KING CRIMSON-EARTHBOUND

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Indeed, I guess I was more assuming that if it is indeed a new mix from the multi tracks then they would mix it in 5.1 like the rest of the series.

The Earthbound album came from a soundboard stereo cassette and as such will never be more than it is. It should not be considered in the same breath as other KC albums. I never thought they'd do anything with it.

The Summit and extensive Live material (varying quality although still amazing) are provided to augment the original content.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Earthbound album came from a soundboard stereo cassette and as such will never be more than it is. It should not be considered in the same breath as other KC albums. I never thought they'd do anything with it.

The Summit and extensive Live material (varying quality although still amazing) are provided to augment the original content.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So they made a quad mix from a stereo cassette? That doesn't sound too promising...

So they made a quad mix from a stereo cassette? That doesn't sound too promising...

No!
"Earthbound" is just in stereo, like it always was.
The 1972 performance at Summit Studios in Denver was remixed in Quadraphonic sound and will be available on both the "Earthbound" CD/DVD edition and the new "Sailor's Tales" box set.
It's the only live recording from that lineup that is mixed in surround sound because it's the only one they had on multitrack tape.

Hope that clears it all up! :)

No!
"Earthbound" is just in stereo, like it always was.
The 1972 performance at Summit Studios in Denver was remixed in Quadraphonic sound and will be available on both the "Earthbound" CD/DVD edition and the new "Sailor's Tales" box set.
It's the only live recording from that lineup that is mixed in surround sound because it's the only one they had on multitrack tape.

Hope that clears it all up! :)

A surround sound album from a 1972 multitrack recording of a live performance? Makes me long for Silverline, in Stunning Surround Sound.

BTW, unlike most of the other titles in the series, "Earthbound" is NOT a DVDA-V disc. It is simply a DVD-V disc.

"Live at Summit Studios" is DTS 96/24 Quad, while the rest of the content is PCM Stereo.

Backside time:
61hEjH8DBKL.jpg

:)

BTW, unlike most of the other titles in the series, "Earthbound" is NOT a DVDA-V disc. It is simply a DVD-V disc.

"Live at Summit Studios" is DTS 96/24 Quad, while the rest of the content is PCM Stereo.

A question for you sir,

I want to vote on this release - should I post in the existing poll for the Earthbound Blu-ray, or is there a poll for the CD+DVD-V 40th anniversary release? I looked for one but could not find it.

A question for you sir,

I want to vote on this release - should I post in the existing poll for the Earthbound Blu-ray, or is there a poll for the CD+DVD-V 40th anniversary release? I looked for one but could not find it.

Just vote in the Blu-Ray poll thread but comment that your vote and observations are based on the DVD.
(The surround content and mix are the same for both formats, so I went with the higher-resolution choice for the poll thread.)

:)

Is the original quad mix fairly discrete as far as instrumentation or mostly crowd ambiance?

There is no original quad mix. The quadraphonic mix is new for 2017! How cool is that! There is very little crowd noise period, sounds like it was recorded on a soundstage with a very small audience. Most important is the mix is very discrete, especially for a live recorded mix. The sound quality is top notch. This is a must have for any multichannel fan.

Back