Sneak Peek at the upcoming Ian Cooke album - FLAC 5.1

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

popshop

800 Club - QQ All-Star
Hello QQers - Here's the upcoming (stereo) single from the upcoming Ian Cooke album: https://goo.gl/XVt6wE, and three FLAC 5.1 files: https://goo.gl/fsD3N8 :banana:
I wanted to try something new on this one, and thought it would be fun and helpful to get some mixes out to see how they translate to other listeners. I've also noticed a want for some on here to be involved with releases, with the industry, etc - I thought it would be fun to have a more interactive experience. I'd like to hear your opinions on the mixes, but also am interested in your opinions on release. I'm planning on 5.1 FLAC download and a simple DVD-A with instrumental and vocal mixes in stereo and 48/24 DTS surround. The album will also be released on stereo LP and CD.
The album is titled The Flight I Flew and will be out in late October in conjunction with five dance performances in Denver. We plan to announce next week on our website and sell the album via iancooke.bandcamp.com, so for now, you are some of the first to hear some of the songs.
The album is not about dinosaurs ;) and is an echo/sequel/callback/reference of Cooke's first album The Fall I Fell. Musically, we're no longer cello with guitar/bass/drums. The bassist is playing percussion, the guitarist is playing bowed contrabass, and two new string players and a percussionist/multi-instrumentalist have been added to the mix. We hope you like it! Let me know what I can make better! - Ian O -
iancooke_TFIF2_art.jpg

I know constructive criticism can be hard to hear, but here goes... please don't change anything. These mixes are perfect. Keep us posted with links because I want to purchase this! Thank you:)

That's very kind of you, but I like critique! :smokin... does anyone take issue with the piano exclusively being in the rear speakers on Nine Moons? Any issues with subwoofer levels? Levels in general? Djembe and timbale are kept mostly near the center while shakers and more crisp percussion are more discreet. I almost never have the lead vocal in the center speaker exclusively. I use the center more for toy piano or the odd harmony vocal. Mostly kept violins in the rear and ebows in the front. I'm just hoping my heavy use of the rear speakers isn't too much. Thanks all! I'd like to hear your opinions.

That's very kind of you, but I like critique! :smokin... does anyone take issue with the piano exclusively being in the rear speakers on Nine Moons? Any issues with subwoofer levels? Levels in general? Djembe and timbale are kept mostly near the center while shakers and more crisp percussion are more discreet. I almost never have the lead vocal in the center speaker exclusively. I use the center more for toy piano or the odd harmony vocal. Mostly kept violins in the rear and ebows in the front. I'm just hoping my heavy use of the rear speakers isn't too much. Thanks all! I'd like to hear your opinions.

While listening, I imagined how it might sound with the piano in the front instead... but I prefer it in the back as you have it (otherwise the first part of the song would be too "front heavy" for me). I noticed your placement of vocals outside of the center channel, but I think it works. Overall, I really like it... and the music, at least for these 3 songs, is even better than on Antiquasauria. It sounds like you have a lot more musical elements to work with, which in general is resulting in a really balanced surround experience. (y)(y)(y)

Thanks for the detail. Thanks for the compliments! Yes, it's been a lot of fun to not use standard rock instruments. I love playing upright with a bow...so I recorded a lot of that. We've been rehearsing to figure out how to perform it all live. So much fun.
**I forgot to mention that there are two versions of Flow & Ebb in the dropbox folder for comparison. We sped up the track in stereo mastering, so I re-sampled to get the same effect for surround. PITCHUP is the intended version.**

Super sneak peek: message me if you'd like to test a DVD using an ISO file in the next day. Trying to make sure this upcoming Cooke album plays nicely with all others. :mad:@:

I have just put this album to PC for converting for the car, and I can honestly say that the mix on this release is outstanding!! I have not listened to the entire thing yet, which I will do, but spot listening on the PC workstation reveals an exceptional mix. Once I get through this a few times I will say more but for now rest assured the mix is REAL 5.1, no mistake about it at all.

Great job by Ian!! (Both of them!) :)

Indeed a nice mix, like most of the songs too.
Remark on the menu of the DVD-A, is that the behaviour of the stereo part is different (all song titles are visible during playback) with the surround you only see the title you're listening to.
Would love to see the lyrics during the playback of the song when I play it as DVD. Probably play it more as Flac 5.1. But when I take the efford to play the DVD than I miss the lyrics.

Thanks a lot for the DVD playback optertunity.

Thanks for the comments and PMs! My thought was that anyone with the DVD would have either the CD or LP with printed lyrics. I personally would much rather read from paper than from a screen. Because of the nature of the authoring program DVD lab pro, there can't be menus with an audio only program, thus just the simple song title or tracklist with no movement options.
Thanks for listening!

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Thanks for the comments and PMs! My thought was that anyone with the DVD would have either the CD or LP with printed lyrics. I personally would much rather read from paper than from a screen. Because of the nature of the authoring program DVD lab pro, there can't be menus with an audio only program, thus just the simple song title or tracklist with no movement options.
Thanks for listening!

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

I find it harder and harder to read those tiny letters in the CD booklets ;-) I find it easier to ready those on my 55" TV screen.
Probably my age, I find myself scanning booklets to read the the booklets on my TV ...
No problem, you can also display lyrics as a new photo as a background during the song.

Thanks for the input. I added lyrics to the surround mix screens, added titles to the songs to differentiate which mix is playing, added numbers before the song titles, hopefully fixed all weird button sends, tinkered with other things. DVDs are so strange and particular. I really appreciate the PMs and posts. Obviously we're independent so I honor any kind of help and response. Much obliged.

Back