Simon & Garfunkel's "Bridge Over Troubled Water"- Multichannel SACD - Cancelled

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Too bad that I have absolutely no interest in this reissue at at all. Sony Japan will have a tough time getting their always inflated prices on this one if they can't get a quad layer going on it.

Thanks for the news anyway.

Looks like Japan Sony Music will release "Bridge Over Troubled Water" on stereo, hybrid SACD, packaged in a 7-inch mini-LP cardboard sleeve.

Coming November 1, 2017

http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/product/SICP-10121

Do we know for sure that this is Stereo only? Unless I am sadly mistaken (entirely possible), I don't see anywhere an indication that it is Stereo or Multi-Channel. The quaint Google translation of the Japanese description comes out as:

"Simon & Garfunkel's Daimyo's board is released on 7 inch paper jacket specification · SACD multi · hybrid board!"

Perhaps someone who knows Japanese (Lute?) can check this out and report back. Note the use of "multi" so I am guardedly optimistic that this could be a surround release.

I really hope that it is released in Multi-Channel as "Bridge Over Troubled Water" lends itself to a surround mix. In any case, the extra resolution should improve the sound quality even in stereo and has the potential to synthesize into decent surround with modes like Dolby ProLogic IIx. Hopefully, the rest of the Simon and Garfunkel catalog will eventually come out on SACD. Even if they are only released in Stereo, these are classic albums that would benefit from the higher resolution.

In spite of the questions over a surround mix, this is very good news and I will be waiting in anticipation on the November 1, 2017 release.

Jim

I'm thinking we may be getting the quad mix folks! It's also listed on HMV Japan's site. A translation of their listing states:

To commemorate the arrival of Art Garfunkel in the masterpiece of S&G, the timeless masterpiece remains in the history of Rock and POPs 7-inch paper jacket specification, SACD Multi-Hybrid (SACD: 4ch + 2ch/CD: 2ch) relapse. The 5th album released in 1970. Grammy Award for Best Album. Both the United States and the British won the first place on the album chart. Single "Bridge to build up Tomorrow" also won the first place in the United States all the British.

Way to go, Sony Japan!

I'm thinking we may be getting the quad mix folks! It's also listed on HMV Japan's site. A translation of their listing states:

To commemorate the arrival of Art Garfunkel in the masterpiece of S&G, the timeless masterpiece remains in the history of Rock and POPs 7-inch paper jacket specification, SACD Multi-Hybrid (SACD: 4ch + 2ch/CD: 2ch) relapse. The 5th album released in 1970. Grammy Award for Best Album. Both the United States and the British won the first place on the album chart. Single "Bridge to build up Tomorrow" also won the first place in the United States all the British.

Way to go, Sony Japan!

:yikes:yikes:yikes:yikes:yikes

:cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:

Fingers crossed! This is one of my all time favorites!!!

Wow Wow Wow...hope it has the SQ gold border like Rough And Ready. This could be the release of the year IMO

If this has the quad mix included, which it SHOULD since it is following the form of the Becks, the Lotus and the Tapestry, then this thing is going to be the release of this era for old farts like us. Most of us have heard the Mike Robin reel in one form or another, and we know how good this mix is.

I would suggest that this be a sure fire pre-order for anyone interested, as I am sure this one will be almost gone before it gets released.

No quad layer? eh. I'll pass. But I think we're getting something really good here. Love that Sony Japan!!! :smokin

PS - It DOES say (SACD:4ch+2ch/CD:2ch) on CDJapan, so that's good enough for me. Those guys are usually spot on.

If this has the quad mix included, which it SHOULD since it is following the form of the Becks, the Lotus and the Tapestry, then this thing is going to be the release of this era for old farts like us. Most of us have heard the Mike Robin reel in one form or another, and we know how good this mix is.

I would suggest that this be a sure fire pre-order for anyone interested, as I am sure this one will be almost gone before it gets released.

No quad layer? eh. I'll pass. But I think we're getting something really good here. Love that Sony Japan!!! :smokin

PS - It DOES say (SACD:4ch+2ch/CD:2ch) on CDJapan, so that's good enough for me. Those guys are usually spot on.

I don't see where it says this on that site. I only see it on the "other" site that Private-U referenced... I do want to believe though, I really do... :)

For what it's worth, according to the Quadraphonic Discography [updated 7~23~17, version 1.9], the original Japanese SQ Pressing COVER of Bridge Over Troubled Water [SOPN~17] was printed on foil paper.

I wonder if SONY Japan will replicate that as they're such sticklers for detail.

If it does indeed include the quad layer, then $38 plus shipping becomes dirt cheap! Keeping my fingers crossed...

Especially considering the SONY Japan Jeff Beck QUAD SACDs were $50+

And also consider that NO US reissue company could ever get the licensing rights to the QUAD version of BOTW!

Especially considering the SONY Japan Jeff Beck QUAD SACDs were $50+

And also consider that NO US reissue company could ever get the licensing rights to the QUAD version of BOTW!

This all seems fishy to me. Why would they sell this title (with Quad) for US $38?? I dunno..... I know, I know I'm being pessimistic....

This all seems fishy to me. Why would they sell this title (with Quad) for US $38?? I dunno..... I know, I know I'm being pessimistic....

Don't you believe in Santa Claus, Gene?

The reissued upcoming QUAD in 7" packaging of Carole King's Tapestry is also selling for $38.....which I'm also going to purchase since, IMO, no one does QUAD like the Japanese [and I do have the first mch SACD of Tapestry]

Never look a gift horse in the mouth....ever hear of that expression?

OK, I took a leap of faith and pre-ordered from CDJapan...why? There is NO chance in hell I'm going to miss out on this title. If I wait until I hear confirmation (absolute confirmation I guess) that it is Quad, I worry there won't be any left to get.

I have spent $40 on a lot worse things....if it ends up stereo only...well.... Oh well.

To me it seems pretty likely that this does indeed include the quad mix. If you google the new catalog number (SICP-10121) all the Japanese sites list it as either "hybrid multi" or "4.0/2.0". These sites don't make up this info, they just reproduce the info they get from the label that's putting the disc out, so if they're all saying it's multichannel I'd say that's a good sign. I'm sure we'll know for sure soon enough when the packshot graphics are released.

This isn't a holy grail release for me personally, but I couldn't be happier that it's coming out. As 4-earredwonder said, this album has never been licensed for digital reissue in the US (or anywhere for that matter) so Sony Japan is really the only chance this quad mix ever had of being released.

As 4-EW also points out, the original Japanese quad release was on a foil paper sleeve (which you can see here) - CBS Japan didn't use the gold border design style at all as far as I know. The original foil cover release was actually a pretty lavish affair, with a silver cap obi-strip and a big yellow SQ 4-Channel sticker on the shrinkwrap, and a nice gatefold with a tracklist and essay in japanese along with recording info and some photos. I think all the quad releases from that era also came with an insert about SQ quad and a list of other titles available. There was also a 1973 quad reissue of the album (SOPM-105) with the cover printed on regular paper that had a 2 page insert glued in to the gatefold (book-style) that had all the lyrics in Japanese. The SQ version of Bridge Over Troubled Water (the song) was also released as a picture sleeve 7" single in Japan so I wouldn't be surprised to see a replica of that in the package as well, as I think some of the Jeff Beck releases featured single replicas.

I wonder if they'll be able to dig up the unreleased Jim Reeves quad mix of Bookends as well?

Don't you believe in Santa Claus, Gene?

The reissued upcoming QUAD in 7" packaging of Carole King's Tapestry is also selling for $38.....which I'm also going to purchase since, IMO, no one does QUAD like the Japanese [and I do have the first mch SACD of Tapestry]

Never look a gift horse in the mouth....ever hear of that expression?

Are you sure that the Tapestry disc is actually the quad mix? The CDJapan listing is unclear as it says 5.1, so could just as easily be a THIRD reissue of the 5.1 remix. I've heard both mixes (I've got the old SACD and the Japan CD-4) and neither really hits the mark IMO, but would consider getting a hi-res quad for collectability.

Back