Simon & Garfunkel's "Bridge Over Troubled Water"- Multichannel SACD - Cancelled

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Alright, now that's settled. Still NOBODY, and I mean NOBODY, better tell Paul Simon about this. Keep it to ourselves until this comes out!!!! ;)

Yeah, no shit. Maybe put the bug in somebody's ear who's in control to have him tested for Alzheimers or Dementia. :confused:

Got an email from CDJapan this morning with this stuff highlighted, so we must be good to go:

Featured Items

Simon & Garfunkel / Bridge Over Troubled Water
Cardboard sleeve reissue release from Simon & Garfunkel feature SACD multi Hybrid format (SACD: 4ch+2ch / CD:2ch). 7-inch-sized cardboard sleeve packaging.
SACD | Release:2017/11/01 | Price:4200yen (US$ 38.35)

Queen / News Of The World
*The contents of this release will be identical to the worldwide release, except for SHM-CD format. Super deluxe edition of "News Of The World" from Queen consists of 3 SHM-CDs . . .
CD | Release:2017/11/17 | Price:18500yen (US$ 168.92)

Carole King / Tapestry
7-inch mini LP reissue of Carole King's masterpiece, "Tapestry." Features SACD multi hybrid (SACD 5.1ch, SACD 2ch, CD).
SACD | Release:2017/09/27 | Price:4200yen (US$ 38.35)

Preoredered BOTW based on CD Japan email to Jon. Hey, if it turns out to be just stereo we'll still probably get our money back on the resale market after this sells out..

Preoredered BOTW based on CD Japan email to Jon. Hey, if it turns out to be just stereo we'll still probably get our money back on the resale market after this sells out..

With the quad layer this is a hundred dollar disc when it sells out at retail. I might have to grab an extra one, been doing that a bit lately.

With the quad layer this is a hundred dollar disc when it sells out at retail. I might have to grab an extra one, been doing that a bit lately.

That's what I did with Pink Floyd, Wish You Were Here. I was shocked at what I sold my second copy for ... even though I got a very 'generous' offer here, for exactly what I paid for it. :rolleyes:

Well, this has got me giddy -- that can be as dangerous to the wallet as reading the news can be dangerous to my sanity. Still, I simply can't resist this if it is indeed quad. Like others here, I'd end up just kicking myself down the road when it's out of my financial reach. I wouldn't be able to listen to, say, "Cecilia," "Only Living Boy in New York," or "El Condor Pasa" without wondering how the quad sounds.

More pragmatically, I implicitly trust the fine folks here at QQ, so I'm curious what shipping members recommend. Having re-read this thread and checked cdjapan, I'm pretty confident that this will be quad (fingers, toes and eyes crossed). Just need to figure out the shipping and keep an eye here just in case this turns out strictly stereo.

Also, if anyone here is also interested in some steeply discounted Blu-ray audio discs, use this link for a sorted filtered list of wallet-emptying stocking stuffers.

After much hand-wringing, I've decided not to add other items to my order, tempting as they are. Too bad I just got the recent Hong Kong Tapestry reissue. Simply too soon to dip again. To justify this purchase, it's time for me to sell off my Wish You Were Here SACD now that I picked up Immersion. Mo' Discs, mo' problems.

Well, this has got me giddy -- that can be as dangerous to the wallet as reading the news can be dangerous to my sanity. Still, I simply can't resist this if it is indeed quad. Like others here, I'd end up just kicking myself down the road when it's out of my financial reach. I wouldn't be able to listen to, say, "Cecilia," "Only Living Boy in New York," or "El Condor Pasa" without wondering how the quad sounds.

More pragmatically, I implicitly trust the fine folks here at QQ, so I'm curious what shipping members recommend. Having re-read this thread and checked cdjapan, I'm pretty confident that this will be quad (fingers, toes and eyes crossed). Just need to figure out the shipping and keep an eye here just in case this turns out strictly stereo.

Also, if anyone here is also interested in some steeply discounted Blu-ray audio discs, use this link for a sorted filtered list of wallet-emptying stocking stuffers.

After much hand-wringing, I've decided not to add other items to my order, tempting as they are. Too bad I just got the recent Hong Kong Tapestry reissue. Simply too soon to dip again. To justify this purchase, it's time for me to sell off my Wish You Were Here SACD now that I picked up Immersion. Mo' Discs, mo' problems.

I've always chosen the cheapest shipping from cdjapan, and have always received my discs quickly with no problems ( I'm in Los Angeles)

I just jumped on the bandwagon.......This album in surround (quad) should be a gem.

My wallet is skinny :yikes....superskinny.

Anyway...:banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana:

I am very glad this is being released in SACD Quad. But I think many are overestimating the quality of the original quad mix. I have a transfer of the quad Robbins reel. I believe it was mentioned that it would be the same mix used on this new SACD release. To my ears the Robbins reel mix is OK, but it isn't stellar by any means. I'll need to take another listen to it to verify, but I do recall being very unhappy with the presentation of "The Boxer", especially during the whip cracks or chain cracks (or however they made that sound). The quad mix just sucks the life out of them, makes them subdued, and robs them of the dynamic impact that the stereo version imparts. I also remember being underwhelmed by the title track and a few others, to the point that I seldom played it, reverting instead to the stereo version. Maybe I'm incorrect here, but that is what I recall. I would certainly welcome any other opinions on the quad mix from those that have heard it.

Regardless of the mix itself, a modern re-mastering in HD could push the overall fidelity to a superlative level. The album always sounded pretty good to begin with. This might take it up a few notches.

I am very glad this is being released in SACD Quad. But I think many are overestimating the quality of the original quad mix. I have a transfer of the quad Robbins reel. I believe it was mentioned that it would be the same mix used on this new SACD release. To my ears the Robbins reel mix is OK, but it isn't stellar by any means. I'll need to take another listen to it to verify, but I do recall being very unhappy with the presentation of "The Boxer", especially during the whip cracks or chain cracks (or however they made that sound). The quad mix just sucks the life out of them, makes them subdued, and robs them of the dynamic impact that the stereo version imparts. I also remember being underwhelmed by the title track and a few others, to the point that I seldom played it, reverting instead to the stereo version. Maybe I'm incorrect here, but that is what I recall. I would certainly welcome any other opinions on the quad mix from those that have heard it.

Regardless of the mix itself, a modern re-mastering in HD could push the overall fidelity to a superlative level. The album always sounded pretty good to begin with. This might take it up a few notches.

Unfortunately I think you are right...I think the advanced hype will kill this release...I'm glad you mentioned this because I don't have the strength or courage to go that route anymore...I've learned from the past that once expectations start to rise on here it's like a virus...its spreads and other titles are mentioned as being "next" and it escalates until reality hits....then we have the meltdowns and finger pointing....what I hope to get out of this release is just something better than available CD's...that's it...modest expectations..I'm glad people are excited...but I hope they realize that it might not be "great"....I'm just excited that they did it...in this climate where physical media is held in such low regard...

These are worthy points and I appreciate them. My expectations are generally kept in a pretty moderate place (I'm one of those looks who mostly likes The Beatles' 1+ 5.1!) but it's helpful to read the thoughts of someone pretty familiar with the mix.

Plus, if I'm not happy with the mix I'll simply blame everyone here for enabling me and file a class ac... nah, don't even want to joke about that. Lame kidding aside. I'm looking forward to hearing this well-work and personally over-familiar material with fresh ears. Even if the quad mix disappoints, it's my experience it'll renew my appreciation for the stereo. Plus, this stereo mix will hopefully benefit from the hi res treatment.

I seem to recall the original masters are either missing or damaged but others will know better. So will I as I read up again in the two months ahead (places my own order a few minutes ago). I did dig up this article hiding in my bookmarks. Some cool bits about this album:

https://www.analogplanet.com/conten...ording-simon-and-garfunkel-and-otherspart-i-0

The quad mix just sucks the life out of them, makes them subdued, and robs them of the dynamic impact that the stereo version imparts.

Snare and acoustics (and maybe some added reverb, can't remember). I thought it sounded poor on the stereo mix, but the quad is laughable on that section. I've only heard the quad mix in full via a scripted decoding of my SQ vinyl. I gather the Q8 (is it that or the reel that people refer to) has way better seperation.

I have heard it. I will say that no, this quad mix will not be a revelation. But still....I love it. As is....and I can't wait. What I am mostly hopeful for is an increase in fidelity. And, the cool factor.
I'm pumped for it.

Personally, I don't recall being disappointed in the Quad. But maybe I was so enamored with the idea of S&G in Quad that I simply don't care... :)

I personally really enjoy this quad mix... it's not mind-blowing discreteness, but if you enjoy the new Sgt. Pepper mix, then you should enjoy this... I'm looking forward to this one!

Some of the "joy" of listening to the Mike Robin quad reel is that it is far better than any SQ decode, and certainly better than a cleaned up Q8. So it is in that respect that the quad reel is so revered by those who've heard it.

Don't expect a very pin-point, swirly Flaming Lips type mix. But it does open up the music and makes it a joy to listen to. I think I did a very in-depth review, track by track, in the poll section for the SQ/Q8. If you are on the fence you can use my musing to judge your interest, but remember I was pretty pumped to hear this mix in Q4 quality when I wrote it. Still, whatever I wrote I still stand by.

I never was disappointed listening to the Q4 mix and felt like going back to the stereo, but then again, I'm a surround wacko. That's why we're here! :confused:

To me, this is great news. Especially if it begets the 3 Paul Simon discs, and the 2 Art's as well. Fun is.

I have heard it. I will say that no, this quad mix will not be a revelation. But still....I love it. As is....and I can't wait. What I am mostly hopeful for is an increase in fidelity. And, the cool factor.
I'm pumped for it.

Personally, I don't recall being disappointed in the Quad. But maybe I was so enamored with the idea of S&G in Quad that I simply don't care... :)

Fidelity can be important. This is stuff from the days of analog consumer formats which get blurry/muddy/muffled if anything strays. Then you listen to that next to a pristine stereo copy and it doesn't hold up very well. Quad was pretty much doomed by the release formats of the day after all because almost no one save a studio engineer could handle them very well. That's if the tapes were well made and/or the vinyl stereo container encoding went well. If not, all bets were off for everyone!

There ARE a lot of experimental quirky early surround mixes in quad format from the '70s that might be a little weird to begin with as well. Add all this up and it can be a difficult listening experience to "decode" that in your head. Hearing these mixes (even the odd ones) properly presented without glaring analog generation loss can be an eye opener (ear opener).

Back