R.E.M.: Automatic for the People (ATMOS | 25th Anniversary)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Snood got mine today - but it going back for replacement because bent up corner :howl

Snood no likey new products being bent up :howl

Oh Amazon - easy replacement too - should have in a few days and if that is bent up - me send back for replacement til get a good one :mad:@:

Snood got mine today - but it going back for replacement because bent up corner :howl

Snood no likey new products being bent up :howl

Oh Amazon - easy replacement too - should have in a few days and if that is bent up - me send back for replacement til get a good one :mad:@:

Good to see that YOU aren't "bent" out of shape:couch

Received mine from The Moose. Well packaged, well protected. Box is perfect. Boy does it smell new.... ;)

The individual discs are in the cardboard sleeves, which I sometimes hate...but these slide out oh so easy. Watch it, they may slide out when you don't want....I'd rather have it this way so they don't get all scratched up. :)

Audio sounds excellent. I don't have any other version of this, so nothing to compare to. I don't have Atmos......so there's that too. Nice book. I expect the extra CD's will be fun to listen to...we'll see. It's a big box, slightly bigger than an album I suppose. An inch thick...

Good stuff.

Received mine from The Moose. Well packaged, well protected. Box is perfect. Boy does it smell new.... ;)

The individual discs are in the cardboard sleeves, which I sometimes hate...but these slide out oh so easy. Watch it, they may slide out when you don't want....I'd rather have it this way so they don't get all scratched up. :)

Audio sounds excellent. I don't have any other version of this, so nothing to compare to. I don't have Atmos......so there's that too. Nice book. I expect the extra CD's will be fun to listen to...we'll see. It's a big box, slightly bigger than an album I suppose. An inch thick...

Good stuff.

Whew...after seeing your post I called The Moose and told them it was safe for the employees to leave the building now:)

Good stuff.
Boy does it smell new.... ;)
You would like my Uncle Jerry, he smells everything. Honest, he does. Strange habits!

A few screenshots of the 8-channel mix:

Drive:
Drive Atmos Mix.jpg

Everybody Hurts:
Everybody Hurts Atmos Mix.jpg

Man on the Moon:
Man On The Moon Atmos Mix.jpg

:)

A few screenshots of the 8-channel mix:

Thanks for the screengrabs. One question though...is the order L R C LFE LR RR LB RB or L R C LFE LB RB LR RR? Do the extra two surrounds come before the normal left and right rear in the waveform?

It does look kinda of center heavy while everything else is subdued, but I'm not gonna judge until I've heard it. I get the feeling Atmos is giving more for that "fill the room" effect versus discrete placement. I imagine some would think guitars in the ceiling only would be kind of weird.

I'm more than content with the old mix for now though...only prob I ever had with it is that the backing vocals are dialed down a bit (most of the old R.E.M. DVD-As are like that).

Looking forward to more Atmos music releases

Thanks for the screengrabs. One question though...is the order L R C LFE LR RR LB RB or L R C LFE LB RB LR RR? Do the extra two surrounds come before the normal left and right rear in the waveform?

It does look kinda of center heavy while everything else is subdued, but I'm not gonna judge until I've heard it. I get the feeling Atmos is giving more for that "fill the room" effect versus discrete placement. I imagine some would think guitars in the ceiling only would be kind of weird.

I'm more than content with the old mix for now though...only prob I ever had with it is that the backing vocals are dialed down a bit (most of the old R.E.M. DVD-As are like that).

Looking forward to more Atmos music releases

I have no idea, lol

What I can say is that I have a 5.1 surround system (no Atmos yet) and this is a discrete surround sound mix.
Is is better than the DVDA-V 5.1 surround mix? I don't think so, but it's definitely not any worse. It's just different.
I think this mix takes more liberties, but it's still a very rewarding listen.

the article about when they mixed it in atmos said that some of the time the atmos was used just so two instruments wouldn't have to 'compete" in the same space (channel).

I'm sure there are instances in those graphs where if you compared the atmos mix to the old 5.1 you could find where the frequencies in the 5.1 channels were separated in the the channels of the atmos mix, if even just for a second or split second

My box arrived from Amazon US today -- and I DO mean box! Well-packaged, so no complaints there.

I have the two previous surround versions (the standalone DVD-A and the cd/DVD set), so I'll do an A / B / C and report back here soon.

Just opened my R.E.M delivery. Perfect packaging by Amazon, nothing bent. The cardboard sleeves for the 4 discs are nice and loose like Gos said, but I will still use my mini Japanese protectors. Very irritating that the 4 cardboard sleeves are too big for the cut outs in the box. Either an error in packaging production, a stupid error, or I own the unique rare miss matched release.
Getting the machine warmed up for my 5.1 listen soon. I have the previous DVD A, so no expectations.

Just opened my R.E.M delivery. Perfect packaging by Amazon, nothing bent. The cardboard sleeves for the 4 discs are nice and loose like Gos said, but I will still use my mini Japanese protectors. Very irritating that the 4 cardboard sleeves are too big for the cut outs in the box. Either an error in packaging production, a stupid error, or I own the unique rare miss matched release.
Getting the machine warmed up for my 5.1 listen soon. I have the previous DVD A, so no expectations.

Regarding the cardboard sleeves. I know what you mean, but it seems they planned it that way and you simply slide the sleeves underneath the cut out area. Odd, but seems that is the plan.

Regarding the cardboard sleeves. I know what you mean, but it seems they planned it that way and you simply slide the sleeves underneath the cut out area. Odd, but seems that is the plan.
Yes, ODD. Never have I seen that. When I opened the box they where scattered all over and the discs where half way out of each sleeve. Maybe next year I will be selling my mountain of hard discs once i get the ripping thing dialed.

I'm almost positive that it's:

Left Front
Right Front
Center
Low-Frequency Effects
Left Side Surround
Right Side Surround
Left Rear Surround
Right Rear Surround

Back