Argent- In Deep Q8

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sjcorne

Staff member
Another curious problem for the tape experts.

Found a copy of this tape and finally managed to get it in playing order. The material isn't bad but the mix isn't as exciting as most columbias...lots of cross channel bleed of vocals, drums, etc. There is some separation but it's not terribly discrete. The SQ LP must be a total disaster...

The strangest thing I noticed is the difference in fidelity between programs 1 and 2. Program 1 sounds decent enough (for a Q8) but program 2 is unlistenable. It sounds totally muffled. No highs whatsoever and everything sounds buried. Will post samples when I finish copying the tape but if I could equate it to something it sounds like someone listening to a 128k MP3 file with their hand over an iPhone speaker, except somehow worse.

Is this a common issue with this tape (bad duplicator or master)? I noticed there is no poll for this title so came here.

In regards to fidelity, it might just be your tape. I'm playing my copy right now and there doesn't seem to be any difference to my ears.

I've come across faulty tapes before. Some issues may have been caused by wear, others were created during duplication.

I had a Paul Simon self-titled tape that had a terribly muffled Right Rear channel on Track 1 only. Found another copy that did not have the issue.

My favorite was an Eric Carmen tape that had the front and rear channels several seconds out of sync. Another member here had a Joe Walsh Q8 that had the same malfunction.

I've owned 3 copies of this tape, the first 2 did exactly that. Program 2 was completely unlistenable, absolutely dull. One of them was a sealed copy. Clearly something went wrong in duplication with a batch.

Another curious problem for the tape experts.

Found a copy of this tape and finally managed to get it in playing order. The material isn't bad but the mix isn't as exciting as most columbias...lots of cross channel bleed of vocals, drums, etc. There is some separation but it's not terribly discrete. The SQ LP must be a total disaster...

The strangest thing I noticed is the difference in fidelity between programs 1 and 2. Program 1 sounds decent enough (for a Q8) but program 2 is unlistenable. It sounds totally muffled. No highs whatsoever and everything sounds buried. Will post samples when I finish copying the tape but if I could equate it to something it sounds like someone listening to a 128k MP3 file with their hand over an iPhone speaker, except somehow worse.

Is this a common issue with this tape (bad duplicator or master)? I noticed there is no poll for this title so came here.

FWIW I have the SQ disc and a conversion fr. the Q8 and the quad is incredible imho. I always remembered this disc to be a great quad mix and it was confirmed when I recently got ahold of the Q8 TAPE conversion. And I must confess, although I have the SQ quad disc, it's been a few years since I played it.
So upon hearing the convert, I was rather pleased with the result.

FWIW I have the SQ disc and a conversion fr. the Q8 and the quad is incredible imho. I always remembered this disc to be a great quad mix and it was confirmed when I recently got ahold of the Q8 TAPE conversion. And I must confess, although I have the SQ quad disc, it's been a few years since I played it.
So upon hearing the convert, I was rather pleased with the result.

Maybe there's more wrong with my particular tape...to me the mix sounds almost like a decoded SQ. Lots of bleed. Vocals and drums are low in the rears. Wouldn't mind hearing your conversion...

Maybe there's more wrong with my particular tape...to me the mix sounds almost like a decoded SQ. Lots of bleed. Vocals and drums are low in the rears. Wouldn't mind hearing your conversion...

I wish I could supply you with your request , but I don't have a P.C. , just my tablet, so sorry for that.

SURELY SOME GOOD SAMARA-TITAN ON QQ WILL BE ABLE TO ASSIST YOU THOUGH. THERE ARE PLENTY OF GENEROUS QUADIES HERE-SO PERHAPS ONE OR MORE CAN PM YOU . (Sharing preserved quad is so important for our survival. )

-fizzy

20170825_173303.jpg

Back