thanks / Like

This set may be the best argument for artists just releasing the stems and letting fans make their own mixes

Let them compete, the cream would rise to the top! ;>
    Last edited by ssully; 11-20-2017 at 07:11 PM.

9. Thanks edisonbaggins, timbre4 thanked for this post
    Likes edisonbaggins, timbre4, GOS liked this post
    Level
    Level completed: 23%, Points required for next Level: 154
    Overall activity: 26.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience PointsSocial
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Frogmort View Post
    I'm listening to a crazy 'tweaked' version of 'One of a Kind' from a friend who used all five regular channels to create a new LFE channel and added treble to all five regular channels, and after I also increased the front left and right channels about a decibel and decreased the center channel and surrounds about two decibels and increased the LFE channel about five decibels, I now have something that sounds pretty impressive and fun to me.

It may sound rather haphazard and counter-intuitive, but to me the weakest part of this mix is the front two main speakers. There's tons of center channel and even pretty great surround info, but the mains are so weak overall. One of the very few surround discs I've ever heard that doesn't have enough of the front left and right speakers.
    Why not just turn off the center and have the processor direct the center channel to the mains? That is what I am doing now and giving it some volume. Rears are a bit under used at times but not too bad. Not hearing any problems with the bass.

Level
    Achievements:
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rtbluray View Post
    So, as it turns out, when I opened up my package from Burning Shed to take pictures of the set (for selling on eBay) I noticed that the box was not shrink wrapped so I decided to pop the DVDs in and give each one a quick preview listen.
    Well, what I heard did not impress me at all. Is it because of the Dolby Digital encoding? Is it because of Jakkoís mixing decisions? I think itís probably a bit of both, but what I do know is that these are some piss poor DVDs, probably some of the worst released since 2011. Fidelity is terrible, authoring is bad, and the mixing is not the best.
    Iím glad Iím selling this set off, and I only wish I never would have bought it in the first place.
    (BTW, if I cast a vote for either of these DVDs in a poll thread, my vote would probably be a Ď3í)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Three seems a bit harsh.

Level
    Achievements:
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by skherbeck View Post
    I personally DON'T think these DVDs are terrible discs... in terms of surround, there's some nice discrete stuff going on; "Feels Good To Me" sounds fine in terms of fidelity (not stellar; kind of like what you might get with an average sounding old quad); "One Of A Kind" also has a nice surround mix, but the drums just sound dull and recessed (like a bad old quad... maybe like "Best of the Guess Who" or something)... after some treble & bass adjustments, I'm happy with "One Of A Kind".

In terms of what you expect from an expensive modern boxed set, yes, these could be called terrible... but judged in comparison to all the surround mixes ever released (which I havn't heard yet, mind you), I'd say these are alright... listenable, and enjoyable (I'd probably vote "One of a Kind" a 6-7 and "Feels Good To Me" a 7-8)
    This is also what I think after first listen. As others have mentioned, it just doesn't sound good at a low volume. I am not familiar with either but I will be soon. I like it. One of a Kind highlight is the last two tracks but that may be because the volume got progressively louder. Feels Good to Me is on tap when I get home later and I am looking forward to it. After reading the comments here I decided to redirect the center to the mains and sub to four full range speakers. A lot of these mixes it helps not knowing the originals so instead of comparing I can just enjoy.

13. Thanks skherbeck thanked for this post
    Likes skherbeck, Robert van Diggele, Snood liked this post
    Level
    Achievements:
    Post Thanks / Like

I like the instruments placement in both mixes, the music is great but the sound quality of this mix holds it back. There just isn't any treble extension. Like the last couple eq sliders were both down to -15db. Too warm. Makes it all sound muddy.

Crank it up and it sounds better. A few songs don't use the rears enough but the majority do. I am going to vote 6.5 and round down to 6 due to the Dolby on the stereo tracks also. That is just completely ridiculous.

15. Thanks rtbluray thanked for this post
    Likes rtbluray, timbre4, JediJoker, Snood, rusinurbe liked this post
    Level
    Achievements:
    Post Thanks / Like

if anyone cares --

the '2017 remaster' of Gradually Going Tornado is identical in terms of EQ to the last version (the 2005 Winterfold release)

There has been a consistent level of bullshit about 'remastering' of the Bruford catalog, going back to 2005, that is pretty annoying. Have any of these albums ever *really* been remastered?? I wonder.

17. Thanks Snood, Plan9 thanked for this post
    Likes timbre4, Snood liked this post
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011