Bill Bruford in surround!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If the 5.1 is indeed lossless, I might have to go for this set.
Never heard any of it before to my memory, but I love Bruford's drumming and it will be interesting to listen to what he comes up with outside of Yes & KC.

Looks promising, after OOAK maybe he can remix the debut U.K. album. , Bruford, Holdsworth, Jobson, Wetton. Great prog.

This has the potential to be out of this world.

All these albums suffer from very low studio budgets. Very quickly mixed. There's nothing pointedly bad but it is a striking contrast to the early 70's albums that had the mixes fussed over with endless studio budgets. There's a lot of potential there. I've had all these on vinyl since they came out. I believe all the CD copies were early generation where they were doing real lo-fi masters for older album re-issues. Stepped on. Haven't checked back recently on that.

If this was announced with Steve Wilson's name on it I would be jumping for joy and 100% certain I was in for a treat with perfect mixes. His mix of Bruford's drums on the Yes and KC albums is just excellent. Jakko 5.1 mixes are hit and miss. I think it depends on who is working with him. He has skills and his surround mixes are at an ambitious level. I think he needs a producer with him to give feedback for the end game or something. The KC Thrak mix is just an out of this world experience. A mix that can only exist in surround and absolutely requires it. It should be a required demo for showing off a surround system IMHO. I know this was heavily Fripp coached but this man's mixes are not to be dismissed just based on this work alone. But then there's the ELP BSS remix that sounds straight up unfinished and with some glaring mistakes. The bass bus clearly accidentally sent to the rears for one track. The Lfe content clearly duplicated in the mains. It sounds like it would have been on its way to being a really ambitious excellent mix but something went very wrong. (Especially the track with the bass 3 times as loud with the rear channel mistake. It had to be a flawed mix too. Not really possible to be a mastering screw up.) The live JT mixes... Don't know the quality of the multitracks so probably not fair to comment much. I do like the way he mixes toms in the drum kit. He has a thing going on and a space for everything. Comes across with a lot of energy. The Trilogy mix is better but the vocal sounds really unfinished. Or... could the vocal track have been printed to its tape track combined with thick reverb and there's just nothing that can be done? I suspect not and some good coaching would have really helped finish it to perfection.

Fingers crossed that these turn out right!

This has the potential to be out of this world.
All these albums suffer from very low studio budgets. Very quickly mixed.

Did Bruford tell you that?

There's nothing pointedly bad but it is a striking contrast to the early 70's albums that had the mixes fussed over with endless studio budgets.

Striking contrast, really? THey aren't exactly Romantic Warrior or Aja , production wise (most albums aren't), but Feels Good to Me and One of a Kind both sound pretty good to me. The bass could be a little higher in the mix at times on the latter, for my taste, but it's not by any means poor sounding. And I've had them since they first appeared, on vinyl.

What early 70s BB albums were endlessly fussed over with large budgets? Certainly not the KC stuff. And even Close to Edge was recorded and done in just three months (considered lavish at the time). The Yes albums before that were done in considerably less time, for less money.

besides the lack of "fundage"....I'm trying to convince myself out of this....not a fan at all of Annette Peacock's ....singing(??)....
And it's way too expen$ive to get it just to have OOAK on DVDA MCH ...

Bruford was (since he has retired) a great side man (Moraz & Bruford' s stuff is one of my faves), but most of his "solo" stuff is not as engaging as other artists...in spite of being a monster drummer....

One Of A Kind has always been a desert island disc, so cost will not be an object. I will be curious to hear the EQ on this 24/96 mix, the cymbals were a tad dry at times. Dolby Chrome cassettes gave me the accentuated high end I favored.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One Of A Kind has always been a desert island disc, so cost will not be an object. I will be curious to hear the EQ on this 24/96 mix, the cymbals were a tad dry at times. Dolby Chrome cassettes gave me the accentuated high end I favored.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just sampled both albums on youtube, and I will be getting this. It's better than I expected. :) Excellent in fact.
I've searched other vendors and seems only Burning Shed and Spin CD's are listing it.

Surely, Amazon will be carrying this...

I just sampled both albums on youtube, and I will be getting this. It's better than I expected. :) Excellent in fact.
I've searched other vendors and seems only Burning Shed and Spin CD's are listing it.

Surely, Amazon will be carrying this...

Both Amazon US and UK have it listed. Only, no price...or much of anything else. Maybe they just plugged in the title and will soon update their listing. :)

Amazon US
Amazon UK

I ordered from ImportCD also.. If I recall from past orders, their shipping was slower.:eek:

yeah, for sure somewhat slower than others. Though, I did choose the next tier shipping above standard. So, we'll see what that does...if anything. :)

I'm cool with it though. Their price (with shipping and tax) was noticeable lower than others.

yeah, for sure somewhat slower than others. Though, I did choose the next tier shipping above standard. So, we'll see what that does...if anything. :)

I'm cool with it though. Their price (with shipping and tax) was noticeable lower than others.

I have placed MANY orders with both Deep Discount and ImportCDs over the past year and they're getting better, IMO, on their shipping services and truth be told...their prices cannot be beat [especially with their 15% off sales/$5 coupons/no sales tax/etc.]:banana:

I'm still awaiting SW's To The Bone from AmazonUS.........now they say next week and this order was placed way over a month ago.

Back