R.E.M.: Automatic for the People (ATMOS | 25th Anniversary)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is possible but the purpose of Object Based Audio is to have sounds float in space, not so much one sound or instrument playing discretely out of one speaker. Think Pokey-Vision 3D. It’s a lot more fun, amazing and real with sound. :)

I really like the concept of "competing" sounds or instruments as the mixers described in the article.

When you have 5.1 or even 7.1 you are still limited to a 2-D "plane" (X,Y) whereas when you go to atmos you have another plane in the X,Y,Z space and this opens up the competition so much more discretely. X,Y space is actually just 2/3 of a X,Y,Z space so that extra dimension gives you a whole 1/3 more potential and an extra 1/3 of anything is a heck of a lot.

It's really no different from going from a visual 2-D movie to a 3-D movie or going from 2-D printing on paper to 3-D printing in plastic.

That extra dimension opens up so much more potential.

Great release. I read the liner notes and listened to the BD in Atmos with my 5.1 rig. The machine read the signal as Dolby HD, 48Khz. Videos are great. Look forward to listening to the CD’s in the car. I don’t feel it necessary to compare to my other DVD A. This sounds really good and makes me want my INXS to come even faster. Glad I have it and will listen again.

I’m confused. :mad:@:

How did you manage to listen in Atmos with a 5.1 system when you need a minimum of 5.1.2 channels?

I have no knowledge on this, but a simple thought is that the DSP puts out whatever it can, if you have a 7.1.2 setup then all good, if not then embedd the two extra channels in the existing five for your 5.1 setup?

I’m confused. :mad:@:

How did you manage to listen in Atmos with a 5.1 system when you need a minimum of 5.1.2 channels?
I assume you where asking about my quote, sorry to have got you thinking unnecessary. In the menu of this release, you have two choices, the stereo and the Atmos, my reference was that I listened via the Atmos surround choice on the menu. When I actually listened it was via my machines capabilities at 5.1 only, because I don't have Atmos capabilities.

I assume you where asking about my quote, sorry to have got you thinking unnecessary. In the menu of this release, you have two choices, the stereo and the Atmos, my reference was that I listened via the Atmos surround choice on the menu. When I actually listened it was via my machines capabilities at 5.1 only, because I don't have Atmos capabilities.

Thanks for that explanation. I was wondering how one could get it without the required channels of Atmos unless, somehow, there’s a way to fool the system because unless my AVR detects those extra speakers, I ain’t gonna hear it correctly. :)

I'm undecided on this because I don't have an Atmos set-up either (yet). Does it sound like a good surround mix on 5.1 equipment, or does it sound like something's missing?

I'm undecided on this because I don't have an Atmos set-up either (yet). Does it sound like a good surround mix on 5.1 equipment, or does it sound like something's missing?
If you are a super surround geek and you already have the DVD-A, then best to hold off, but if you are a R.E.M fan and looking for the best of Automatic For The People than you will want this. It sounds fantastic in 5.1 and I also have the previous surround disc. But what do I know, I'm listening to stereo RBCD Greatest Hits Starship, cranked up, with Bud and Jack waiting for a chicken pot pie.

If you are a super surround geek and you already have the DVD-A, then best to hold off, but if you are a R.E.M fan and looking for the best of Automatic For The People than you will want this. It sounds fantastic in 5.1 and I also have the previous surround disc. But what do I know, I'm listening to stereo RBCD Greatest Hits Starship, cranked up, with Bud and Jack waiting for a chicken pot pie.

Thanks for the reply. I don't have the DVD-A of Automatic, but I DO have the Blu-ray of Out of Time and like that one a lot. I've been getting reacquainted with my CD copy of Automatic for the People and forgot how good it is, but I would rank some other REM titles ahead of this one. I'm not the world's biggest fan but I did see them twice back in the 90's and they were great shows. I'll probably go for this but I wanted to make sure it sounded good on a 5.1 setup. The next six weeks are going to cost me a bundle!

It sounds like something is missing to me. I hadn't listened to the DVD-A for over a year and when this was announced, I thought about playing the DVD-A, but decided to wait and judge this without a fresh memory of the ES mix. So I got this ATMOS release and right from the first track, "Drive" seemed off balance with too much up front and this was reinforced with each succeeding track. Once I finished the ATMOS, I put the DVD-A in and it was night and day. I laughed out loud within the first minute of "Drive" because it was such a joy to be discretely surrounded by the music. ES is a master at using every speaker in the room to put you right in the middle of the band. That's what I like. I don't want to be down in the crowd with the band up front and an occasional echo from the rear (to be fair, there's a little more than an echo on the ATMOS, but not much.) I want to be right in the middle of the band. I don't want a natural sound; I want a magical, entrancing sound. That's what the ES DVD-A of "Automatic for the People" gives me.

I think I've given you enough info to make your own choice.

It sounds like something is missing to me. I hadn't listened to the DVD-A for over a year and when this was announced, I thought about playing the DVD-A, but decided to wait and judge this without a fresh memory of the ES mix. So I got this ATMOS release and right from the first track, "Drive" seemed off balance with too much up front and this was reinforced with each succeeding track. Once I finished the ATMOS, I put the DVD-A in and it was night and day. I laughed out loud within the first minute of "Drive" because it was such a joy to be discretely surrounded by the music. ES is a master at using every speaker in the room to put you right in the middle of the band. That's what I like. I don't want to be down in the crowd with the band up front and an occasional echo from the rear (to be fair, there's a little more than an echo on the ATMOS, but not much.) I want to be right in the middle of the band. I don't want a natural sound; I want a magical, entrancing sound. That's what the ES DVD-A of "Automatic for the People" gives me.

I (was) planning to purchase the Deluxe Set to get the Atmos BD. Your review has me thinking I might pass. I have a 5.1.4 Dolby Atmos system configuration. What's your setup?

Ordered from ImportCDs for $61.73 with tax and shipping to California. Thanks for sharing the discount code!

Now all I need is an Atmos system... :mad:@:

Let me know when your order actually ships and when it arrives. I ordered mine last Sunday, received a shipping notification on Tuesday morning at 1:19 am and the item didn’t actually ship until yesterday. Then, to top that off, the delivery date is slated for Friday, the 24th. If I knew it would take that long, I would have spent the few extra dollars and ordered off Amazon. This was me trying to be cheap again. I guess, I need to learn patience here. And here I thought I’d be listening to this one over the weekend. :rolleyes:

Maybe I'll start looking for a copy of the DVD-A. I know what you mean regarding Elliot Scheiner. His mix of Steely Dan's Gaucho is one of my favorite reference discs.

I should really examine the product listings more carefully. This set is gigantic relative to the content. I will likely be selling it at a discount soon. Stay tuned to the for sale listings.

Maybe I'll start looking for a copy of the DVD-A. I know what you mean regarding Elliot Scheiner. His mix of Steely Dan's Gaucho is one of my favorite reference discs.

Good luck. I tried locating a copy but couldn’t find one in ‘like new’ condition or that didn’t cost so much. I refuse to settle for just ‘good’ condition.

They had plenty of room on the BD. Why not include the Scheiner mix too?

To be honest, I never thought the DVD-A sounded that great.
Not about the mixes just the overall fidelity.
Maybe I need to listen again but AFAIR, it has a bit of a digital sound.
Yes, I have this set as I do want the "best" version of this album possible.
Unfortunately, my house has been in RENO mode and both sound systems are unavailable for the near future.

Mine arrive today.

Shrink-wrapped sealed in a Large Amazon Box. No bent corners BUT

when I opened it every single cardboard sleeve and every disc was dislodged, sliding around.

Not happy about that but listening to now in 7.1.4

will report later

Back