Simon & Garfunkel's "Bridge Over Troubled Water"- Multichannel SACD - Cancelled

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
CDJapan acknowledged my order last week, and my CC was approved.

A pre-charge "authorization" appeared in my online banking statement. It stayed there two or three days and is gone now; no $$ changed hands.

I have not received any cancellation notice, beyond the temporarily unavailable posting.

But.............this isn't going to happen, is it?

It's looking pretty gloomy. The CDJapan link no longer shows the not currently available blurb, now it just returns PAGE NOT FOUND

I looked at my order and it's still there, however. But that in itself is not that comforting.....

The listing on cdjapan was Sony's way of "testing the waters" to see if there was enough demand for this disc... now that they've got enough pre-orders, it's time to start production, baby!;)

It's looking pretty gloomy. The CDJapan link no longer shows the not currently available blurb, now it just returns PAGE NOT FOUND

I looked at my order and it's still there, however. But that in itself is not that comforting.....

Not at all....when multiple sites leaves PAGE NOT FOUND than something is very, very wrong.

This situation reminds me of--and this might be for many here ancient history--the Japan Odeon CD edition of the Beatles' ABBEY ROAD, which was pressed once and found its way to our shores as an import. It was the first official--or so we thought--compact disc from the Fabs, but just a month or two after it became available (remember, this is pre-internet) EMI and/or Apple (Corps) demanded its withdrawal, and it was gone. Then for several years no legit Beatles on CD was available (and when this finally happened, some of the remasters, alas, just sucked).

Here we are in 2017, and no sooner than the hybrid BOTW was announced, of course it was yanked, with scant hope any copies will make it to anybody. Which is to say, there is so much I dig about the 'net, and some aspects that, like anything else, just suck. It's now easier to propagate misinformation and lies, fake or misrepresented photos; anything. Anything goes and there's so much to filter. This album may not be great, but a very commercial title for a hybrid.

My hope for this release is now down to 1%...if it was pressed, and if just a few of us snag one, well...

ED :)

everything comes to he who waits, Ralphie ;)

Well, Adam, I've been waiting for A Bridge Over Troubled Water [QUAD] for almost 50 years and it looks as though that bridge has been washed out.......or abridged, for wont of a better word!:yikes

Last edited:
Really???

I've noticed that lots of things never come to those that wait, and they die without ever seeing things they really wanted to see.

But I guess it's a nice thought, even if fantasy.

is this the real life? is this just fantasy?

bah... i dunno.. but its fun speculating on what might be a landslide with no escape from reality..

you know the drill as well as I do; expect nothing - and whatever crumbs we're thrown will be lapped up mercifully

Well, Adam, I've been waiting for A Bridge Over Troubled Water [QUAD] for almost 50 years and it looks as though that bridge has been washed out.......or abridged, for wont of a better word!:yikes

I hear you Ralph.. fwiw I'm trying to see these troubled Quad waters a bit more, pragmatically, maybe.. after all, its not like the BOTW Quad hasn't been "out there" in some shape or form (whether SQ, Q8 or the Robin bob bob bobbin reel) the last however many years.. so long.. so long..

I just received this response from CDJapan. Still I'm not sure if it makes me believe I will ever see it.

Hello.

Thank you for contacting CDJapan.

Actually, we are a bit frustrated about this, because they did not offer any clear explanation, but the record company needed to discontinue acceptance of orders temporarily for some type of internal reasons of their own.

They could offer an explanation or tell us when they will resume order acceptance, but I'd like to reassure you that your order will continue to be processed.

Sincerely,
Toshi Makiya

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just received this response from CDJapan. Still I'm not sure if it makes me believe I will ever see it.

Hello.

Actually, we are a bit frustrated about this, because they did not offer any clear explanation, but the record company needed to discontinue acceptance of orders temporarily for some type of internal reasons of their own.

They could offer an explanation or tell us when they will resume order acceptance, but I'd like to reassure you that your order will continue to be processed.

Sincerely,
Toshi Makiya

That sounds pretty ominous. Hopefully they will honour the orders that have been placed. Sounds to me though that somebody somewhere didn't like that this was going on. Well, let's hope those of us who got our pre-orders in will see something tangible.

Hello.

Sincerely,
Toshi Makiya

I received the same note
Ron

Does anyone really see this happening at this point?

I mean, it was obviously pulled for some reason and what else could it be but putting a stop to it? Anything else could be worked out behind the scenes before the release date and they would just keep the preorders coming in the meantime.

I'm debating whether to hang in there for a bit and see what happens or just get my money back now. It's a bit of change to have tied up for who knows how long, when it could be going towards something else.

The quad was my only reason for ordering this to begin with. I don't need another version in Stereo.

I'm really interested to see how this is going to be handled. I'm sure they're not just going to press an extremely limited "secret" run just for those of us that were quick enough to already preorder before they shut it down! Haha. CDJapan seems to be somewhat optimistic here but I'm not feeling it.

Allow me to offer a more optimistic scenario. Perhaps the record label initially had intended to release the title in Stereo-only, but decided to put a hold on it so that they could include the discrete quad content in response to the number of customer inquiries. :smokin

That sounds pretty ominous. Hopefully they will honour the orders that have been placed. Sounds to me though that somebody somewhere didn't like that this was going on. Well, let's hope those of us who got our pre-orders in will see something tangible.

It also could be that the license agreement for this reissue is limited by the number of copies vs. a period of time.
In that case, it would make sense to stop taking pre-orders once the sales limit is reached.

I'm glad some are staying a bit positive with comments that damn near seem reasonable to me. Yeah, that's the ticket....I'll keep telling myself that. I really do want this thing... :chill

I'm glad some are staying a bit positive with comments that damn near seem reasonable to me. Yeah, that's the ticket....I'll keep telling myself that. I really do want this thing... :chill

Gene, perhaps SONY Japan discovered a pristine QUAD remaster of Bookends and is going to offer BOTW/Bookends as a two~fer :yikes

Back