Simon & Garfunkel's "Bridge Over Troubled Water"- Multichannel SACD - Cancelled

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I received this from cdjapan this morning...

Hi. Thank you for your inquiry.

It is only stereo.

Best Regards,
(I removed name to protect privacy)

Yes, we got the exact same reply, really sad and a missed opportunity really.

I can't find where on the cdjapan site to cancel a preorder. I don't see any point in buying it if it is only stereo, not for that kind of money. :mad:

Yes, we got the exact same reply, really sad and a missed opportunity really.

They have changed the description in English on their site to include (SACD: 4ch+2ch / CD:2ch).
But the description in Japanese says (SA-CD 5.1ch, SA-CD 2ch, CD).

[emoji53]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I can't find where on the cdjapan site to cancel a preorder. I don't see any point in buying it if it is only stereo, not for that kind of money. :mad:

In the email confirmation you received from CDJapan with your order there is a contact CD Japan link [CDJapan customer support]. Supply them with your order number and specify you wish to cancel the order.

They will promptly reply.

Sadly, I'm going to cancel both orders for Tapestry and BOTW.

Addenda: I DID cancel both orders with CDJapan [and yes, I AM royally bummed out].

Seems strange, but all along, I never saw any reference on CDJapan about multi-channel. But today, down below under description, it says

Description
Cardboard sleeve reissue release from Simon & Garfunkel feature SACD multi Hybrid format (SACD: 4ch+2ch / CD:2ch). 7-inch-sized cardboard sleeve packaging.

Seems strange, but all along, I never saw any reference on CDJapan about multi-channel. But today, down below under description, it says

Description
Cardboard sleeve reissue release from Simon & Garfunkel feature SACD multi Hybrid format (SACD: 4ch+2ch / CD:2ch). 7-inch-sized cardboard sleeve packaging.

If they email me back with a confirmation that it is indeed multichannel, I will certainly reinstate my order but as it stands, their reply to several QQ members was to the contrary.

If they email me back with a confirmation that it is indeed multichannel, I will certainly reinstate my order but as it stands, their reply to several QQ members was to the contrary.

Yeah, I've read....

Is it possible, they don't know what they have? Though, if both Tapestry and BOTW end up being stereo only - that would easily explain why they both are lower priced.

Yeah, I've read....

Is it possible, they don't know what they have? Though, if both Tapestry and BOTW end up being stereo only - that would easily explain why they both are lower priced.

I just checked out the CDJapan website [for the fiftieth time] and now it does state 4 channel/2channel, etc for BOTW. It wasn't stated that way on their site yesterday when I placed my order. ????????????

http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/product/SICP-10121

BTW, and I can't confirm this, but years ago [the early 80's] S&G's producer, Roy Halee, used to frequent my high end audio store in Scarsdale, NY and he told the proprietor [a very good friend of mine] that the original master tapes for S&G were chock full of endless splices so doubtful this edition could've been struck from the absolute original master tapes. :yikes

Makes you wonder if the QUAD master, probably untouched since the early 70's, is in better shape than the ORIGINAL stereo masters.

The Tapestry listing @ CDJapan also has 5.1 hybrid SACD listed in the disc's description but CDJapan supposedly confirmed that it too is stereo only. What REALLY GIVES http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/product/SICP-10120

Just been to the Sony Japan Japanese language site and can find no listing for this title that is supposed to be released on November 1st
(They have releases scheduled until 11/29)

Just been to the Sony Japan Japanese language site and can find no listing for this title that is supposed to be released on November 1st
(They have releases scheduled until 11/29)

It's really alarming that three websites [HMV, AmazonJP and now CDJAPAN] ALL list Tapestry and Bridge as having multichannel layers so there has to be a definitive confirmation one way or another or there will be a lot of returns or future cancellations.

Is there any way of contacting SONY Japan directly for such a confirmation?

Not to belabor the issue but it seems illogical that three prominent websites could have been issued erroneous information from the vendor [SONY Japan] regarding the BOTW SACD reissue [since it's such a prominent A list title].

This is a problem with a lot of preorders. Online retailers are notified of the product release, but the labels give them very little information. I don't fault cdjapan. They are posting what they have available to them.

They may be referring to a "quad matrix " encoded copy of BOTW akin to the Santana Lotus disc A.F. released from Japanese masters.
-just saying. :rolleyes:

They may be referring to a "quad matrix " encoded copy of BOTW akin to the Santana Lotus disc A.F. released from Japanese masters.
-just saying. :rolleyes:

Well, we have almost two months for them to clarify things. At least I didn't waste my money on EITHER Lotus SACD. My SQ-encoded Redbook CD is just fine.

Well, we have almost two months for them to clarify things. At least I didn't waste my money on EITHER Lotus SACD. My SQ-encoded Redbook CD is just fine.

Yea, I hear you. My cd's of Lotus (83 ?) are just fine by me.

But I hope I'm wrong about the S&G disc. I like it and would love a discrete copy SACD .

Exactly, there is plenty of time to sort these things out. I'm not afraid of them "selling out"...although the interest is high on this forum...we represent such a small segment of the buyers community that it is unlikely to happen...I did send an email to CDJapan with a link to their item listing which mentions 4CH and advised them to correct the listing if it isn't 4CH...

Sent a cancellation request today for both BOTW and Tapestry. Since I paid with PayPay their website said I have to send them an email or contact them directly to cancel. Hopefully this turns out being painless (I'll keep everyone posted).

This may turn out to be a quad mix, but given all the confusion I'm going to wait a bit longer until it's all sorted out.

if quad mix is included I'm in but will wait for confirmation one way or the other....
I do wonder when would be the best time to sell my mono Bookends for max cash, it's a beauty:)

Is the problem cdJapan is not backing up theit words below?

Description

Description in Japanese

明日に架ける橋 [完全生産限定盤] / サイモン&ガーファンクル
サイモン&ガーファンクルの大名盤を7インチ紙ジャケ&SACDハイブリット盤(=SA-CD 5.1ch, SA-CD 2ch, CD)で発売!

There is a hell of a lot of multichannel 4-ch, multi Hybrid and 5.1 in there for it to be stereo only. Someone must have done a copy and paste right off of a Jeff Beck disc without reading one word of it.

I guess we won't really know until the Carole King Tapestry shows up. If that one is 5.1/4.0, then the chances the BOTW is as well are good. If not, then it's a big bummer.

Honestly, you really can't count on anything about audio releases these days. We could be pleasantly surprised, or it could be just the normal surround fan disappointment/frustration. Thankfully there was the Mike Robin reel of this one, which is pretty damn close to retail release quality.

Back