KING CRIMSON-EARTHBOUND

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What even was this? A regular album? I haven't heard of it before.
From the BS description, it sounds as though the album in not remixed to 5.1, but the extra performance is.
The DVD contains the 12 track expanded album in 24/96 hi-res stereo audio, the Summit Studios performance in a 2017 stereo mix and in quadraphonic...

From the BS description, it sounds as though the album in not remixed to 5.1, but the extra performance is.

The Earthbound album will be the same album it always was but with some additional tracks. All soundboard cassette tapes throughout.

The 4.0 surround mix is from the only multitrack recording they have from the same tour. The Summit Studios recording. It's been available in part in stereo for a good while now.

It looks like they decided to add the Summit Studios tape (with the only live surround mix in the set) from the new box set to the standalone edition of Earthbound. So anyone that's a casual fan of the era - or perhaps only Earthbound from this era - but also wants anything in surround seems to be the target audience. Almost like they are aware of this forum or something.

If you mean you haven't heard of Earthbound before... The version of Schizoid Man is considered one of the definitive ones and I bet you've heard it before.

I'll say it again. These releases are just the polar opposite of the greedy major label bs. Remember that JT Aqualung release that put the bluray with the surround mixes in the $150 edition? Or the ELP BSS set that did the same thing? (Pointedly removing the surround mix from the standalone DVDA even.)
Here you get a standalone edition for $20 that specifically includes the surround content from the big box for a bonus. And the big box with 20 some discs (many blurays) is $190.

Well, what it is, is Quad from 72 . So there's that.

And it's cheap , .......... and King Crimson , so what's not to love . :D

And well, for me this is from their Peak Era , so if you like Crimson ?

:smokin

Well, what it is, is Quad from 72 . So there's that.

To be clear, it's a 2017 4.0 mix of a multitracked performance from 1972. Not to be confused with a 4.0 mix produced in 1972.

I've got to be honest too. With that 1974 produced quad mix in mind (intended for a SQ radio broadcast at the time and released in the Red box I believe), as cool of an artifact as that is I'm more excited to get a new surround mix.

To be clear, it's a 2017 4.0 mix of a multitracked performance from 1972. Not to be confused with a 4.0 mix produced in 1972.

I've got to be honest too. With that 1974 produced quad mix in mind (intended for a SQ radio broadcast at the time and released in the Red box I believe), as cool of an artifact as that is I'm more excited to get a new surround mix.

I'm confused, the wording on Burning Shed and DGM Live is a little ambiguous. It says 'in a 2017 stereo mix and in quadraphonic' that suggests to me a new 2017 stereo mix and also quadraphonic from the archives, rather than saying 'new 2017 stereo and quad mixes'. If it is new then why on earth did they not mix it in 5.1 like 11 of the other 12 titles in the series, it makes absolutely no sense. Is there any confirmation anywhere that the Quad mix is actually a new mix?

It also says it's the twelfth release in the 40th Anniversary Series, it's number thirteen by my reckoning... ;)

I'm confused, the wording on Burning Shed and DGM Live is a little ambiguous. It says 'in a 2017 stereo mix and in quadraphonic' that suggests to me a new 2017 stereo mix and also quadraphonic from the archives, rather than saying 'new 2017 stereo and quad mixes'. If it is new then why on earth did they not mix it in 5.1 like 11 of the other 12 titles in the series, it makes absolutely no sense. Is there any confirmation anywhere that the Quad mix is actually a new mix?

It also says it's the twelfth release in the 40th Anniversary Series, it's number thirteen by my reckoning... ;)

The Quadraphonic mix is a new mix.

Yep.

That's 13 . :upthumb

We'll know more about that "quad mix " when someone supplies the relevant studio info via the discs notes .

Exactly. There should be no presumption of 5.1 for this specific material. This is not the first instance of live quad as the Starless box includes a show with this option.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Exactly. There should be no presumption of 5.1 for this specific material. This is not the first instance of live quad as the Starless box includes a show with this option.

Indeed, I guess I was more assuming that if it is indeed a new mix from the multi tracks then they would mix it in 5.1 like the rest of the series that they've taken such care with. Especially as the original 70's quad mix already exists. It's that and the wording that makes me think it's the original one. But I'm no KC expert, the disc notes should reveal all...

Yes indeed . And "Argentina " :D

FWIW I don't fear quad . And neither should anyone , long as she's surround . (y)

Back