Sharp Announces Plans for 8K TV in 2018

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I hope the content producers act as sanity checks. The electronics industry has gone crazy/exploitative looking for useless new "improvements" to push.

Or the Chinese make available 1080p, non-PQ HDR (800 nits), WCG, plasma cheap TVs and players and take over the market.

Should be lots of content available LOL

As it is, MOST newly released UHD 4K releases are upconverted from 2K masters and before I contemplate making a 4K purchase, I always read the reviews @ blu~ray.com to see what the genesis of the master is. And the studios are just beginning to release 4K discs which are worth anything, IMO like Blade Runner, Close Encounters, etc. Finding the 'few' true 4K mastered UHD discs is quite the challenge, at present!

Ironically, even Criterion continues to release ALL of their new 1080p BD~A/DVD [gulp] releases from 4K upconverted masters but have NOT released a single UHD 4K release as of yet.

Perhaps 8K and then 16K can find their fan base with interior designers and Broadway set designers who can create virtual realities in the homes of the very wealthy who want interior changes with the click of a mouse or on a Broadway stage with truer than life set pieces on gigundus flat panels!

As for home video.........you'd probably have to have [at the VERY minimum] 100" or MUCH greater flatscreens to discern the difference between 4K and 8K and hold on to yer britches 16K!

And to think the music industry lags way behind their video counterparts struggling [my word] to release music in 5.1 surround or greater when in most listeners' minds, plain ole low res stereo is more than adequate.

As it is, MOST newly released UHD 4K releases are upconverted from 2K masters and before I contemplate making a 4K purchase, I always read the reviews @ blu~ray.com to see what the genesis of the master is. And the studios are just beginning to release 4K discs which are worth anything, IMO like Blade Runner, Close Encounters, etc. Finding the 'few' true 4K mastered UHD discs is quite the challenge, at present!

Ironically, even Criterion continues to release ALL of their new 1080p BD~A/DVD [gulp] releases from 4K upconverted masters but have NOT released a single UHD 4K release as of yet.

Perhaps 8K and then 16K can find their fan base with interior designers and Broadway set designers who can create virtual realities in the homes of the very wealthy who want interior changes with the click of a mouse or on a Broadway stage with truer than life set pieces on gigundus flat panels!

As for home video.........you'd probably have to have [at the VERY minimum] 100" or MUCH greater flatscreens to discern the difference between 4K and 8K and hold on to yer britches 16K!

And to think the music industry lags way behind their video counterparts struggling [my word] to release music in 5.1 surround or greater when in most listeners' minds, plain ole low res stereo is more than adequate.

The folks in the industry were talking about this years ago. over at the AVS forum, pros have discussions on the issue, and it was Hollywood holding back because everything is filmed in 8k. The old fart FCC old bald farts stuck us good with really bad TV bandwidth and the NTSC system. The EU adapted PAL that is much better resolution.
It's all about the buck. I have other choice comment, better left not said. How many still use the old CRT? I know some, and the only people able to afford it as with everything are the wealthy, but! the rub now! NO broadcast content, and I bet it will be a long ass time before any consumer media. Like a download or disc. And if so will cost a bundle. I hate TV anyway! :howl

The old fart FCC old bald farts stuck us good with really bad TV bandwidth and the NTSC system. The EU adapted PAL that is much better resolution.
NTSC had to be two-way compatible with B&W technology, the designers were quite restricted and IMHO did a very good job.

PAL is based on NTSC, with a small detail that improves color stability. Not much merit in that.

PAL resolution is higher, yes, but the frame rate is lower so there's flickering. Both had to adapt to the local mains frequency.

I used to have a C-Band satellite dish and I would capture once in a while direct remote feeds (sports, the Oscars, etc.), no video tape, no network processing. The quality was amazing!

With DVDs still being produced and purchased in huge quantities, BD~V still playing catchy up by releasing older and newer movies in 1080p and UHD 4K struggling to make a dent in the marketplace and NOW 8K [and BTW, Hollywood is NOT producing masters in 8K.....maybe visionaries like James Cameron, ONLY], ONLY the VERY rich will contemplate 8K and will need mega computers to generate the image for their elite 8K sets as VERY doubtful Hollywood will embrace 8K video releases any time too soon.

And as the majority continue to watch movies on their iPhones and computers and listen to music through their earbuds, etc..........all this technology, IMO, could be put to better use....ELSEWHERE!

Sharp is known for this kind of marketing.
A few years back it was Aquos or something like that.
4 color pixels that would revolutionize the industry!
Sorry but it's still RGB, Sharp.
How many suckers bought that crap?
Not enough.
Same here.

I use a 480 32" CRT and it is actually a relief after seeing flat screen LCD all day. Even with the lower res it looks more like real to me. Better color.

I use a 480 32" CRT and it is actually a relief after seeing flat screen LCD all day. Even with the lower res it looks more like real to me. Better color.

I had a Runco CRT projector for years and in conjunction with my Meridian 800 DVD/DVD~A reference player, the picture was remarkable....for its time. The blacks were inky, the colors were vibrant and all was well until the tubes started to dim.

I've had a lot of projectors and flatscreens since [Sharp Aquos/LCD flatscreens/Sony LED projectors, etc] and have replaced the Runco with a JVC~based, 'Meridian tweaked' DILA Projector which I can say is marvelous except the blacks aren't as inky as the CRT.

But nothing compares [Sorry] to my current LG OLED 3D flatscreen in terms of colors, black levels and on some 3D content, even I'm stunned that objects literally float to within a foot of my nose [from a viewing distance of 9 feet away] and retain their brilliant image in uncanny three dimensional vibrancy.

In fact, the 3D image looks better than some UHD 4K movies I've viewed on the same screen.

As far as even imagining 8K at this juncture would be surreal but I'm sure the TV hardware manufacturers are forging ahead irregardless of current market trends.....but I just hope that they revitalize 3D and have 100" and above 8K OLED flatscreens to transmit the images because, IMO, all you holdouts who still love your CRTs will surely eat crow.....and I mean NO disrespect by saying that.

Some things just DO get better with age...meaning newer technologies.

... but I just hope that they revitalize 3D
I recently learned that I can show 3D photographs in my Panny plasma.

I have a lot of other priorities, but I would love to get a 3D still camera!

Back