COLUMBIA Quad Label Page Update - please check

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
For those of you who like lists and records, I have updated the Columbia Quad page - adding notes regarding those original quad releases that resurfaced in the digital age as DTS CDs, SACDs, DVDs, and BluRay discs.

I think I got them all, but it's very likely I missed a few reissues, especially classicals. So, if you're sitting around and have nothing better to do, how about checking out the list and letting me know where I screwed up?

It's really amazing how many of these actually did find their way onto digital quad media. When you see it all in a list, it is kind of stunning, to borrow a word from Silverline! :eek:

Thanks

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/Columbia.htm

Mahavishnu Orchestra/Birds of Fire AF SACD
Herbie Hancock/Thrust AF SACD (How'd I miss these?) :yikes

Just a few I noticed off the top of my head:

Mahavishnu Orchestra - Birds of Fire (AF SACD)

Morton Subotnick - I know he released DVD-V's of all his albums, and I think the surround mixes on these DVD's may be the quad mixes. AoQ would probably know for sure.

Holst - The Planets (MQ 31125) - I think Sony released this as a multichannel SACD in the early 00's, with a possibly screwed up version of the quad mix?

Johnny Mathis - First Time Ever I Saw Your Face (HDS DTS CD)

Herbie Hancock - Thrust (AF SACD)

Just a few I noticed off the top of my head:

Mahavishnu Orchestra - Birds of Fire (AF SACD)

Morton Subotnick - I know he released DVD-V's of all his albums, and I think the surround mixes on these DVD's may be the quad mixes. AoQ would probably know for sure.

Holst - The Planets (MQ 31125) - I think Sony released this as a multichannel SACD in the early 00's, with a possibly screwed up version of the quad mix?

Johnny Mathis - First Time Ever I Saw Your Face (HDS DTS CD)

Herbie Hancock - Thrust (AF SACD)

Thanks! I sorta remembered about those Subotnik's, but could not remember where they came from. I never got copies of them when they were around.

Thanks! I sorta remembered about those Subotnik's, but could not remember where they came from. I never got copies of them when they were around.

There were 3 volumes of the Subotnick DVDs, on Mode Records (www.moderecords.com). Volume 1 includes the quad mix of Touch, 2 the quad mix of Sidewinder, 3 the quad mix of 4 Butterflies. The first 2 volumes are dvd-a, volume 3 is standard dvd, mode seems to have dropped dvd-a at some point. Volume 1 is out of print and not easy to find (a quick search on amazon only found the CD, and ebay found nothing), but 2 and 3 are still in print:

http://www.moderecords.com/catalog/132subotnick.html
http://www.moderecords.com/catalog/237subotnick.html

The case for 4 Butterflies claims new 4-channel and stereo mixes, and I never had the Q8 of it, but I'd be surprised if it really was a new mix, probably a new transfer. I may have to dig up a copy and confirm though. From what I recall, the first 2 are the quad mixes, I know I confirmed the Mike Robin reel of sidewinder matches the dvd, and I don't recall those cases referencing new mixes, but those 2 are buried in a box somewhere (I have rips of everything).

There were 3 volumes of the Subotnick DVDs, on Mode Records (www.moderecords.com). Volume 1 includes the quad mix of Touch, 2 the quad mix of Sidewinder, 3 the quad mix of 4 Butterflies. The first 2 volumes are dvd-a, volume 3 is standard dvd, mode seems to have dropped dvd-a at some point. Volume 1 is out of print and not easy to find (a quick search on amazon only found the CD, and ebay found nothing), but 2 and 3 are still in print:

http://www.moderecords.com/catalog/132subotnick.html
http://www.moderecords.com/catalog/237subotnick.html

The case for 4 Butterflies claims new 4-channel and stereo mixes, and I never had the Q8 of it, but I'd be surprised if it really was a new mix, probably a new transfer. I may have to dig up a copy and confirm though. From what I recall, the first 2 are the quad mixes, I know I confirmed the Mike Robin reel of sidewinder matches the dvd, and I don't recall those cases referencing new mixes, but those 2 are buried in a box somewhere (I have rips of everything).

Thanks Jonathan,

So .............

TOUCH - Mode Records DVD-A - 2004
SIDEWINDER - Mode Records DVD-A - 2004
4 BUTTERFLIES - Mode Records DVD - 2011

Does that sound about right?

Steely Dave is THE MAN!!

Yep, Holst was an SACD release of the quad

Holst.jpg

I have the SACD; I need to relisten but the impression of myself and others is that it's just ambiance in the surrounds, while on the quad mix there's the organ and other instruments.

Those bastages!

Those bastages!

Great updated list, Jon. MANY thanks.

Yeah, giving us double stereo when a true discrete QUAD mix existed was one of MANY reasons that early 00 SACD launch failed [IMO, miserably]. The players were uber expensive [and initially STEREO, only], the titles were Ho Hum [very few A~list titles]........a complete lack of imagination and foresight crippled the launch.

And in a similar vein, the Universal BD~A launch a few years later suffered from exactly the same fate: Stereo BD~As when a QUAD/5.1 master existed, almost no A~list acts and considering that Blu Ray disc players could be had for as little as $99, they could've made a killing by releasing desirable titles with copious bonus features [concert videos, etc.] but didn't.

Especially considering Universal's hugely extensive record company acquisitions over the years, BD~A could've been the 'second coming' in surround software but failed to create a ripple since, IMO, the exec in charge of that launch had NO CLUE WHAT HE WAS DOING? DUH!

Amazing, how history always has a habit of repeating itself!

Great updated list, Jon. MANY thanks.

Yeah, giving us double stereo when a true discrete QUAD mix existed was one of MANY reasons that early 00 SACD launch failed [IMO, miserably]. The players were uber expensive [and initially STEREO, only], the titles were Ho Hum [very few A~list titles]........a complete lack of imagination and foresight crippled the launch.

And in a similar vein, the Universal BD~A launch a few years later suffered from exactly the same fate: Stereo BD~As when a QUAD/5.1 master existed, almost no A~list acts and considering that Blu Ray disc players could be had for as little as $99, they could've made a killing by releasing desirable titles with copious bonus features [concert videos, etc.] but didn't.

Especially considering Universal's hugely extensive record company acquisitions over the years, BD~A could've been the 'second coming' in surround software but failed to create a ripple since, IMO, the exec in charge of that launch had NO CLUE WHAT HE WAS DOING? DUH!

Amazing, how history always has a habit of repeating itself!

Thanks!

That could have been disc based media's best shot at survival if those BluRay audios were priced right and had surround and hirez stereo on them. No excuses about not having a special player, etc, but I think it was too late since most listeners had moved on to their phones and bluetooth speakers as their audio system.

That bus left long ago. And we were all thrown under it! :yikes

Back