Simon & Garfunkel's "Bridge Over Troubled Water"- Multichannel SACD - Cancelled

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just went through the review thread and it seems I included 2 snippets of the album in mp3 form to listen to different sections, one from "Cecilia" and one from the beginning of "The Boxer". When you read through that thread, be sure to listen to those two 1 minute chunks! :phones

Some of the "joy" of listening to the Mike Robin quad reel is that it is far better than any SQ decode, and certainly better than a cleaned up Q8. So it is in that respect that the quad reel is so revered by those who've heard it.

Don't expect a very pin-point, swirly Flaming Lips type mix. But it does open up the music and makes it a joy to listen to. I think I did a very in-depth review, track by track, in the poll section for the SQ/Q8. If you are on the fence you can use my musing to judge your interest, but remember I was pretty pumped to hear this mix in Q4 quality when I wrote it. Still, whatever I wrote I still stand by.

I never was disappointed listening to the Q4 mix and felt like going back to the stereo, but then again, I'm a surround wacko. That's why we're here! :confused:

To me, this is great news. Especially if it begets the 3 Paul Simon discs, and the 2 Art's as well. Fun is.

Jon, I read your excellent track by track review of the Mike Robbin's reel and really look forward to hearing the SONY Japan QUAD SACD. I do think BOTW should have a more subtle surround mix without any ping pong effects as the music, IMO, speaks for itself. And in all fairness [and I'm a big fan of Open Reel], I should think the SONY remastered QUAD SACD will bring the sonics to another level.

BTW, have you ever heard the Bookends QUAD mix?

And wouldn't it be spectacular IF Dutton~Vocalion could obtain the licensing rights to the two Art Garfunkel QUADs....and offer it as a two~fer for £10.99 [yeah, that'll be the day]!

Is it the greatest Quad mix ever? No.
Will it bring you to orgasm on first listen? Certainly Not.
Was it mixed by Roy Halee? (an earlier question) Answer: Yes.

Is it a Good Quad mix? Absolutely!
Is it one of the Top 10 Best Vintage Quad Mixes? I could see that, yes.
Isn't it fucking amazing that this mix is finally seeing the light of day after 45 years? Sho 'Nuff, baby! :banana:

Is it worth the hype? I think so. The Quad mix is good enough that almost everyone will enjoy it and will listen to it repeatedly. I know I do already with my copy of the Q4. Are there a few "D'OH!" moments? Yeah, but no worse than the synth that comes in way too early on Frankenstein from the They Only Come Out at Night album. All the Quad mixes are flawed in some way. That is the blessing and the curse of them.

Last edited:
Is it the greatest Quad mix ever? No.
Will it bring you to orgasm on first listen? Certainly Not.
Was it mixed by Roy Halee? (an earlier question) Answer: Yes.

Is it a Good Quad mix? Absolutely!
Is it one of the Top 10 Best Vintage Quad Mixes? I could see that, yes.
Isn't it fucking amazing that this mix is finally seeing the light of day after 45 years? Sho 'Nuff, baby! :banana:

Is it worth the hype? I think so. The Quad mix is good enough that almost everyone will enjoy it and will listen to it repeatedly. I know I do already with my copy of the Q4. Are there a few "D'OH!" moments? Yeah, but no worse than the synth that comes in way too earlier on Frankenstein from the They Only Come Out at Night album. All the Quad mixes are flawed in some way. That is the blessing and the curse of them.

I love your post man! Seriously, I am fired up about this one. Warts and all - this is a landmark album and now we get it in SACD Quad? What in Thee Hell is not to like about that?

Not sure what to make of this:

0a0197ce93e7cc05d8c312ad4e795fc3.jpg

Someone at SH.tv posted the page went missing. Seems so...

Either it sold out (which I doubt), or the long arm of Mr. Simon has reached across the Pacific.

or, it could just be a server issue............

It looks like something is afoot, the title seems to have disappeared from both Tower Japan's website, and the Sony Japan webstore as well.

It shows up if you do a search on the Tower Japan webstore using the catalog number (SICP 10121) but when you click the link you get a page not found error:

http://tower.jp/item/4594947/

and on the Sony Japan webstore (you can see the cat # in the URL):

https://www.sonymusicshop.jp/m/item/itemShw.php?site=S&cd=SICP000010121

Either it's been pushed back or cancelled, I would think...

I'm over it! Got the reel on DVD - I'm fine if we move our attention to the forthcoming D/V SACDs that in fact will have quad layers.

So this tiny niche market who are willing to spend the money to purchase music on a physical format at full price is once again brushed aside by the narrow-minded old fucks who can't just shut up and let a few folks enjoy something that already exists and has been purchased multiple times.

What a crock

:nuke :nuke :nuke

Simon got very rich off sales of this album. I guess he thinks he owes no thanks to the long term listeners and fans would would buy this album yet again for a new special featured disc of top quality.

This is terrible...I guess it joins the ranks of many likely great surround discs killed before their time (Graceland, The Cars, Deja Vu, Meddle, Pretzel Logic, and probably dozens more I can't think of ATM). At least the mix is out there on a a high quality transfer. We'll see if it was truly cancelled if folks start getting refunds. Still a long way to November though...

If it truly was shelved, what does this mean the end of Sony Japan's quad Sacd program? I sincerely hope not.

The only thing that could make me feel better right now is DV announcing their next batch of quad discs

About two hours ago, cdjapan sent me this reply to my instruction to keep my order active ...

"Thank you.

We will be continuing with your order, accordingly."

I really wouldn't panic ... just yet, anyway.

I went into my account on CDJapan and the transaction is still there...BUT...when I clicked on the title...it's gone....I'm going to have to turn my attention to an 185 MPH Female(Irma)that's headed my way in Clearwater Florida..I went to my local Costco to get a few things at noon today and it was a spectacle...the lot was filled and the gas lines looked like it was 1973 all over again...all the water in Costco was gone and everybody's shopping cart had batteries and toilet paper in it... back to music related observations....I did notice that the Tapestry listing on CDJapan is still intact...

I'm not so sure that Paul Simon has control over the music for that album....if he doesn't... the record company/rights holder can do what they want...many artists are "over ruled" in their requests...and Paul Simon's days of being a "star" have gone...I remember how Van "the man" Morrison refused to give his blessing for Moondance...but that certainly did not stop the record company...I seriously doubt that Simon has anything to do with this...the people that do these projects NOW(unlike in the past)wouldn't go ahead with them and spend the money without getting approval...I seriously doubt it...

Well, I suppose we can look at it this way. If it was "Bookends" that was announced, then confirmed, as an SACD with the original quad mix, and then THAT got pulled, I know I would be a lot more pissed off, since I've never heard the Bookends quad (if anyone other than those at the label actually did, I'd be shocked)

Again, it could just be something as simple as them moving the price to the same level as the Becks, but again it could be anything. Could Paul Simon's lawyers be that fast and quick to read about this here or more probably at SHF, and react that quickly? Who knows.

It's just that it always seems to happen to the surround fans. We get all fired up only to get dumped on.

Well, I suppose we can look at it this way. If it was "Bookends" that was announced, then confirmed, as an SACD with the original quad mix, and then THAT got pulled, I know I would be a lot more pissed off, since I've never heard the Bookends quad (if anyone other than those at the label actually did, I'd be shocked)

Again, it could just be something as simple as them moving the price to the same level as the Becks, but again it could be anything. Could Paul Simon's lawyers be that fast and quick to read about this here or more probably at SHF, and react that quickly? Who knows.

It's just that it always seems to happen to the surround fans. We get all fired up only to get dumped on.

I recall that it was YOU who uttered his name in the first place.

Back