Top Sansui QS-D1000 Decoder on eBay

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sometime back in the mid 80's , Dave Vaccaro (Chicago area) trusted Quaddie, sent me a pic and price option on one. He was selling some of course.

At the time I had my QSD-2 and it was working just fine, so I "reluctantly passed".

Have regrets now, as I could've afforded an extra QS Decoder back then . REGRETS !! Big regrets now !! :rolleyes:

I had read in another thread that this unit has this exact same single-band variomatrix decoder as the QSD-2. The tri-band QSD-1 is the one to get, but the Involve SM is also tri-band and it's performance on QS material is quite impressive.

I had read in another thread that this unit has this exact same single-band variomatrix decoder as the QSD-2. The tri-band QSD-1 is the one to get, but the Involve SM is also tri-band and it's performance on QS material is quite impressive.

I'm probably one of the few that thinks that the single band units are better, the QSD-1 which I have colours the sound quite a bit. The QS-D1000 is an audiophile unit through and through. I was very tempted to buy it, I see that it sold quickly. In hindsight I suppose that I could of bought it and then sold the QSD-1. I already have a Photolume unit which is a QSD-2 clone, it just lacks the All-pass phase shift network designed to keep the front and rear QS decoded signals in phase with each other. That network is undesirable for stereo enhancement anyway; I say enhancement as really nothing is synthesized by this process, the stereo stage is just stretched around the room. I recently purchased an Involve decoder evaluation board, i haven't tried it out yet, it's a triple band unit but by using DSP it might colour the sound less than the QSD-1. What's really better an analog unit with minimal signal processing or a DSP unit with more advanced processing. I hope to be able to report on my findings soon.

I'm probably one of the few that thinks that the single band units are better, the QSD-1 which I have colours the sound quite a bit. The QS-D1000 is an audiophile unit through and through. I was very tempted to buy it, I see that it sold quickly. In hindsight I suppose that I could of bought it and then sold the QSD-1. I already have a Photolume unit which is a QSD-2 clone, it just lacks the All-pass phase shift network designed to keep the front and rear QS decoded signals in phase with each other. That network is undesirable for stereo enhancement anyway; I say enhancement as really nothing is synthesized by this process, the stereo stage is just stretched around the room. I recently purchased an Involve decoder evaluation board, i haven't tried it out yet, it's a triple band unit but by using DSP it might colour the sound less than the QSD-1. What's really better an analog unit with minimal signal processing or a DSP unit with more advanced processing. I hope to be able to report on my findings soon.

Cool, you bought an involve board !

Let me know how she sounds when you give it a go.

-Derek

Hi. All
Its back again it did not sell for $800.00 so it has been put up in price to $1200.00 mibby I should've bought it at $800.00....????????:confused:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/172848135595?ul_noapp=true

s-l1600.jpg

PS. I thought I should list this Sansui number 2 QDS-1 Unit that on eBay as well.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-SAN...771822?hash=item1ece74acee:g:wVAAAOSwOEZZfpP5

sansui 2.jpg

Last edited:
Tempted again! I'm always a bit suspicious when items that were sold get relisted. It was probably a non paying bidder, but why the 50% price increase. I suppose that the seller realized that he might be able to get a lot more. You can always make a best offer; like I said temped, but a it's lot of money to spend. The prices of the various Sansui QS encoders for sale on eBay blow me away, encoding is so much simpler than decoding, the prices are based mainly on scarcity I guess?

Back