R.E.M.: Automatic for the People (ATMOS | 25th Anniversary)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just in case some of you didn't get the promo message...TAKE10 gets you 10% off...AND right now the R.E.M. release is $60.19...if you are in one of the states that don't get charged tax..after shipping we are talking about $57.16...HERE

I ended up having to pay $61.73 including shipping and had to pay tax cause I’m in California.

I hope the Atmos on this album lives up to its reputation. I do enjoy what I hear with the INXS album and the Kraftwerk compilation that I’ve only heard about 3 times. I’ll listen to the CD’s that are included in this set but it will probably be rarely after that.

Thanks for the heads up on that importcd’s discount, CE! (y)

It’s hard keeping up with these record company artist buyouts. Did Concord used to own the Warner catalog but now Craft Recordings owns it? Who is Craft Recordings and who owns the A&M / IRS back catalog for R.E.M.?

I ended up having to pay $61.73 including shipping and had to pay tax cause I’m in California.

I hope the Atmos on this album lives up to its reputation. I do enjoy what I hear with the INXS album and the Kraftwerk compilation that I’ve only heard about 3 times. I’ll listen to the CD’s that are included in this set but it will probably be rarely after that.

Thanks for the heads up on that importcd’s discount, CE! (y)

I'm curious about this release...the content isn't really that appealing to me..and that should be enough to discourage me...but the Atmos element does make me curious...because I can see myself buying the necessary equipment in the future..IF... this technology survives the novelty stage(which is the current state)...but the bigger problem is that I have a hard time purchasing a mix that replaced an Elliot Scheiner...he is the master and I didn't realize he did the previous DVD-A of this title...it reminds me of decisions I used to make in my personal life...back in the day....during my "lounge lizard" days...I would be in a bar and I would see a woman that I had been with(in the biblical sense)and she is all alone and she is giving me the "I'm available" smile...BUT there is also another woman looking my way that I don't know...and she is looking good...so I would go with the unknown quantity and usually it was a huge mistake...so I'm not sure of what to do....so I'm undecided...

It’s hard keeping up with these record company artist buyouts. Did Concord used to own the Warner catalog but now Craft Recordings owns it? Who is Craft Recordings and who owns the A&M / IRS back catalog for R.E.M.?

Essentially, all the R.E.M. albums are under Universal Music now.
The difference is that the IRS albums are owned by Universal and their relevant sublabels, whereas the Warner Bros albums are owned by R.E.M. themselves, and those albums (including "Automatic") are licensed out to Craft Recordings, which is owned by Concord.

:)

I'm curious about this release...the content isn't really that appealing to me..and that should be enough to discourage me...but the Atmos element does make me curious...because I can see myself buying the necessary equipment in the future..IF... this technology survives the novelty stage(which is the current state)...but the bigger problem is that I have a hard time purchasing a mix that replaced an Elliot Scheiner...he is the master and I didn't realize he did the previous DVD-A of this title...it reminds me of decisions I used to make in my personal life...back in the day....during my "lounge lizard" days...I would be in a bar and I would see a woman that I had been with(in the biblical sense)and she is all alone and she is giving me the "I'm available" smile...BUT there is also another woman looking my way that I don't know...and she is looking good...so I would go with the unknown quantity and usually it was a huge mistake...so I'm not sure of what to do....so I'm undecided...

Clint, my personal opinion: sit tight until the reviews of the Atmos remix surface and then pull the trigger. Essentially, if all you REALLY want is the Atmos remix and not all the bells/whistles and truth be told, Elliot Scheiner's stunning 5.1 remix IS a tough act to follow.........WAIT!

Clint, my personal opinion: sit tight until the reviews of the Atmos remix surface and then pull the trigger. Essentially, if all you REALLY want is the Atmos remix and not all the bells/whistles and truth be told, Elliot Scheiner's stunning 5.1 remix IS a tough act to follow.........WAIT!

The other advantage of waiting is that the current sellers of the DVD-A version will lower their asking price...to be candid I'm luke warm about the content....I'm really not sure I want it no matter what it sounds like....with the upcoming Rush box set and Buddy Holly release....I've got plenty to look forward to without this one...

The other advantage of waiting is that the current sellers of the DVD-A version will lower their asking price...to be candid I'm luke warm about the content....I'm really not sure I want it no matter what it sounds like....with the upcoming Rush box set and Buddy Holly release....I've got plenty to look forward to without this one...

To be perfectly honest, I rarely listen to the RBCDs which accompany these boxsets [ESPECIALLY the DEMOs]. Wish they'd release the BD~As separately. SUCH A CASH GRAB.

But, to each his own.

I only listen to the CDs because it happens to be the best solution for my car system.
I think including at least 1 CD is a good way to capture a little bit of cross-over sales, though I imagine CD interest to be steadily dwindling these days.

Nice comparison but I would have drank more and looked for the ugly woman. (y)

Yes, I totally understand where you are on this one. It took me until today to pull the trigger and finally make a purchase at the lowest price, thanks to you. I discovered R.E.M. when their ep (Chronic Town) was released, purchased Murmur, all the IRS releases and the two Warner releases up to Out Of Time. I never cared for them after that but still heard a few of their singles on the radio and didn’t much pay attention because I was into all these ‘other’ bands from the 80’ and 90’s. It wasn’t until they re-released their catalog around 2005 when I snagged a copy of In Time (1988-2003) which included a DVD-Audio disc of their hits and started to familiarize myself with some of their later songs. I always couldn’t stand “Everybody Hurts”. I used to skip that track all the time until, one day, my Mother told me that she loved that song. Well, she’s passed on now and I make it a habit to listen to that song the entire way through every time I spin that disc and make myself like it, in memory of her. Needless to say, I wanted the rest of their catalog that was released on DVD-A but I waited too long and only managed to pick up Document. In the past couple of years, I ended up with getting all their downloadable albums and say they are hit and miss. An example, a fan favorite, Monster is the album I listened to only a couple of times because I don’t much care for it. Although, the other albums have some really good tracks, I would rebuy them all just to get them in surround and that goes ten-fold if they were all done in Atmos. It really does make that much a difference over plain old yesterday’s news, 4.0 and 5.1 releases. :)

I only listen to the CDs because it happens to be the best solution for my car system.
I think including at least 1 CD is a good way to capture a little bit of cross-over sales, though I imagine CD interest to be steadily dwindling these days.

Actually I like some CD's...but they aren't the newer remastered(compressed)pieces of crap...despite all the moaning and groaning and hissy fits about discs not being 24/96 on here...the reality is that there are a lot of CD's that have excellent sound quality that surpass the "hi rez" releases...DR numbers that these "hi rez" discs can't come close to...in my case I can't tolerate bright sounding compressed music...everybody has their preference...that is mine...and the truth is that there is a massive amount of great content that was recorded on CD's that will never see a hi rez treatment...so instead of depriving myself of great music...I turn to CD's for this music...I'm looking forward to hearing Steven Wilson's mix on the Chicago cd I recently ordered....

Enjoy your CD's...there is room for all formats in your music collection:)

I started purchasing CD’s again. I stopped purchasing downloads because it got to the point that I’d have to wait until someone Posted the DR numbers before I would get it and even when I did, the CD version I had sounded better. Then, I started looking at the pricing and told myself that it was time to stop. Even if I wanted to purchase a download now, I can’t. I no longer have a PC and only rely on my iOS devices. Although, lately, I’ve been trying to tell myself why I don’t need a turntable. ?

More interesting (IMO) as to WHY Sgt. Pepper wasn't released in Atmos if it was mixed in Atmos?

from the article it appears Dolby used it as a marketing device to convince industry execs into adopting atmos technology so why not release it to the public and make even more money??? I guess Sir Paul, et al didn't want the original album "bastardized" that much but that didn't stop them from letting Dolby use it "in house" to the top players in the music world?

Also, is that why there is a "mysterious" six channel (Dolby TrueHD EX 6.1) mix on the release? Was the sixth channel derived from the atmos mix (or is the EX part of the TrueHD like a "virtual" speaker?)

AFAIK, the Atmos mix of "Sgt Pepper" was not ready in time for it to be included on the recent box set release, and I also think I remember hearing that the 5.1 mix is not a fold-down of the Atmos mix.

Back