HiRez Poll Wilson, Steven - TO THE BONE [Blu-Ray Audio]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the BDA of Steven Wilson - TO THE BONE

• Total voters
7 from me!
A nice pop album and I can't blame Wilson for doing some more porpular music and a lot of shows in morning TV in Germany, England and so on....
But I like Hand Cannot Erase and his other albums a lot more.... yes I like prog better;)

If you're interested here's a just released YT intimate video from the Pedal Show where did Steve goes over his guitar rig, pedal board. effects and talks about his new release and upcoming tour.

[video=youtube;L2DuEX-i9HI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2DuEX-i9HI[/video]

Last edited:
So, and after due consideration

If you'd asked me, this time last week, what I thought of this album, I'd have been more positive about it than what follows. A week of listening to it in the car has dampened my enthusiasm somewhat. The over arching feeling I get from the album is just how derivative it is. Wilson proudly proclaims his influences when asked. And that's great, but there's being influenced, then being hamstrung by them. Nowhere is this more apparent than in the three tracks which form the backbone of the album; "Permanating" is "Mama Mia" suffused with ELO. "Pariah" is Peter Gabriel / Kate Bush "Don't Give Up", the "Song Of I" is a melange of Prince's "Sign of The Times". Look there's no doubt that the guy is talented. And there must be something about his music that keeps drawing me back, but there's still something I can't put my finger on. Something that gives a air of detachment. 25 years ago when I first heard "Voyage 34" I thought "I like that" even if it's basically a loop which sounds like "Another Brick In The Wall". But that was okay because he was new artist and a bye ball was given. That his musical influences periodically reappeared, is again okay. Artists don't exist in a vacuum. But for what inspired him to still be so overt, and so obvious when his career has matured far beyond clumsy Pink Floyd references just disconnects me. He has enough of his own influence to plunder for inspiration. And when he does it on "People Who Eat Darkness" you think, why doesn't he do it all the time?

The surround is nice, even if it adds nothing.

I'm filing this under disappointing.

After two surround listens (Blu Ray), two stereo listens, and two trips through the demo disc (CD 2 of the deluxe), I voted an 8. Really mixed feelings about this one, and I am not sure how much I will return to it as yet. I prefer the surround for the expansion of the music. A few of the demos are revealing--I like the working version of Pariah a lot for its rawness, even though the opening makes me anticipate Purple Rain. Others have already commented on the derivative qualities in reference to eighties songs. A lot of eighties music has not endured so well to my taste, so that's probably part of my disappointment. Detonation seems out of place, musically and lyrically, more akin to earlier SW solo works. I also miss the cohesiveness that characterized the best of SW and PT.

But I've got to give a thumb's up for the "earworms" this set launches...melodic bits roll around in one's head readily and for days!

Well, after several more listens, I am going to give it a 7, and that is generous. I doubt that I will listen to it again. I'm really disappointed by the direction he took on this one. All the sound and surround mixing quality was wasted on music that for me just isn't memorable.

I have been listening to this in stereo for many weeks before my bluray finally arrived :)howl amazon.ca!). So, I have become very familiar with the music. This release has been very polarizing. I don't think it is his best album ever, but I welcome the change in style as long as he doesn't stick with this style forever. The number of memorable melodies are remarkable! The tunes roll around in my head for many hours after every listen! It really sounds like Steven was having a blast making this music.

Not all the music is excellent, however... Steven overuses his "falsetto" on this album, IMO. I just don't believe he was gifted with a good enough voice to pull that off. I give the music itself a 9.

On to the mix... top notch as usual! A 10 for sure. All channels are very active, and the mix is also active, with many sounds moving throughout the room. The surround mix honors the stereo mix very well... mostly. I find Permanating sounds a bit awkward if you are used to the stereo mix. The vocals sound a bit muted, or perhaps just different. Other sounds I didn't hear in stereo were present in surround. Odd. I think I found the reason; the stereo mix for that track was done by Cenzo Townshend according to the liner notes. That likely explains the difference in sound between surround and stereo. I suspect Steven did his own stereo mix for Permanating, followed by the surround mix. Then, late in the process a decision was made (either by Steven or someone at Caroline) to get a more well known "pop" producer to take a stab at mixing that track.

Fidelity - a 9.5 No complaints at all. As good as the other SW albums. Not overly compressed, even though it is a more "pop" oriented album.

Overall a 9.5 average. Rounded up to 10!

Enjoying this one, I like that this is a new direction for him. Pretty accessible compared to some of his stuff. The surround mix is very nice. Up to his usual standards which imho are very high. I don't know how to call this album pop other than the one song that is. It is not as hard core progressive as some of his other solo stuff and early porcupine tree is. It to his solo stuff what stupid dream, and lightbulb son were to PT. Excellent sounding and dynamic. Cannot wait to see him live again. Hope he comes to Dallas again. Enjoying nowhere now, pariah, people who eat darkness, song of i and nowhere now. Another solid effort, give it a 10 from a technical perspective and a 9 for the music. So this receives a 10 from me.

I finally got round to listening to it, with a little bit of trepidation after some comments I'd heard. I can see why maybe some people have reservations. But all I can say is WOW, once I'd listened to it I put it on again. It had me smiling, I love it. It works for me as a complete album (even the pop song), favourites so far are To The Bone & Pariah. So I think SW has really upped his song writing.

There is some really good production in the mix, its nicely immersive and captivating, the musicianship is fantastic, there is some great guitar, and intriguingly I really noticed the drums, they give the album some 'pace & presence'. A very accessible album, but unmistakably Steven Wilson.

I didn't expect it to make me do it, but its a 10 for everything. So a solid 10.

I've just talked to my younger brother and he was raving about the album as well.

Unusual for me, but with this set I've played the 2ch in the car more than the 5.1, but that's been a time issue rather than preference. Hearing it multiple times in the car got me familiar with the tracks, and now having 3 spins in 5.1 i think I can vote in this one.

Overall vote is 8 for me, but probably not for the reasons most vote less than 9/10. I like the songs a lot, even the polarizing Permanating (pure Abba meets ELO!). The mix and sound quality is top notch as expected.

My minuses are with some production choices, and maybe some qualms with a few lyrics. Too much falsetto - Same Asylum...that first verse, should have reversed what he did - used his "normal" voice as the main and the falsetto as the harmony in the next verse. He does that again in another song too.

Song of I is really weak imho, very derivative and aside from the middle orchestral part that makes it seem to be going somewhere but then just goes back to the nothing root of the piece, it's a toss off, trying to write like the names he's tossed out there in the promos for the release.

People Who Eat Darkness is a decent album track, but suffers from what may be his weakest lyrical effort yet (and I give him a lot of leeway - that says something from a P Hammill afficionado)

That instrumental section of Detonation is exquisite - love that funky bass line, the guitar soloing overtop ...nailed it beautifully.

Pariah is superb, love what he, love Ninet (hope she's at the show I have tickets for).

Nowhere Now is his "pop" side at its best - makes me think that Aviv may wonder why he didn't bring this into the Blackfield fold.

Both opening and closing tracks are well done, fitting.

So, a few flaws, but I where I do not think it's as great as HCE I do like the overall flow of the record more than Raven or GfD, and even the "flaws" I've stated don't make me skip the tracks and I can't say that about the other 2.

You know, I don't know what it is about this release....but the songs make me feel...good. More than many other Wilson releases. Seriously. Pariah is epic. I just played this for my wife (who knows about Wilson and Porcupine Tree) and she could not believe it. We both love it and I'll be playing and recommending this often.

Killer......

I definitely agree.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I gave it a 10. Like all of SW's work it grows on you. Some songs (including the controversial ones, I love), the others like. I figure with acouple more listens ill lovethem all.

You know, I don't know what it is about this release....but the songs make me feel...good. More than many other Wilson releases. Seriously. Pariah is epic. I just played this for my wife (who knows about Wilson and Porcupine Tree) and she could not believe it. We both love it and I'll be playing and recommending this often.

Killer......

Hmmm..maybe Steven is getting some GOOD "Wang Dang Sweet Poon Tang" at last!!!!(and it's reflected on his music finally)

I waited 2 long months for this as Amazon.ca continually pushed it back. I gave up and got it from the UK. My listening ritual for any Steven Wilson release is a glass of wine and the full surround treatment. I have resisted listening for 2 months. I am an admitted fanboy. I am a lover of music and the movement from the progressive side did not concern me at all. It's all about the songs and the sound.
I loved the slight turn with HCE, and am a huge fan of Govan, but this album, for ME, leaves no doubt that Mr. Wilson is at the very top of his game as he approaches 50.
I love love love this album. The surround treatment is great and this album is a triumph! Such diversity and great song writing. Porcupine Tree led me to this wonderful website, and I am so grateful that he continues to produce, remix, and champion the surround format.
A 10 in case you were wondering.:cool:

Its quite a while since I have been active, work and life with teenagers gets pretty busy, but this album is enough to bring me back. Unlike the above response, conversely this forum introduced me to Steven Wilson in 2009 (for which I am eternally grateful)
To the Bone has well and truly been a shift from his previous work, just like Raven was a big shift with a salute to all things great about 70's progressive rock. This is a contemporary 80's influenced/ rebooted/ reinvented masterpiece. I can't think of a better term.....lets call it progressive pop.
More melodies you can sing along with than ever before, some insanely catchy. Falsetto (Scissor Sisters style) appears and isn't just a gimmick (despite my obvious grimaces when I first heard it), it suits the song style and structure. Some happy themes and optimism even. A feature of his work has been complex layers in songs that inevitably require a number of listens to fully appreciate, this album is no different. I have always found his music very mood affecting, previously i would be moved and feel happy because after listening I felt things could always be worse than they are.....this album I feel happy all the time and things are getting better.
Having been overseas recently and listening to it in stereo a lot on good quality cans, it is by far his best stereo mix. The surround mix is, like the music, a pleasant departure from what I expected with some more aggressive rear effects than I am used to with his work. Detonation is such a good song but there are many others. I understand that this album will not be loved by everyone but I can't stop playing it a month later, I will see if it lasts as long as Raven, that took 3 months before I listened to anything else.

I listened to the 5.1 surround mix and the instrumentals in stereo and watched the two videos and LOVE this disc. A strong 9 from me.:banana:

Extremely high production values all around.

When am I ever going to get this ? I purchased from Amazon on August 22 and they keep delaying delivery albeit it is now closer than it has ever been, Nov 8-15.

Back