RIP Walter Becker

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't know if it's been mentioned elsewhere here on QQ, but Walter's 2 solo albums, "11 Tracks of Whack" & "Circus Money" are very much worth checking out.
34cdca0ba25507cba33fe9deeaebd882.jpeg
38d5d44f4fa842e847c475273fb07e87.jpeg

RIP

For sure. Excellent albums, especially 11 tracks. They were a substitute for new Dan music when there was no new Dan to be had.
(y)(y)

Although it's been posited that the Dan were the first true 'college group' (whatever that means), they did sound like guys who had gone to school and it left a very unpleasant aftertaste--as did society in general--and they sang, rocked about it for quite some time. The jazz inflections were also obvious, and Becker and Fagen were the kind of snobs that were inspiring enough to make me want to imitate their elitism. The latter was part of their, um, charm, as it were: they always gave the impression they knew more than the listener did but, rather than that being insulting, it became part of what made them so cool to listen to. And of course we have their quads to remember them by, now that Mr. Becker may be a permanent resident of Annandale, and who knows where else. After all, "Any world that I'm welcome to is better than the one I come from," words that I've always taken to heart, almost a matter of perverse pride...

RIP to another great one.

Once again losing the influences that I grew up with and once again reminding me to enjoy each day.

Heavy sigh. :smokin

Wow. I hadn't checked in at walterbecker.com for a while. But come to find out that Delia Cioffi, Walter's widow, has been busy. For starters, she's set up a companion site where she's giving away rarities and unreleased tracks--for free. And she's promising that there's more to come.

So yeah: the suit between Fagen and the Becker Estate is sad. (Sorry--I know that word has been temporarily sullied by a certain prominent Orange American.) But people are complicated, and so are people's histories and situations, so much as I would with a divorcing couple where I love both parties, I'm trying to be agnostic and not take sides. (If, like me, you haven't been keeping up: Pitchfork lays out the latest facts, while The Globe and Mail has insights and analysis from industry lawyers.)

But what Cioffi has done with WB.com and its spinoff gives me a better sense of who she is, what she stands for, and what she sounds like. I really like what I'm seeing--and hearing--so far. (Read this. And this.)

Wow. I hadn't checked in at walterbecker.com for a while. But come to find out that Delia Cioffi, Walter's widow, has been busy. For starters, she's set up a companion site where she's giving away rarities and unreleased tracks--for free. And she's promising that there's more to come.

So yeah: the suit between Fagen and the Becker Estate is sad. (Sorry--I know that word has been temporarily sullied by a certain prominent Orange American.) But people are complicated, and so are people's histories and situations, so much as I would with a divorcing couple where I love both parties, I'm trying to be agnostic and not take sides. (If, like me, you haven't been keeping up: Pitchfork lays out the latest facts, while The Globe and Mail has insights and analysis from industry lawyers.)

But what Cioffi has done with WB.com and its spinoff gives me a better sense of who she is, what she stands for, and what she sounds like. I really like what I'm seeing--and hearing--so far. (Read this. And this.)

Thanks for the post humprof. There is a lot to read there. As soon as I can i'm gonna give a listen to the unreleased stuff.

Back