R.E.M.: Automatic for the People (ATMOS | 25th Anniversary)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My biggest pipedream is probably that eventually the last two albums (Accelerate and Collapse Into Now) get better, more dynamic remastering and the 5.1 treatment. I suspect Accelerate (my preferred) probably wouldn't get much from 5.1 but it REALLY needs a stereo remaster that at least tears down the brickwall. Collapse, on the other hand, with its lush and more varied audio palette certainly would.

I know, I would like this as well... in the near future at least... but I'm not sure if I'll still be caring if it doesn't happen until year 25 though. With ACCELERATE, I was annoyed enough by over-compression that I bought it on vinyl in hopes the mastering would be better. It was, but not by much.

I would think yes , if you want the non E.S. Atmos mix. It says 5.1 hi-rez as well on that blu-ray mix by Clif Norrell .

I guess, what I mean is...I don't have Atmos, so with my standard 5.1 system, will I be able to play this thing in surround? Or Atmos mix, means it simply won't play on my system...in surround that is. Know what I mean? I'm pretty thick-headed about this Atmos talk...

I guess, what I mean is...I don't have Atmos, so with my standard 5.1 system, will I be able to play this thing in surround? Or Atmos mix, means it simply won't play on my system...in surround that is. Know what I mean? I'm pretty thick-headed about this Atmos talk...

ATMOS uses metadata for its bells and whistles but at its base it's 7.1 so it'll play fine. Others here know better than I do, but I believe that on a 5.1 system those back two channels are combined with the side channels using, uh, er, um, fairy dust. If/when you update your gear you just get added layers of surround bliss.

ATMOS uses metadata for its bells and whistles but at its base it's 7.1 so it'll play fine. Others here know better than I do, but I believe that on a 5.1 system those back two channels are combined with the side channels using, uh, er, um, fairy dust.

Well, to come clean, actually I do have 7.1, only I don't currently have the extra 2 speakers hooked up...sitting in my closet...

ATMOS uses metadata for its bells and whistles but at its base it's 7.1 so it'll play fine. Others here know better than I do, but I believe that on a 5.1 system those back two channels are combined with the side channels using, uh, er, um, fairy dust. If/when you update your gear you just get added layers of surround bliss.

Thats my understanding. Same with DTS:X too.

The few Atmos discs I've seen are all 48kHz. No 96kHz (I'm guessing it's a limitation on HDMI bandwidth but I may be wrong)

Thats my understanding. Same with DTS:X too.

The few Atmos discs I've seen are all 48kHz. No 96kHz (I'm guessing it's a limitation on HDMI bandwidth but I may be wrong)

http://ce-pro.eu/2016/12/3d-audio-d...548-201561-CE Pro Europe Top 10 March-Preview
"We are the only immersive sound format that can reproduce a 3D space in Hi Res audio (like 96kHz) in all channels, while the competition can only do the height channels in 48kHz."

That's by the founder/creator of Auro himself so take it with a grain of salt (or not) since he is after all DTS-X' and Atmos' competition. So maybe it's not limited to HDMI bandwidth but something else? Haven't seen any other/further explanation though so I can't help you with that.

Backside time:
61WNhvqN7jL.jpg

I'm unreasonably excited about this news (just check my avatar! ;)). I had to come here to make sure I wasn't hallucinating that the release included a genuinely new surround mix, so thank you everyone for the info!

My biggest pipedream is probably that eventually the last two albums (Accelerate and Collapse Into Now) get better, more dynamic remastering and the 5.1 treatment. I suspect Accelerate (my preferred) probably wouldn't get much from 5.1 but it REALLY needs a stereo remaster that at least tears down the brickwall. Collapse, on the other hand, with its lush and more varied audio palette certainly would.

I agree completely about Accelerate and Collapse Into Now. I've heretofore avoided buying R.E.M.'s other 25th anniversary releases, in large part because if there was ever an era of music that did NOT need remastering, it was the late 1980s and early 1990s. But, my goodness, the way Accelerate was brickwalled to death... I hope we don't have to wait until the 25th anniversary in 2033 for a remastering with more dynamics!

The early 2000s 5.1 mix of Automatic is the only one of their whole surround catalogue which I don't like listening to. Can't quite say why. So today I gave in and ordered this. Not convinced it's worth it yet. Would have traded the large book for another CD of b-sides and a lower price, if they had asked me.

Back