Fake DSOTM reel already at $150...how clueless are people???

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I found moderate success putting the discrete version on Q8 in the order of the US Q8. Took some creative editing, but it does fit. Problem is my Akai developed issues while recording and I never rectified that problem so I never continued any further. I did have success with one tape though.

There is a "report item" button which you can use to report "unauthorized recordings" under copyright infringement

Oh, I've had many a sellers KICKED out of fleabay, one was because she insulted me thru internal email (how stupid can she be?), but mostly over counterfeit items...although the STUPID PEOPLE bidding on this should get what they deserve...FOR BEING STUPID!!!!

There is a "report item" button which you can use to report "unauthorized recordings" under copyright infringement

I've done this before. If folks here are certain this is illicit then I think they should report it. This is out of my wheelhouse, so I was uncomfortable reporting it since I can't really back up the claim. That said, I may report it in the next few hours if someone with better knowledge here doesn't. I prefer to err on the side of caution. I also believe no one deserves to get taken and that is incumbent on those in a place to help out (in this case the enthusiast community) to intervene. If nothing else, if the purchase goes through anyway and the purchaser discovers their error in judgment, this few anonymous clicks may be of help — and still part of their lesson in caveat emptor.

Some people go after musical items for pure collectability. They're not after hearing a recording. They just want to put the item on a display shelf in their collection. Nothing wrong with that or anything. But it sure sucks for those of us looking for the recorded content! We have to not only take a chance on the condition of a collectors item with an unobtainium price tag but now trust that it isn't a counterfeit. Because the counterfeit sure isn't going to have anything remotely close to the audio program we were after!
Want to hear a pristine copy of Floyd's Piper album in mono untainted by reduction to 16 bit? Good luck with that! A few $400 counterfeit copies later and that CD is starting to sound pretty good after all! Beatles mono pressings? Hahahahahaha...

I feel a little less bad seeing this knowing that the bluray disc is available for sale to anyone after the recorded music. (Which I see as more serious than just a collector. Sorry...)

Not sure I care enough to report the seller, but shared the listing as I figured members here would be interested to comment.

I'm just surprised listings like this are still popping up even though an official lossless transfer of the quad is out there on disc. The seller claims that this is not from an LP or Q8, so unless he's lying I assume it's from either the bootleg DVD-A or the officially released Blu-Ray from the Immersion set. You'd think the people bidding on this would know those other options are out there and that this title was never released on reel.

It's not up to me to dictate how people spend their money so good luck to the highest bidder.

Last edited:
So it sold for about $275!
I actually had messaged the seller directly asking if it was sourced from the blu-ray, since the description said "The source was not a Quad 8-track or quad LP." , and they said "No. The original source was the Alan Parsons quad mix master tape."

I still very much doubt it...

So it sold for about $275!
"No. The original source was the Alan Parsons quad mix master tape."

Which probably means it was created using the pirate DVD-A created from the dub of the master copy the guy found while working at EMI (that I have seen suggested possibly a safety copy of the actual master).

Unless they've changed their policy in recent years, eBay only act on these reports from the actual copyright holder - provided that copyright holder has pre-registered with them.

I've been seeing a ton of these fake 15ips reels of albums that never were on reel...seriously, if you can play a 15ips tape surely you can record your own dvd/sacd/cd/whatever?
and some of those fake quad 8-tracks....sheesh

That's appalling, I wonder how quickly they'd act if someone started using their copyrighted/trademarked logos, quite quickly I'd expect.

Unless they've changed their policy in recent years, eBay only act on these reports from the actual copyright holder - provided that copyright holder has pre-registered with them.

Which probably means it was created using the pirate DVD-A created from the dub of the master copy the guy found while working at EMI (that I have seen suggested possibly a safety copy of the actual master).
that is not correct at all. Alan gave several of us copies he made at emi. This guy is selling a copy of that most likely. Still illegal and shady.

that is not correct at all. Alan gave several of us copies he made at emi. This guy is selling a copy of that most likely. Still illegal and shady.

See, this is something that i might be interested in. Copies from a credible source from someone here on QQ.

Back