Simon & Garfunkel's "Bridge Over Troubled Water"- Multichannel SACD - Cancelled

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have ordered all kinds of stuff from CDJapan and they provide excellent, fast service. If you can combine some other items with this order then the shipping costs come down dramatically per disc.

I second this.

I ordered 8 of the recently discounted (1000 yen ea) stereo HFPA BD's and second day shipping from Japan to Cali was only like $30 (that's only $3.50 per disc, (what it would almost cost to ship first class in America state to state)) and guess what, it arrived at my doorstep in 2 days.

Beat that amazon Prime lol

BTW, love this album

1. "Bridge over Troubled Water"
2. "El Condor Pasa (If I Could)"
3. "Cecilia"
6. "The Boxer"

some of my favorite S&G songs.

Lets just say I've had chemically induced revelatory moments with this album. :)

I have ordered it. If it isn't quad it's going in the trash.

Compared to D-V SACDs at £10.99 this is about £30 with a very real possibility of being stung for UK V.A.T. (£6) and the "collection charge" rip off (£8) levied by Royal Mail - which would take it up to £44.

I likewise placed an order for BOTW, Carole King's Tapestry and Sir Adrian Boult's magnificent "The Planets" recorded in 1966 in Kingsway Hall with the London Ambrosian Singers: Warners Japan Stereo SACD.

Hoping that SONY Japan will step up their magnificent QUAD/5.1 series and hopefully, Warners Japan which has re~released some of their 5.1 [former] DVD~A releases on SACD will offer us some surround surprises, as well.:)

And we thought with Audio Fidelity existing the QUAD/5.1 SACD market all was lost.:(

These releases are VERY limited so order a copy ASAP.

Compared to D-V SACDs at £10.99 this is about £30 with a very real possibility of being stung for UK V.A.T. (£6) and the "collection charge" rip off (£8) levied by Royal Mail - which would take it up to £44.

That really does SUCK. The three SACDs I ordered from CDJapan are being shipping separately and each one incurred a $4.53 [500 yen] s/h charge and will take approximately three weeks to reach me, but hey, we waited almost 50 years for a hi res QUAD remaster of Bridge....what's a few more days.:chill

Then of course there's the VISA charge for international transactions. But still, nothing like the UK and even Canada's, :yikes, outrageous s/h charges.

BTW, 4 MORE D~V QUADs this month and as you said £10.99 is a brilliantly cheap price for a QUAD/5.1 SACD ....... and those two~fers.........:music to my ears.

And we thought with Audio Fidelity existing the QUAD/5.1 SACD market all was lost.:(

These releases are VERY limited so order a copy ASAP.

Rumors of quadraphonic dying completely out on SACD because of too few people interested seems to be an exaggeration. Because there sure have been a lot of quad masters released recently.

You could always flip it over at the SH forum classifieds. There are folks there whose brains are wired without the sophistication needed for proper four channel listening. Some of them even believe that a disc having a surround layer can effect the playback quality of the stereo layer.
You are safe with investment in this title. ?

Last edited:
Yeah, the only reason we know it exists is because Jim Reeves mentioned it in the credits section of his website. It's unknown if Sony know where these tapes are now, or if they even exist - I know a few of the S&G hi-rez downloads from a couple of years ago were sourced from EQ'ed LP cutting copy tapes because the original masters are unusuable, so you can never take these things for granted.

I completely agree with your 'one release at a time' philosophy too - Sony Japan's approach seems to be to grab the low-hanging fruit first, and then go from there. With Jeff Beck it was simply just to re-issue the already authored/mastered version of Blow By Blow from the early 00's in new packaging, but once that was successful they expanded their horizons.

I suspect (and hope) the upcoming Tapestry SACD is the 5.1 mix, simply because the quad mix is 100% fake. I hope, however, as with the Jeff Beck releases, that the reissue of the already authored/mastered version of Tapestry will fare well and lead to SACD reissue of the other Carole King quad mixes (Music, Rhymes & Reasons, Fantasy) as they're all subtle and nicely done - but most importantly real quad.

It's harder to predict how a JPN Tapestry will do especially with a Hong Kong SACD reissue just out recently.

Sadly the tax collection rip-off fee has gone up, I think it was £12 the last time.

I also paid for the tracked postage, so £16.17 after my Tangerine Dream got lost (in the UK it seems) and then returned to Japan! (not CDJapan's fault, they were really good :) and I reordered), so £45.91 before the VAT/Import Duty and the rip-off tax collection fee. So I really hope its in Quad.

You could always flip it over at the SH forum classifieds. There are folks there whose brains are wired without the sophistication needed for proper four channel listening. Some of them even believe that a disc having a surround layer can effect the playback quality of the stereo layer.

:mad: do they believe in witchcraft as well? I know it would be like pushing a stick into a Hornet's nest, but it would be 'fun' to ask if they think that perhaps they could provide proof. :couch If you can't measure the differences you can't improve things. Perhaps they haven't aligned their lo-fi with the lay-lines in their area :ugham:

Just keep hitting the ether with all those positive :banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana:!

You guys betta be riiiiiiiiiiiiight - SNood just ordered - saw this post earlier but saw stereo and went meeeeeeeeeeeeh :rolleyes:

With my cdJapan points got it shipped for 37 bux and it beeeeeeeeeettter be Quad!!!!! :howl

If so then :banana:

Sure love this group.

I ordered BOTW and the Carol King. Like everyone I'm expecting/hoping they are quad. If they aren't quad I'll either sell them sealed (eventually), or if the sound-quality reviews are good, maybe keep them. I don't have a decent sounding copy of BOTW. My redbook CD sounds terribly muddy.

Either way, thanks to everyone here for pointing out this opportunity.

Steve

:mad: do they believe in witchcraft as well? I know it would be like pushing a stick into a Hornet's nest, but it would be 'fun' to ask if they think that perhaps they could provide proof. :couch If you can't measure the differences you can't improve things. Perhaps they haven't aligned their lo-fi with the lay-lines in their area :ugham:

You can compare the stereo only fanatics to those who still believe THE WORLD IS FLAT !

No she's not. SHE'S A ROUND !

That Bugs Bunny Cartoon states it so well. :D

steelydave, I didn't want to jump the gun, but BOOKENDS is one of my VERY favorite S&G albums......bar none. I knew it had a QUAD remix but it was not listed in the QUAD discography as it remained unreleased. Thanks for bringing that to our attention.

But as the saying goes.....one day [and one release] at a time!

I had no idea there were quad mixes made for any of this. I'll speculate based on the album production in general that I'd very much like any original quad mix of Bookends!
I like folk S&G well enough and some tracks more than others but this album took that to the next level IMHO. Nothing else in their catalog came close to what they did here for me.

Sorry to digress about Bookends in this Troubled Water thread.

I'm also salty any time I see something released in DSD format instead of HD PCM but I guess it's better than nothing. Not a Sony fan.

I ordered mine this morning, but I really hope that it has multichannel content.

How about Piano Man next? I have the 2-channel MFSL SACD, but I would buy it again in a heartbeat if it came out with the original quad.

I ordered mine this morning, but I really hope that it has multichannel content.

How about Piano Man next? I have the 2-channel MFSL SACD, but I would buy it again in a heartbeat if it came out with the original quad.

YES

But turnstiles would be even better since there's no Q8

Originally Posted by Quadzilla

YES

But turnstiles would be even better since there's no Q8

I'll take 'em both! C'mon Sony! Billy Joel's one of your biggest (if not THE BIGGEST) artists in your catalog. Release 'em!

Grrrr... I don't have any cdjapan points right now. >$40 is asking an awful lot for one disc.
Still, if the quad is absolutely confirmed and there is still any stock I'll probably pick this up for my Mom's birthday. Her OPPO needs some OPPO Chow.

Buy 2. Store 1 for a year. Sell it on eBay for $100+

FREE SACD :banana:

Old friends......sat on their park bench like bookends.

And that haunting banter inside the old Jewish Nursing Home......pure genius. "I can't be young.....I have to be an Old Man!"

IMO, BOOKENDS IS A BONE FIDE WORK OF GENIUS. Having that in QUAD would be THE REAL COUP!

BOOKENDS would indeed be a "must " purchase for me.
FWIW also in quad , Bob Mclure at CBS had S & G'S - "Mrs. Robinson " mixed in quad for use of the Scheiber Matrix Demo tape.
-post #80
https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/showthread.php?20318-Discussion-with-Thomas-Mowrey/page4

Just ordered CDJapan. My experience with all the 7" mini discs is they have advertising in there packaging and all discs become released. That was true with Jeff Beck, I believe Santana is still on the way.

Back