Waste of time

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Quadchuck

After working recently on my a3340 and crss80 I was reminded of an experiment i did on the teac.
I recorded the composite fm signal at 15ips. It trigger the 19k pilot lamp but couldn't rebuild the 38k
carrier to decode fm stereo.
That was years ago and I reminded myself lately why it didn't work, but with computor audio at 96k and 192
I could capture mpx signal and decode again playing back into demod of receiver.
I used my pioneer qx646 and it is not the most suitable circuit to work with but it worked enough to lead me to another
thought.
I have a simple encoder for fm stereo and a simple 1 chip decoder sitting around. So I encoded 2 channels of some
quad samples and decoded them fine. I ordered 2 more encoders that hopefully can be modified to work the same.
There are some beautiful and very reasonable encoders on the web but they're in uk and I don't want to go to the trouble
of sending for them.
My goal is to encode L/LR on 1 encoder and R/RR on the other this would make 1 unit L and the other R or recording
them into computor as a single 96k res file playable from comp. or burnable to dvd-a disc.

Why - killing time that I really don't have to kill.
Benefit - just like a compatible cd-4 disc, I will have a compatible file or dvd-a that will play a stereo signal and LF/LR will
be on the L and same for right. Fully listenable with out a decoder as a stereo cd-4 without a decoder, but turn on
decoder and 4 channels restored in fm stereo quality in 4 channels.
I'm not sure if anyone has done this before on forum, if so .....oh well!

I recall someone doing something similar with CD-4 records, he tapped the signal from the CD-4 demodulator, including the sub-carrier recorded it at 96 KHz (or 192) then burned it to a DVD-Audio disc. He then played the disc's back through the CD-4 demodulator to get the original four channels back. I don't remember if that was a thread here or if I saw it someplace else. I once did a test recording of a CD-4 record, straight from the cartridge to the sound card at 96 KHz and you could clearly see the all the sub-carrier information! You can't do that with an analog tape recorder!

Back