Whitesnake (1987) 30th Anniversary Box Set (with some 5.1 surround!)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK Snood 5.1 review.........

:rolleyes:

It not discrete.......more ambient rears to double stereo with some (maybe) slight rear enhancements on a couple songs :rolleyes:

Still of Night is pure ambient/reverb

A lil better on Here I go Again and Is this Love.........

but back to ambient rears for Give me all Your Love and Love Aint no Stranger :rolleyes:

Weird that part of the DVD is a Purple Mix of Here i Go again that sounds slightly more discrete - which just shows videos of stuff

The sound overall is kinda muddy.........not so clear almost seemed like Snood was listening to MP320 at full instead of 24.48:yikes

The packaging and cds are koo - the DVD with the making of and the 2 song live performance and the 5.1 is mehhhhhh - the videos are not enhanced they look just a lil better then 1987. Snood paid lil over 17 bux for it with discounts.........Snood is koo with that.

If you are a Coverdale fan and this comes down a bit........it would be koo to add to your collection.

The overall package is koo tho :)

How and where did you get this for $17 ?
Wish it had better reviews...

Had a 20 dollar credit from Amazon for a delayed delivery - pays to complain.....especially to supervisor. :howl

Amazon gives out credits like Halloween candy :mad:@:

looked at it and said hmmmmmmm 17 bux with prime Snood fine with that :banana:

I want to mirror Snood with his reliable review on this box set with some comments. Amazon gave me a $13.00 savings on pre order price guarantee. In the end I paid $36.49. Here on QQ I read the threads and of most interest is about Rush's new release. Too expensive, too much, want stand alone, etc. Some say support 5.1 release no matter what. So we come to Whitesnake's new release.
Rhino is a stellar company when coming to box set releases, they know how to really put out a nice simple box set. If Rush was to do equal to Rhino there would be no conversation, just sales. This new Rhino release they even made an attempt at music videos in never before heard 5.1, they are not great as Snood said, but still, trying to accommodate all.
The 4 other discs are great, not redundant takes of the same songs over and over, good story writing in the booklet, nice hard cardboard package, poster, etc. One disc is remastered and one disc remixed, certain songs, one disc Tokyo live concert.
BTW, I also purchased the new 24/96 download 2017 remaster and does sound different than the 2017 CD, not better but different.
So if on other thread topics one was to say, support Rhino, or support 5.1 than this box set should be perfect for those. If you are at all a Whitesnake fan than I believe you will highly enjoy this as Snood and I have, even knowing it could be better.

I want to mirror Snood with his reliable review on this box set with some comments. Amazon gave me a $13.00 savings on pre order price guarantee. In the end I paid $36.49. Here on QQ I read the threads and of most interest is about Rush's new release. Too expensive, too much, want stand alone, etc. Some say support 5.1 release no matter what. So we come to Whitesnake's new release.
Rhino is a stellar company when coming to box set releases, they know how to really put out a nice simple box set. If Rush was to do equal to Rhino there would be no conversation, just sales. This new Rhino release they even made an attempt at music videos in never before heard 5.1, they are not great as Snood said, but still, trying to accommodate all.
The 4 other discs are great, not redundant takes of the same songs over and over, good story writing in the booklet, nice hard cardboard package, poster, etc. One disc is remastered and one disc remixed, certain songs, one disc Tokyo live concert.
BTW, I also purchased the new 24/96 download 2017 remaster and does sound different than the 2017 CD, not better but different.
So if on other thread topics one was to say, support Rhino, or support 5.1 than this box set should be perfect for those. If you are at all a Whitesnake fan than I believe you will highly enjoy this as Snood and I have, even knowing it could be better.

Thanks for the mini review Snood and Mark~E. Though not a Whitesnake fan I can attest to Rhino's meticulous attention to detail as I just bought the 4 disc RHINO/WARNER boxset of the Smiths: The Queen Is Dead. But unlike Whitesnake, they do include a 96/24 remaster of the original album on the DVD. The box is sturdy and the liner notes are decent but the remastering is uniformly excellent.

Back