Simon & Garfunkel's "Bridge Over Troubled Water"- Multichannel SACD - Cancelled

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
To me it seems pretty likely that this does indeed include the quad mix. If you google the new catalog number (SICP-10121) all the Japanese sites list it as either "hybrid multi" or "4.0/2.0". These sites don't make up this info, they just reproduce the info they get from the label that's putting the disc out, so if they're all saying it's multichannel I'd say that's a good sign. I'm sure we'll know for sure soon enough when the packshot graphics are released.

This isn't a holy grail release for me personally, but I couldn't be happier that it's coming out. As 4-earredwonder said, this album has never been licensed for digital reissue in the US (or anywhere for that matter) so Sony Japan is really the only chance this quad mix ever had of being released.

As 4-EW also points out, the original Japanese quad release was on a foil paper sleeve (which you can see here) - CBS Japan didn't use the gold border design style at all as far as I know. The original foil cover release was actually a pretty lavish affair, with a silver cap obi-strip and a big yellow SQ 4-Channel sticker on the shrinkwrap, and a nice gatefold with a tracklist and essay in japanese along with recording info and some photos. I think all the quad releases from that era also came with an insert about SQ quad and a list of other titles available. There was also a 1973 quad reissue of the album (SOPM-105) with the cover printed on regular paper that had a 2 page insert glued in to the gatefold (book-style) that had all the lyrics in Japanese. The SQ version of Bridge Over Troubled Water (the song) was also released as a picture sleeve 7" single in Japan so I wouldn't be surprised to see a replica of that in the package as well, as I think some of the Jeff Beck releases featured single replicas.

I wonder if they'll be able to dig up the unreleased Jim Reeves quad mix of Bookends as well?

steelydave, I didn't want to jump the gun, but BOOKENDS is one of my VERY favorite S&G albums......bar none. I knew it had a QUAD remix but it was not listed in the QUAD discography as it remained unreleased. Thanks for bringing that to our attention.

But as the saying goes.....one day [and one release] at a time!

Are you sure that the Tapestry disc is actually the quad mix? The CDJapan listing is unclear as it says 5.1, so could just as easily be a THIRD reissue of the 5.1 remix. I've heard both mixes (I've got the old SACD and the Japan CD-4) and neither really hits the mark IMO, but would consider getting a hi-res quad for collectability.

Sorry, it IS the 5.1 remaster. IMO, Tapestry was considered an audiophile darling having been pressed on various 180/200g Vinyl editions but, personally, the original SONY 5.1 SACD never struck me as approaching audiophile. Based on what SONY Japan managed to extract from the Beck QUAD SACD remasters [better, IMO, than any of the American QUAD reissues] I will be taking a 'chance' on purchasing SONY Japan's newly minted Tapestry SACD.

And you're correct about Tapestry's rather conservative surround remix. It's pretty tame.....with some discrete flourishes here and there.

steelydave, I didn't want to jump the gun, but BOOKENDS is one of my VERY favorite S&G albums......bar none. I knew it had a QUAD remix but it was not listed in the QUAD discography as it remained unreleased. Thanks for bringing that to our attention.

But as the saying goes.....one day [and one release] at a time!

Yeah, the only reason we know it exists is because Jim Reeves mentioned it in the credits section of his website. It's unknown if Sony know where these tapes are now, or if they even exist - I know a few of the S&G hi-rez downloads from a couple of years ago were sourced from EQ'ed LP cutting copy tapes because the original masters are unusuable, so you can never take these things for granted.

I completely agree with your 'one release at a time' philosophy too - Sony Japan's approach seems to be to grab the low-hanging fruit first, and then go from there. With Jeff Beck it was simply just to re-issue the already authored/mastered version of Blow By Blow from the early 00's in new packaging, but once that was successful they expanded their horizons.

I suspect (and hope) the upcoming Tapestry SACD is the 5.1 mix, simply because the quad mix is 100% fake. I hope, however, as with the Jeff Beck releases, that the reissue of the already authored/mastered version of Tapestry will fare well and lead to SACD reissue of the other Carole King quad mixes (Music, Rhymes & Reasons, Fantasy) as they're all subtle and nicely done - but most importantly real quad.

Now you've got my attention!

Old friends......sat on their park bench like bookends.

And that haunting banter inside the old Jewish Nursing Home......pure genius. "I can't be young.....I have to be an Old Man!"

IMO, BOOKENDS IS A BONE FIDE WORK OF GENIUS. Having that in QUAD would be THE REAL COUP!

Ordered both Simon and Garfunkel and Carol King. The translation on their website had "multi" in the description for both of them, so fingers crossed we get the quad mix.

Bridge over Tomorrow [Limited Release] / Simon & Garfunkel
Simon & Garfunkel's Daimyo's board is released on 7 inch paper jacket specification · SACD multi · hybrid board!​

Tapestry [Limited Release] / Carole King
We will release the timeless famous "Tsuberei" on the 7 inch paper jacket & SACD multi-hybrid board!​

This is very cool news, I went through the order process, came to $56 Canadian with second cheapest shipping so I have to think about it as that's still a bit of coin for just one album.
Never ordered from cdjapan, will this be available on any other closer to home site?
I think that is double the price I paid for 3 Cd boxset(Old Friends), this is what is making me take a second take on price.
This is a landmark album for sure and I would love to have it if it's the real deal and do we know if this is a first generation quad conversion.
I might wait till people from here get it first and report what this actually is.

peter

This is very cool news, I went through the order process, came to $56 Canadian with second cheapest shipping so I have to think about it as that's still a bit of coin for just one album.
Never ordered from cdjapan, will this be available on any other closer to home site?
I think that is double the price I paid for 3 Cd boxset(Old Friends), this is what is making me take a second take on price.
This is a landmark album for sure and I would love to have it if it's the real deal and do we know if this is a first generation quad conversion.
I might wait till people from here get it first and report what this actually is.

peter

Peter,

I have ordered all kinds of stuff from CDJapan and they provide excellent, fast service. If you can combine some other items with this order then the shipping costs come down dramatically per disc. In my experience, I have rarely found the Japanese SACDs or SHM-Cds cheaper anywhere else. The product is almost always of very high quality and to me is worth the higher prices.

As to whether "Bridge Over Troubled Water" is worth the fairly high price, you will have to make that decision. I have already made mine as I pre-ordered it today.

Hope this helps.

Jim

You guys betta be riiiiiiiiiiiiight - SNood just ordered - saw this post earlier but saw stereo and went meeeeeeeeeeeeh :rolleyes:

With my cdJapan points got it shipped for 37 bux and it beeeeeeeeeettter be Quad!!!!! :howl

If so then :banana:

God I hope everyone is in for a big treat. We are due for something special and this is a special title.

I think that "The Boxer" sounds more emotional in its quad mix, that part where the acoustic guitars are going, it's lovely and more powerful in quad - I found this from listening to the reel conversion.

If this turns out to be quad, then we will know that most anything from Sony is a possibility, Santana studio albums included.

I think I recall balanced sounding with discreet parts here and there and even small bits of music not used in the stereo mix.

It's a bit more spacious and imo more high fidelity (actually better sound quality) than the stereo mix.

While this is a hot topic, can anybody who has heard the quad please describe the mix?
Is it drums in corner uber-quad or stereo drums, more balanced-sounding?

Pretty good mix overall but it doesn't have the extreme separation that many Columbia mixes designed for the limitations of the SQ matrix have. It's definitely not a "set it and forget it" mix when it comes to instrument placement though...some songs have vocals in all four speakers and bleed of certain instruments, while others wipe the vocal out of the rear completely. Seems like they put a lot of time into customizing the mix to fit each song. No corner drums or bass but there are a few 360 pans that make sense in the context of the song. Don't want to spoil anything but "So Long, Frank Lloyd Wright" is probably the highlight, though "Cecilia" and "Baby Driver" are also really well mixed IMO. Comments are based off a great Q8 conversion btw. IIRC there are some very specific comments about the mix in the poll thread if you want exact details.

Though this may be superior content-wise (IMO)...I'd say Simon's solo quads have better mixes. Haven't heard the Garfunkel quads so can't comment.

News of this release really made my day...Sony Japan rocks!

Back