HDMI Audio Extractor for cheap blu ray players?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdmack

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
QQ Supporter
I just became aware that there is such a thing as an HDMI Audio Extractor:

http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/33-11632

I can imagine someone with a cheap blu ray player and no HDMI input on their amplifier wanting something like this. It will convert the 5.1 audio signal from the HDMI output to a 5.1 encoded digital optical signal, which will feed into even older surround sound amplifiers.

Or is there some aspect of this device that I'm overlooking which would make it not suitable for this purpose?

J. D.

I use this one ... https://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=101&cp_id=10110&cs_id=1011002&p_id=5557

I bought it because it also converts hi-rez 96kHz and 192kHz audio to send it to my Bryston DAC (if your Blu-ray player will pass them, not all of them will). It is switchable between 2-ch and 5.1-ch, and comes with a remote control. Monoprice stuff is very well-built, yet reasonably priced.

I just became aware that there is such a thing as an HDMI Audio Extractor:

http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/33-11632

I can imagine someone with a cheap blu ray player and no HDMI input on their amplifier wanting something like this. It will convert the 5.1 audio signal from the HDMI output to a 5.1 encoded digital optical signal, which will feed into even older surround sound amplifiers.

Or is there some aspect of this device that I'm overlooking which would make it not suitable for this purpose?

J. D.

AFAIK a 96/24/6channel PCM is out of specs for the toslink interface.
But there are hdmi audio extractor that can extract to 7.1 analog. I'm using this one and works +- ok, it is recognized and configured by the hdmi audio windows properties and works ok (i have some things to check on downmixing the center channel in a quad setup).

YOU GUYS ARE SUCH NERDS!!!!!!

:couch

(from a guy throwing stones from a small glass house..... but , no really...I really enjoy these posts- it's an education!)

Is there a particular purpose to such a device for the purpose you envision? Why not just use the S/PDIF output of your blu-ray player...options vary, but for DTS-HD and PCM it should output a signal at the full resolution S/PDIF is capable of (1.5 megbit). For TrueHD it might only output 640 kilobit, but even so it seems easier than try to do this and adding more devices to your chain.

AFAIK a 96/24/6channel PCM is out of specs for the toslink interface.

That is what the extractor does. My OPPO player will not pass a 96kHz signal except via HDMI. The extractor is connected to a coaxial input on the DAC. The photo isn't very clear, but the DAC is responding to a 96kHz input ... Sex Pistols - Never Mind the Bollocks, Blu-ray Audio disk ... stereo-only, but there is no reason that a multichannel signal should be any different.

Attachments

• P1020695.jpg
    P1020695.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 187
  • P1020696.jpg
    P1020696.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 190
YOU GUYS ARE SUCH NERDS!!!!!!

:couch

(from a guy throwing stones from a small glass house..... but , no really...I really enjoy these posts- it's an education!)

It only gets nerdy when someone posts photographs. Sorry I can't provide a scope tracing, and sorry that it is stereo gear. :mad:@:

Don't know why the link for the photo didn't work out...

2_290804-500x281.jpeg

That is what the extractor does. My OPPO player will not pass a 96kHz signal except via HDMI. The extractor is connected to a coaxial input on the DAC. The photo isn't very clear, but the DAC is responding to a 96kHz input ... Sex Pistols - Never Mind the Bollocks, Blu-ray Audio disk ... stereo-only, but there is no reason that a multichannel signal should be any different.

Any Oppo will pass 96khz analog also. In fact will pass 192khz via analog also. At least mine does.

Any Oppo will pass 96khz analog also. In fact will pass 192khz via analog also. At least mine does.

That isn't technically true. There is no such thing as "96khz analog" ... it is digital. It will play and decode those digital sampling rates INTERNALLY, but the analog output is just that ... analog. Once it is decoded, there is no more digital sampling frequency.

I use the Bryston DAC to decode the OPPO digital signal because the analog section of the OPPO is pretty mediocre. It is certainly not the equal of a premium stand-alone DAC.

Is there a particular purpose to such a device for the purpose you envision? Why not just use the S/PDIF output of your blu-ray player...options vary, but for DTS-HD and PCM it should output a signal at the full resolution S/PDIF is capable of (1.5 megbit). For TrueHD it might only output 640 kilobit, but even so it seems easier than try to do this and adding more devices to your chain.

My own blu ray player has 5.1 analog outputs which feed the 5.1 analog inputs of my amplifier. This wouldn't be for me. But I can imagine someone new to the surround music hobby who is low on funds and who has a cheap blu ray player which only has HDMI and analog stereo outputs (like the one that plays the ad on my window display at work) wanting something like this.

My own blu ray player has 5.1 analog outputs which feed the 5.1 analog inputs of my amplifier. This wouldn't be for me. But I can imagine someone new to the surround music hobby who is low on funds and who has a cheap blu ray player which only has HDMI and analog stereo outputs (like the one that plays the ad on my window display at work) wanting something like this.

Fair I suppose. But that's a very niche audience, paying for a splitter and all the cables, but not paying $20 more for the BDP-S6500, which at $100 is going to play BDs and SACDs. No point having anything less for a surround system, and I doubt many do.

More to the point, even Sony's lowest end blu-ray player, the BDP-S3200 has digital audio out via coax, which can be converted to optical with minimal fuss if needed.

Back