R.E.M.: Automatic for the People (ATMOS | 25th Anniversary)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This should have been included on the Blu-ray, but nonetheless, it's still a fantastic look at the making of one of R.E.M.'s best album! :)
[video=youtube;OaiLpMsz2FE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OaiLpMsz2FE[/video]
Very insightful. Thanks for posting :):upthumb

Unbelievable surround mix!!!

I was a little underwhelmed with the INXS Atmos mix but this this disc has fully restored my faith in what an Atmos surround mix can bring to the table.

I listened to a few tracks off the original DVD-A in 5.1, then in 5.1 but up mixed to Atmos and then the same tracks with the new 25th anniversary disc mixed in Atmos.

Now the DVD-A was and still is a very good surround disc but compared to the Atmos disc, there is simply no comparison. I'm probably not going to explain this properly, but in many parts of the music you lose track of the surround mix because it comes across so enveloping. It's no longer just your left surround, but your left surround, left rear surround and left height speaker all joining together. Your living in a bubble of surround, that is all at once discrete but yet not, strangely all at the same time.

Unbelievable surround mix!!!

I was a little underwhelmed with the INXS Atmos mix but this this disc has fully restored my faith in what an Atmos surround mix can bring to the table.

I listened to a few tracks off the original DVD-A in 5.1, then in 5.1 but up mixed to Atmos and then the same tracks with the new 25th anniversary disc mixed in Atmos.

Now the DVD-A was and still is a very good surround disc but compared to the Atmos disc, there is simply no comparison. I'm probably not going to explain this properly, but in many parts of the music you lose track of the surround mix because it comes across so enveloping. It's no longer just your left surround, but your left surround, left rear surround and left height speaker all joining together. Your living in a bubble of surround, that is all at once discrete but yet not, strangely all at the same time.

Thanks for the comparison to the INXS disc. You're the first I have seen that directly compares the two. From reading all the reviews that seemed to be the consensus... mostly. I have all the REM dvd-audio's but looking forward to hearing this when I finally upgrade to Atmos.

I am a huge fan of the original Scheiner mix. I find Scheiner’s mix to be a more faithful representation of the original stereo mix, while the new Atmos mix sounds like a remix. My best analogy is the Oasis - (What’s The Story) Morning Glory? SACD. That multichannel mix sounds quite dissimilar from the original stereo mix.

Overall both mixes are excellent!

The bonus track - Photograph (With Natalie Merchant) is excellent, mixed in awesome Atmos like the rest. Don't know if I have listened to it before, great song. Was it a b-side?

From what I understand it was an unused track during the recording sessions. Excellent song that I feel could have been released as a single.

Anyone else noticed this track is cut off as it ends and fades out?

I just bagged one of the boxes for $60+ on Amazon to begin my adventure into Atmos, and ripping Atmos.

Here's my "collection" of this title, sitting here at QQHQ:

4 Versions 1.jpg

I initially decided against getting this, as I have the DVD-A with the amazing Elliot Scheiner mix. However, I feel like maybe I should pick this one up, as REM is my second favorite band of all time and this is their best album.

I just bagged one of the boxes for $60+ on Amazon to begin my adventure into Atmos, and ripping Atmos.

Here's my "collection" of this title, sitting here at QQHQ:

View attachment 36283

yeay! that's a mighty fine AFTP multichannel collection! super jealous! you have one surround version more than i do! :love: (you don't need me to tell you how rare that test market DualDisc is!! i've been trying to nab one for years without joy!)

ps. nice touch with the Quadraphonomonkic beer! Cheers! :coffee:

I initially decided against getting this, as I have the DVD-A with the amazing Elliot Scheiner mix. However, I feel like maybe I should pick this one up, as REM is my second favorite band of all time and this is their best album.

fwiw i'm not setup for Atmos (and likely won't be for the foreseeable) and as much of an Elliot Scheiner fanboy as I am, I still enjoyed the new box set mix in "lowly 5.1"! its pretty cool I reckon! :p

I've only got a 5.1.2 Atmos set up, and the heights are just hanging from the walls like a pair of Pat Butcher's earrings for the moment! But I have to say it sounds really good! Just an extra je ne sais quoi from that height info that really opens it up. Hoping to get a better solution soon, wow if it gets better! :cool:

Back