DVD/DTS Poll Barclay James Harvest - Octoberon [DTS DVD+2CD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DTS DVD-V of Barclay James Harvest - Octoberon

• 10: Great Content, Surround Mix, and Fidelity

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 1: Poor Content, Surround Mix, and Fidelity

• Total voters

rtbluray

Hi-Res Moderator
Staff member
QQ Supporter
Please post your thoughts and comments on this 2017 reissue of the Barclay James Harvest album "Octoberon".
This new reissue from Esoteric Records features a 5.1 surround mix of the album on DVD-V (NOT DVD-A/V as erroneously labeled on the packaging...)
:rolleyes:

(n) :) (y)

81X--tmIQ5L._SL1000_.jpg

RFGVoTU.jpg

3BmRL8v.jpg

(Some packaging shots provided by QQ member Svengaleekie)

I played about half of this incredible disc tonight and here are some random thoughts: I'm really not that familiar with Harvest's output but Octoberon sounds amazing........nicely discrete as well and very highly recommended.

In the interest of accuracy, although Octoberon is NOT a true DVD~A 5.1, it's 96/24 Stereo remaster MOST certainly is DVD~A....STEREO. Otherwise it would NOT play the MLP Stereo 96/24 track in my Meridian 808 which will not access the 96/24 tracks of ANY DVD~V discs.

The DTS 5.1 sounds pretty amazing and the many symphonic flourishes add greatly to what I consider a must have disc.

I will vote when I complete listening to the album.......but I feel a borderline 10 coming on.

I just ordered two more Barclay James Harvest's DVD/RBCD 5.1 combos: Gone to Earth and XII: Expanded Edition from Deep Discount. With their 15% off coupon last week, both, delivered, were $35.

Very Moody Bluish sounding and highly recommended. A very underrated artist, IMO.

I give this one an 8....I like the earlier BJH stuff better, but this one was a pleasant surprise and much better than Gone to Earth, IMHO. Surround mix is quite discrete (more than I expected), though the center channel vocals are WAY too loud. Fidelity is top notch, so if only they had figured out those channel balance issues, this would have been closer to a 9 for me. The sound effects section at the end of "Suicide?" is wild!

I agree with the post above. Sometimes the vocals are too loud. Seems like from Rock n' Roll Star onward. I wasn't annoyed until then.
Anyway, sometimes this mix is a strong 9 and sometimes it's more like a 7. The music is great. Package is a great value. So I went with 8.

I give this one an 8....I like the earlier BJH stuff better, but this one was a pleasant surprise and much better than Gone to Earth, IMHO. Surround mix is quite discrete (more than I expected), though the center channel vocals are WAY too loud. Fidelity is top notch, so if only they had figured out those channel balance issues, this would have been closer to a 9 for me. The sound effects section at the end of "Suicide?" is wild!

I totally agree, the vocals are way too loud in places and sort of spoil it. I hope whoever's responsible sees these posts and recalibrates their set-up accordingly for the next one, saying that it would be nice to get a fixed version of this one!

I have always liked this band with their great pastoral sounds paired perfectly to John and Les incredibly moving voices.

This surround mix is very good, it would have been close to incredible if it wasn't for the centre vocals. At first I thought it was simply mixed too loud, so I lowered the centre channel, but the vocals still stood out, almost like they were too separated somhow.

Other than that a fine, discrete mix. A well deserved 8. Minus for DVD video (especially since the spine says DVD audio) and the slight off vocals part.

I voted 8

Despite the occasional loud lead vocal, this is quite a lovely mix which makes the album truly shine. The fidelity is also superb.

Fave tracks

The World Goes On
Ra (which could have been perfect if the organ in the end coda would have twirled lightly around the room.)
Suicide

Back