CD Japan's 70% Off Summer Clearance Sale on BD Audio Discs

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmoura

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Since 2002/2003
CD Japan is holding a 70% Off Sale on BluRay Audio Discs from Universal Music.
It's part of their Summer Clearance Sale. Sale ends August 31, 2017.

70 Percent Off BD Audio Sale.jpg

http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/campaign/Bluray_Audio_50_Percent_Discount_SALE

Oh man those some good prices - filled out my jazz collection just now

But still greaaat prices on the rock and R&B ones tooooooooo :banana:

Thank You Bmoura :snoodhug:

So ends Universal's HFPA experiment - likely the last major push into high-res audio in physical format by a major label. It seems like a few executives liked the idea and bizarrely thought that the only market was in stereo despite the format's storage capacity. By the time they realized that there was demand for multichannel where a mix existed the format had already wilted on the vine. It may have died anyway, but it likely wouldn't have been this quick and quiet.

So ends Universal's HFPA experiment - likely the last major push into high-res audio in physical format by a major label. It seems like a few executives liked the idea and bizarrely thought that the only market was in stereo despite the format's storage capacity. By the time they realized that there was demand for multichannel where a mix existed the format had already wilted on the vine. It may have died anyway, but it likely wouldn't have been this quick and quiet.

Do we know which--if any--of the discs on offer are multi-channel? The Kleiber Beethoven 5 & 7, for instance? Layla is not, according to a customer review. (The item descriptions on CDJ's website are no help.) Some of the titles seem to have sold out already.

Do we know which--if any--of the discs on offer are multi-channel? The Kleiber Beethoven 5 & 7, for instance? Layla is not, according to a customer review. (The item descriptions on CDJ's website are no help.) Some of the titles seem to have sold out already.

None of the classical discs are - for Kleiber you should get the 3CD/1BD Orchestral recordings box, which has multichannel.

ubertrout is correct about the pure audio version not offering a multichannel version but there is a SACD which offers it....it's from 2003 and I can't comment on the sound quality...but it's not expensive....there is an option for importcds(thru amazon)and a few other vendors HERE..you can click on the picture and see the "surround" word on the cover

If you're looking for Layla there are actually two multichannel versions....the 2003 SACD has a pretty tame mix and isn't too hard to find but the later mix done by Elliot Scheiner is really worth seeking out. It's only available on a DTS DVD in the super deluxe box that came out back in 2011 but it's really that good.

If you're looking for Layla there are actually two multichannel versions....the 2003 SACD has a pretty tame mix and isn't too hard to find but the later mix done by Elliot Scheiner is really worth seeking out. It's only available on a DTS DVD in the super deluxe box that came out back in 2011 but it's really that good.

Thanks--I knew vaguely that Scheiner was involved in mixing Layla to surround but didn't realize there were two versions. I'll avoid the SACD.

ubertrout is correct about the pure audio version not offering a multichannel version but there is a SACD which offers it....it's from 2003 and I can't comment on the sound quality...but it's not expensive....there is an option for importcds(thru amazon)and a few other vendors HERE..you can click on the picture and see the "surround" word on the cover

Thanks. I managed to nab the SACD a few months ago and was disappointed: fantastic performance but disappointing sound--not nearly as good as the DGs that Pentatone has reissued, for example. At least it was reasonably priced, as you say. I was hoping against hope that Universal had seen fit to clean up the mix and include it on the Blu Ray.

Thanks. I managed to nab the SACD a few months ago and was disappointed: fantastic performance but disappointing sound--not nearly as good as the DGs that Pentatone has reissued, for example. At least it was reasonably priced, as you say. I was hoping against hope that Universal had seen fit to clean up the mix and include it on the Blu Ray.

As mentioned, this is the one to get, with the 24/96 mix in its purest form (there was also a DVD-Audio, but that one almost never appears): http://www.deutschegrammophon.com/us/cat/4792687

The multichannel DG issues from the 70s (Kleiber Beethoven and La Traviata, Karajan Beethoven 9 and Mozart Requiem, and Pollini Chopin Polonaises) are all quad with an artificial center channel, not modern 5.1 mixes (it's pretty obvious if you look at the multitracks in audacity - the center channel is mixed much lower and listening it doesn't have discrete information). Would have been better if they'd kept them in their original mix.

Back