Simon & Garfunkel's "Bridge Over Troubled Water"- Multichannel SACD - Cancelled

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What a journey this has all been.....only to end up this way. I can be an optimist when it's called for...but in this case, I truly lost my faith the moment they yanked it from their site. :violin

What a journey this has all been.....only to end up this way. I can be an optimist when it's called for...but in this case, I truly lost my faith the moment they yanked it from their site. :violin

Not to worry...there will be an "unexpected" one in the future that nobody saw coming...that's been the trend and I don't see that changing...think of it this way...you can't lose something that you never had...I've developed a high threshold for pain because I have waited YEARS for some MoFi titles which were announced and FINALLY released...like the Billy Joel Greatest Hits Vol #1 and #2...and it was worth the wait...I would check monthly on Acoustic Sounds and other sites for some movement on that title...and nothing...the months passed and then the years passed...and then one day I saw an actual date...and there it was...it's not like there are no new releases coming out....

As James T Kirk said..."may fortune favor the foolish":spot

Not to worry...there will be an "unexpected" one in the future that nobody saw coming.

When it comes to reissues, that has always been the case.
There are so many places along the way where a reissue can be halted that it sometimes is amazing that they get released at all. :)

It seems ironic that CDJapan sent out this last night. Why? Because yesterday morning, I decided to email them again and basically told them a lot of folks have been waiting a long time and have already spent the money. I told them I wanted them to refund money if the disc is not coming. And...look what happened.

(n)

Next time Gene, end with better options, "I told them I wanted either a Blu-ray or DVD-Audio of this if the disc is not coming."

When it comes to reissues, that has always been the case.
There are so many places along the way where a reissue can be halted that it sometimes is amazing that they get released at all. :)

With the disc medium there is always a challenge of getting the discs manufactured...and especially on these box sets with different types of discs(LPs...dvds...blu rays..cds..)...there certainly are a lot of hoops to jump thru to get a title to market..

OK, a question. Was Bridge Over Troubled Waters ever released in Japan in a discrete format.
Wondering if they can only locate the SQ master.

I'd guess it has more to do with either a) artist approval issues for the planned reissue or b) the quality of the tapes of the album in the vault.

With the disc medium there is always a challenge of getting the discs manufactured...and especially on these box sets with different types of discs(LPs...dvds...blu rays..cds..)...there certainly are a lot of hoops to jump thru to get a title to market..

True.

That helps to explain why we see some new releases lately appearing weeks earlier as downloads before physical discs.
Not to mention that sometimes the choice is a Stereo CD (optical disc) or a Download in DSD Stereo and Surround Sound.

On the other hand, when it comes to reissues, they generally appear on optical disc and are subject to the same hurdles as before.
Including licensing, artist approval, disc artwork and packaging, quality of the tapes in the vault, etc....

Grrr, pretty ticked off at CDJ right now. E-mailed them to tell them with the cancelled item I would no longer want the order (had Communique SHM-SACD and Tapestry SACD MCH) and 6 hours later they e-mailed back to say my order had shipped.

I think you should have the option of giving the orderee at least 24 hours to decide if they still want the order when an item is cancelled. Of course I'll be out money to send it back and get a refund. That's a lot of moolah to put out to not get the one F'N thing you really wanted.

(n)(n)(n)

I'm not surprised. It almost seemed too good to be true.
Hope for the best, but expect the worst.
Oh well. Got my money back. No harm, No foul.
Least they could have given us a proper reason, but I'd be willing to bet it has something to do with artist approval.

Anti-quad Artist with some very good quad music produced in the 70's .

I suspect the anti-quad aspect may have come about from contract demands from the label at that time . Possibly something like the Polydor quad "Boondoggle's" that Atlanta Rythm Section dealt with .

Too bad really. Could've, would've liked this quad re-issue.

Oh well, time to focus on other surround endeavors .

I know, I know....I really do. But why in the hell after all that has transpired with this title does Amazon US have it listed? They never did, did they? Dopes.....

Anyway, here is the link. Again, I know. It's been cancelled. But WTF?

Amazon US

Well, we may never know why, really. It's easy to blame Paul Simon, and he or someone in his 'camp' may indeed have killed the title. Or maybe, for that matter, this was a situation similar to the ABBEY ROAD Japan CD back in '84 or so, when EMI Odeon issued the title on disc without EMI or Apple Corps' approval. It was soon pulled, but not before thousands were sold (I know, because it was imported and was lucky enough to snag a copy). It's very possible that someone at Sony Japan came up with the idea, got it at least to the demo stage (that is, mastered and even ready for packaging, with the pre-order announcement then issued), but then someone at the Big Company got wind (seeing the same listings as we did), checked it out and quashed it. I'll bet that's just how it happened, although back in the day, the ABBEY ROAD disc did get issued, since there were no pre-orders on the 'net back then to tip anyone off.

But as Fizzy says, time to move on, this is flogging a dead disc, as it were. And there is still the SQ Lp and Q8 for those who love it that much, inferior as these are compared to the SACD sonic potential. Ah well....

ED :)

I know, I know....I really do. But why in the hell after all that has transpired with this title does Amazon US have it listed? They never did, did they? Dopes.....

Anyway, here is the link. Again, I know. It's been cancelled. But WTF?

Amazon US

LoL Snood went ahead and ordered again :rolleyes: They don;t charge til they ship so wth :banana:

LoL Snood went ahead and ordered again :rolleyes: They don;t charge til they ship so wth :banana:

Said I wasn't going to, but the Mrs. likes the album and you never know if anybody will get one. So No disc, No charge......

Back