Is Beck's Sea Change MoFi SACD in 5.1? My player is only playing 2.0

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ergalthema

I recently got a Sony X800. My AVR is Onkyo TX-NR646. Pretty sure I only have two SACDs. One, Emilia Amper's 'Lux', will output PCM as 5.0. (When I turn on DSD out, the receiver only detects 2.0 - but that's a different question I have.) However, when I try to play Sea Change (pretty sure it's this version), it only says 2.0, regardless of whether I try DSD or PCM out.

Can anyone help me understand what's going on? I thought this SACD was 5.1?

I recently got a Sony X800. My AVR is Onkyo TX-NR646. Pretty sure I only have two SACDs. One, Emilia Amper's 'Lux', will output PCM as 5.0. (When I turn on DSD out, the receiver only detects 2.0 - but that's a different question I have.) However, when I try to play Sea Change (pretty sure it's this version), it only says 2.0, regardless of whether I try DSD or PCM out.

Can anyone help me understand what's going on? I thought this SACD was 5.1?

If the title you linked is the one you have, then it's not SACD. It's a CD.

If the title you linked is the one you have, then it's not SACD. It's a CD.

I thought that might be the case. What's confusing is that the insert shows a CD layer and a SACD layer. Thanks for confirming.

Mobile Fidelity almost never utilizes the surround layer on their SACDs. (It's a practice that is a great annoyance to many here on this forum, myself included.)

The has been available in 5.1 (from other labels, not Mobile Fidelity) on SACD, DVD-A and Blu-ray Audio. The Blu-ray is still easily found at a reasonable price and is worth seeking out. The mix is excellent.

Mobile Fidelity almost never utilizes the surround layer on their SACDs. (It's a practice that is a great annoyance to many here on this forum, myself included.)

The has been available in 5.1 (from other labels, not Mobile Fidelity) on SACD, DVD-A and Blu-ray Audio. The Blu-ray is still easily found at a reasonable price and is worth seeking out. The mix is excellent.

Yep - and here is a link to discogs, with the blu-ray audio with multi-channel. :)

Beck

I've had the DVD-Audio version since it was released. I got the Blu-ray as soon as it was released. It's possibly my favorite surround mix, so I've just been collecting other versions. I also collect vinyl, but this is an album that I prefer hearing digitally because of how clean it sounds. Would rather not have vinyl surface noise in the mix for this one. And even as a collector, I can't bring myself to buy it if I know I won't listen to it... yet anyway...

Back