RIP Walter Becker

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm having a hard time right now...but I'm still vertical:)

there was a rumor on the web about the actor dying a few weeks ago. and there was another celeb forget who they said has past and was not true.
With all that goes on today, I still don't see any news service announcing it, even independent news

BUT!! look at the source!! The same one we are going on, still could have been hacked!

I will be very careful here. The "news" that comes out of the mainstream media in any country is been shown to offer biased news.
and with all the hacking, I have my doubts. I will accept it if it is from only a credible news outlet, unfortunately the only out lets that now announce it are not trustworthy. And getting it from the site. I'll wait to believe this one

What a shock.
What a band.
Opened my eyes and ears to different musical styles and influences that I never knew about.
His legacy will continue onward.
Will be watching the Steely Dan Two against Nature tonight, with a moment of silence and a toast.

Not a good day.

Condolences to his family and friends.

And in the morning, in spite of everything, we should all go "Straight to IHOP, where it's well known / The world's junkest pancakes are"--for a Walter Becker Memorial Breakfast.

Edit: The Times finally has a full obit up online, written by Jon Pareles.

What a shock.
What a band.
Opened my eyes and ears to different musical styles and influences that I never knew about.
His legacy will continue onward.
Will be watching the Steely Dan Two against Nature tonight, with a moment of silence and a toast.

Not a good day.

Condolences to his family and friends.

I grew up on the ever evolving, beautifully cynical, and always brilliant sonic perfection that was Steely Dan.

Maybe it was timing, maybe it was the many formative experiences for which they were the soundtrack, maybe it was something else... but to this day, achievement in the studio is for me measured with them as the standard. Songwriting, arrangement, performance... and production, oh the production.
In a word... intimidating.

A true savant, so very blessed to have felt his touch.

Is there gas in the car?
Yes, there's gas in the car
I think the people down the hall know who you are
'Cause the man is wise
You are still an outlaw in their eyes

My wife mentioned the death of Mr. Becker during the drive to dinner close by a few hours ago. I hadn't heard but had chosen The Goodbye Look for the ride over. No Becker on that disc apparently, no Becker any more. I'm sad.

Saw Phish Sunday night in Colorado. Was hoping for a Dan cover. The best they could do was playback of Any Major Dude from the soundboard after the final encore. Better than nuthin! Also heard some Dan on car stereos in the parking lot. Gone but not forgotten.

I had the opportunity to work with Walter briefly in the early nineties when he was on hiatus from Steely Dan. He had retreated to Hawaii to deal with substance abuse issues. Walter kept his hand in his first love though, and was producing some wonderful jazz records for a small independent label, Triloka Jazz. I was doing sales & marketing for the label and met Walter at a listening party for a new Jackie McClean (great sax player of note) release at Clinton Studios in NYC. Fagen was there too - but he was mainly lurking in the background- not a social butterfly. Walter was pleasant and soft spoken -there clearly for the music and not to press the flesh. Glad I got to meet him and at least tell how much his music meant to me. I finally saw the Dan a few years ago during one of their Beacon Theater residencies - a memorable evening. I don't know if it's been mentioned elsewhere here on QQ, but Walter's 2 solo albums, "11 Tracks of Whack" & "Circus Money" are very much worth checking out.
34cdca0ba25507cba33fe9deeaebd882.jpeg
38d5d44f4fa842e847c475273fb07e87.jpeg

RIP

Been a Dan fan for many years, and finally saw them in Sydney with Steve Winwood a few years back. Both bands did full sets, and Winwood guested on Hammond organ on "Pretzel Logic" at the end... the whole thing bought grown men to tears. What a show, what a band. I'm sad that he's gone and I'm also sad that they didn't do more albums after "Everything Must Go".

Still, I'll be spinning my favourite "The Royal Scam" repeatedly, and in the true style of this forum, the DVD-A of "Two Against Nature". RIP Mr Becker, and thank you for what you gave us. (y)

Donald Fagen has released a statement about it, it's no joke or hack unfortunately.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/n...-tribute-to-steely-dans-walter-becker-w500968

Ya how sad. The really bad part is the ability to believe anything you see anymore in news. Only a handful of news outlets are reliable anymore. I understand he was sick, having had something done he missed some shows,
but I am appreciative that his personal life is kept personal. No body business.

I think I have WAY too many multi-channel discs......

So, I'm listening to Steely Dan - Gaucho on DVD-Audio. I surely thought I had a Donald Fagen disc, but I don't find it. On the other had, I recently purchased what I thought for sure was my only copy of Foreigner 4 on DVD-Audio. While searching for Donald Fagen, I found a 2nd copy of Foreigner 4!!!

:yikes

I think I have WAY too many multi-channel discs......

So, I'm listening to Steely Dan - Gaucho on DVD-Audio. I surely thought I had a Donald Fagen disc, but I don't find it. On the other had, I recently purchased what I thought for sure was my only copy of Foreigner 4 on DVD-Audio. While searching for Donald Fagen, I found a 2nd copy of Foreigner 4!!!

:yikes

I JUST FOUND IT! It's a SACD, I thought it was DVD-Audio. :rolleyes:

Wow. I'm speechless with this terrible news. I feel very lucky to have seen them perform several times since Two Against Nature. RIP Walter.

Back