Simon & Garfunkel's "Bridge Over Troubled Water"- Multichannel SACD - Cancelled

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Interesting -- Yesterday Amazon apologized for the delay in shipping BOTW to me and asked if I was still interested in the item. For the heck of it I said yes. Will be interesting how long it takes for them to drop this item permanently. Like all of us, would be curious what actually put a stop on this SACD. Oh well......

Interesting -- Yesterday Amazon apologized for the delay in shipping BOTW to me and asked if I was still interested in the item. For the heck of it I said yes. Will be interesting how long it takes for them to drop this item permanently. Like all of us, would be curious what actually put a stop on this SACD. Oh well......

Got the same from Amazon, I'm thinking there's some behind the scene negotiations going on with the artists on this release. I believe the discs have been manufactured and will start shipping from USA sites only......Just gonna wait it out also.

Got the same from Amazon, I'm thinking there's some behind the scene negotiations going on with the artists on this release. I believe the discs have bee manufactured and will start shipping from USA sites only......Just gonna wait it out also.
I got the same and I believe it will not happen, I just cancelled. If anybody ever gets a copy there will be time for me to get a copy.

Amazon finally cancelled this order and on Christmas Day no less:

'Due to a lack of availability, we will not be able to obtain the following item(s) from your order:

SIMON & GARFUNKEL "Bridge Over Troubled Water (Sacdh Multi Hybrid Edition ) (Limited Mini Lp Jacket)"

We've canceled the item(s) and apologize for the inconvenience. We must also apologize for the length of time it has taken us to reach this conclusion.'

Merry Christmas regardless, Quaddies. Lots to be thankful for this year!

Amazon finally cancelled this order and on Christmas Day no less:

'Due to a lack of availability, we will not be able to obtain the following item(s) from your order:

SIMON & GARFUNKEL "Bridge Over Troubled Water (Sacdh Multi Hybrid Edition ) (Limited Mini Lp Jacket)"

We've canceled the item(s) and apologize for the inconvenience. We must also apologize for the length of time it has taken us to reach this conclusion.'

Merry Christmas regardless, Quaddies. Lots to be thankful for this year!
Lack of availability. Well I guess so. That was a good laugh.

The ONLY downside, IMO, being that MoFi did "QUADBLOCK" the 'proposed' QUAD SACD release of Bridge Over Troubled Water [7,500 Vinyl copies @ $99 each..........don't think SONY would've sold that many QUAD SACD copies] and hopefully they don't do the same for the Steely Dan deep catalogue titles.:eek:

The ONLY downside, IMO, being that MoFi did "QUADBLOCK" the 'proposed' QUAD SACD release of Bridge Over Troubled Water [7,500 Vinyl copies @ $99 each..........don't think SONY would've sold that many QUAD SACD copies] and hopefully they don't do the same for the Steely Dan deep catalogue titles.:eek:

could be Ralph.. personally doubt MFSL Quadblocked Sony from releasing BOTW on SACD.. MFSL would've prevented another audiophile reissue label, say, Audio Fidelity from tackling BOTW i would think.. but I get the feeling Sony Japan do what they like and don't care about who else releases what where! ah well, who knows, maybe it went down like that.. i don't imagine we'll ever be privy to the info as to why it got cancelled anyway.. disappointing in the extreme though it is, I've moved on and am focussing now on all the goodies that are coming down the pipe from the Watford Wizards at DV... and various other MultiCh morsels from other surround superstars.! 2018's going great already and we're not even halfway through the year! 😉

If they were clever, they could do both: sell vinyl to the lovers of that medium, and sell surround downloads to us surround fans. The two markets would compete little, if at all. I really wish they could do this with crowdfunding. Five hundred buyers might not be enough at $20 a copy, but some of us would be willing to contribute more to make this happen. Would it be sufficient? I don't know, because I don't know how much money it would take. Las year I asked Scheiner's agent about this, but he was not encouraging. I do hope we have more success with our petition, but I'm not holding my breath. Perhaps humprof could broach the possibility of a crowdfunding effort with his contacts at UMG?

If they were clever, they could do both: sell vinyl to the lovers of that medium, and sell surround downloads to us surround fans. The two markets would compete little, if at all. I really wish they could do this with crowdfunding. Five hundred buyers might not be enough at $20 a copy, but some of us would be willing to contribute more to make this happen. Would it be sufficient? I don't know, because I don't know how much money it would take. Las year I asked Scheiner's agent about this, but he was not encouraging. I do hope we have more success with our petition, but I'm not holding my breath. Perhaps humprof could broach the possibility of a crowdfunding effort with his contacts at UMG?

I already broached that subject when Bridge was canceled by SONY: that BOTH formats....Vinyl and QUAD SACD would BOTH sell well, IMO, and some might buy BOTH.

If UMG is expecting thousands of 'prospective' buyers to sign that petition regarding QUAD releases of the entire Steely Dan catalogue.........it makes one wonder and at this time I don't think UMG would be amenable to offering 5.1 FLAC downloads......but I could be wrong. Personally, I'd prefer the physical discs.

I already broached that subject when Bridge was canceled by SONY: that BOTH formats....Vinyl and QUAD SACD would BOTH sell well, IMO, and some might buy BOTH.

If UMG is expecting thousands of 'prospective' buyers to sign that petition regarding QUAD releases of the entire Steely Dan catalogue.........it makes one wonder and at this time I don't think UMG would be amenable to offering 5.1 FLAC downloads......but I could be wrong. Personally, I'd prefer the physical discs.

I'd love a physical disc, but UMG could keep the fixed cost of the project minuscule by providing only a download. I suspect they'd have a problem with this, though, as (1) it's not the way they usually do business, and (2) it would require them to dispense with DRM. Of course the DRM on all existing disc formats is completely ineffective, but I think it provides a comforting fiction to some people in the industry. Actually I'd prefer a download to an SACD, as it would annoy me that the existing LPCM master was being lossily converted to DSD, and then (in my case) back to LPCM, but realistically I wouldn't be able to hear the difference.

I'd love a physical disc, but UMG could keep the fixed cost of the project minuscule by providing only a download. I suspect they'd have a problem with this, though, as (1) it's not the way they usually do business, and (2) it would require them to dispense with DRM. Of course the DRM on all existing disc formats is completely ineffective, but I think it provides a comforting fiction to some people in the industry. Actually I'd prefer a download to an SACD, as it would annoy me that the existing LPCM master was being lossily converted to DSD, and then (in my case) back to LPCM, but realistically I wouldn't be able to hear the difference.

Personally, Would prefer BD~A so the PCM masters from the analogue tapes remain in the PCM domain but you're right, if they were DSD transferred from the original analogue masters to SACD....it wouldn't really make a difference.

And unless UMG has their VERY own download site, wouldn't make sense to license them out to third party websites....sans DRM.

Or more likely it was announced and then never transferred to DSD back in the day.
In any case, this release will be from a newly done transfer at Sony Music Studios in Tokyo.

I have to say, Sony Japan is doing a GREAT JOB on their quad SACD's in the 7" packaging. These things not only sound great, they are true collectables as the packaging is second to none. It's a damn shame that Paul Simon, or MFSL, or whoever, got the BOTW release cancelled, as that would have been a gem. Bastages!!! :mad::mad::mad:

I have to say, Sony Japan is doing a GREAT JOB on their quad SACD's in the 7" packaging. These things not only sound great, they are true collectables as the packaging is second to none. It's a damn shame that Paul Simon, or MFSL, or whoever, got the BOTW release cancelled, as that would have been a gem. Bastages!!! :mad::mad::mad:

Jon, I still think we'll see BOTW in QUAD maybe NOT this year or next but eventually and I'm finally gratified that someone other than myself points the finger at MoFi/SONY for cornering the market on the S&G titles [both VINYL/Stereo SACD].

Still, pretty SILLY as I'm sure BOTH the MoFi $99 Vinyl and the SONY Japan QUAD SACD would've sold VERY well. Exclusitivity SUCKS!:devilish:MONEY talks....BULLSHIT walks!

until today I did not understand why Sony Japan canceled this SACD disc 4.0 Quad, a mystery really !!!
The real mystery is what the hell are you referring to? What happened today to change anything? You're posting this on multiple forums with zero explanation.

I agree the packaging on these is outstanding!

Now if only I could read Japanese!

Back