R.E.M.: Automatic for the People (ATMOS | 25th Anniversary)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IronWaffle

QQ Supporter
This makes my day, week and month. Maybe for some of you, too. The fun starts for us at disc 4. I'm curious what those with more knowledge think of the ATMOS news. Does this mean a whole new mix rather than the twice-released Scheiner 5.1 mix?

Amazon.de link.

3CDs / 1 Blu-ray

Disk 1 von 4
1 Drive
2 Try Not To Breathe
3 The Sidewinder Sleeps Tonite
4 Everybody Hurts
5 New Orleans Instrumental No. 1
6 Sweetness Follows
7 Monty Got A Raw Deal
8 Ignoreland
9 Star Me Kitten
10 Man On The Moon
11 Nightswimming
12 Find The River

Disk 2 von 4
1 Drive (Live At The 40 Watt Club / 11/19/92)
2 Monty Got A Raw Deal (Live At The 40 Watt Club / 11/19/92)
3 Everybody Hurts (Live At The 40 Watt Club / 11/19/92)
4 Man On The Moon (Live At The 40 Watt Club / 11/19/92)
5 Losing My Religion (Live At The 40 Watt Club / 11/19/92)
6 Country Feedback (Live At The 40 Watt Club / 11/19/92)
7 Begin The Begin (Live At The 40 Watt Club / 11/19/92)
8 Fall On Me (Live At The 40 Watt Club / 11/19/92)
9 Me In Honey (Live At The 40 Watt Club / 11/19/92)
10 Finest Worksong (Live At The 40 Watt Club / 11/19/92)
11 Love Is All Around (Live At The 40 Watt Club / 11/19/92)
12 Funtime (Live At The 40 Watt Club / 11/19/92)
13 Radio Free Europe (Live At The 40 Watt Club / 11/19/92)

Disk 3 von 4
1 Drive (Demo)
2 Wake Her Up (Demo)
3 Mike's Pop Song (Demo)
4 C To D Slide 13 (Demo)
5 Cello Scud (Demo)
6 10K Minimal (Demo)
7 Peter's New Song (Demo)
8 Eastern 983111 (Demo)
9 Bill's Acoustic (Demo)
10 Arabic Feedback (Demo)
11 Howler Monkey (Demo)
12 Pakiderm (Demo)
13 Afterthought (Demo)
14 Bazouki Song (Demo)
15 Photograph (Demo)
16 Michael's Organ (Demo)
17 Pete's Acoustic Idea (Demo)
18 6-8 Passion & Voc (Demo)
19 Hey Love (Mike Voc / Demo)
20 Devil Rides Backwards (Demo)

Disk 4 von 4
1 Drive (Dolby Atmos Mix)
2 Try Not To Breathe (Dolby Atmos Mix)
3 The Sidewinder Sleeps Tonite (Dolby Atmos Mix)
4 Everybody Hurts (Dolby Atmos Mix)
5 New Orleans Instrumental No. 1 (Dolby Atmos Mix)
6 Sweetness Follows (Dolby Atmos Mix)
7 Monty Got A Raw Deal (Dolby Atmos Mix)
8 Ignoreland (Dolby Atmos Mix)
9 Star Me Kitten (Dolby Atmos Mix)
10 Man On The Moon (Dolby Atmos Mix)
11 Nightswimming (Dolby Atmos Mix)
12 Find The River (Dolby Atmos Mix)
13 Photograph (Dolby Atmos Mix)
14 Drive
15 Try Not To Breathe
16 The Sidewinder Sleeps Tonite
17 Everybody Hurts
18 New Orleans Instrumental No. 1
19 Sweetness Follows
20 Monty Got A Raw Deal
21 Ignoreland
22 Star Me Kitten
23 Man On The Moon
24 Nightswimming
25 Find The River
26 Photograph
27 Drive
28 The Sidewinder Sleeps Tonite
29 Everybody Hurts
30 Man On The Moon
31 Nightswimming (British Version)
32 Find The River
33 Nightswimming (R Version)
34 Automatic For The People Press Kit

Credit where credit's due:
Thanks to arob71 at SH.tv for sharing this.

Additional SH.tv source post.

0888072029842.jpg

Last edited:
I could be wrong, but I bet this Blu-Ray will contain the original 5.1 mix and not a new Atmos mix.
Probably some kind of translation error.
We'll know for sure once R.E.M. gives us the official press release and track listing, but so far, this is definitely looking like a purchase for me! :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wonder if this new Atmos mix will be the first of many? Hopefully DTS might come in with DTS:X remixes too...

I wonder if this new Atmos mix will be the first of many? Hopefully DTS might come in with DTS:X remixes too...

Now wouldn't that be great? Would certainly inspire a receiver upgrade on my part. I have a spare pair of matching bookshelf soeakers laying dormant in anticipation of object based surround music.

Now wouldn't that be great? Would certainly inspire a receiver upgrade on my part. I have a spare pair of matching bookshelf soeakers laying dormant in anticipation of object based surround music.

I already have my extra speakers mounted and ready to go. I currently use them with DPLIIx Height. The effect is pretty cool. I'm sure Atmos, DTS-X and/or Auro 3D will be much more awesome though.

ATMOS confirmed:

Automatic For The People 25th Anniversary Edition Due Out November 10th
The band is excited to announce the reissue of their landmark album Automatic For The People to commemorate the record's 25th Anniversary.

Due November 10 via Craft Recordings, the remastered album will be available in a variety of formats, the most extensive of which is the Deluxe Anniversary Edition, featuring the album in its entirety mixed in Dolby Atmos.

In addition, the 4-disc Deluxe Edition will offer a wealth of previously unreleased material. The band selected 20 never-before-heard demos from the LP’s sessions, including the fully-realized, unreleased track “Mike’s Pop Song” and the oft-mused about song, “Devil Rides Backwards.”

“Mike’s Pop Song” debuts today and is available as an instant grat track with preorder of the reissue. Share the track HERE and preorder HERE.

Also included in both the 2-disc 25th Anniversary and Deluxe Edition of the album—which was remastered from the original analog tapes by Stephen Marcussen—is a full live set, Live At The 40 Watt Club 11/19/92. Performed in Athens, GA, it was the band’s only live show that year.

Housed in a 12” x 12” lift-top box, the Deluxe Anniversary Edition features a 60-page book, offering never-before-seen photos by Anton Corbjin and Melodie McDaniel, plus expanded, new liner notes by Scottish music journalist Tom Doyle who conducted new interviews with all four band members. Also included is a companion Blu-ray, offering the Dolby Atmos mix, plus a high-resolution master of Automatic For The People, seven music videos and the original 1992 EPK video. Automatic For The People will also be reissued on 180-gram vinyl (with digital download card), and will be available across all digital and streaming outlets.

For the full tracklisting, press release, and other details, including brand-new Automatic For The People shirts and merchandise, please visit remhq.com.

Some footage of the remixing:

https://youtu.be/VCWVRo_l26o

Official press release:

http://www.remhq.com/news/read-the-...-people-due-november-10-via-craft-recordings/

SRP: $85

Another tidbit:
The album (plus bonus track ‘Photograph’, featuring Natalie Merchant) was remixed in Dolby Atmos by Automatic’s original producer, Scott Litt, and engineer, Clif Norrell. This technology delivers a leap forward from surround sound with expansive, flowing audio that immerses the listener far beyond what stereo can offer. It transports the listener inside the recording studio with multi-dimensional audio – evoking a time when listening to music was an active, transformative experience, and reigniting the emotion you felt when you first heard the album in 1992. R.E.M.’s Automatic For The People is the first album to be commercially released in this expressive, breathtaking format.

https://www.udiscovermusic.com/news...ail&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=REM09142017

:)

Hmmmm maybe hard copy music is not dead in the near future, I'm in for sure on this one.

I'd be interested too, as I don't love his mix of Automatic.

I liked the previous mix but thought the mastering was off.
Very digital sounding.
Not going to upgrade to Atmos but I'm in on this for certain

I'd be interested too, as I don't love his mix of Automatic.

I think it's all right. I don't actually like the album all that much. Kind of dull and cheerless, like the album cover. Just my opinion, of course.
R.E.M. runs a little on the gloomy, somber side anyway. Just not among my very favorite R.E.M. records.
This will have to be an AWESOME mix to interest me.

I'd like to think so, but considering this album is considered their peak, I'm not holding my... well, I'll try not to breathe.

My biggest pipedream is probably that eventually the last two albums (Accelerate and Collapse Into Now) get better, more dynamic remastering and the 5.1 treatment. I suspect Accelerate (my preferred) probably wouldn't get much from 5.1 but it REALLY needs a stereo remaster that at least tears down the brickwall. Collapse, on the other hand, with its lush and more varied audio palette certainly would.

No matter what happens, this particular release has me very excited. Not only my favorite R.E.M. album, but one of five rotating contenders for my favorite album, full stop. Sgt. Pepper isn't in that realm, but at one point it was -- so having new surround mixes of two favorite albums both in the same year? Do. Not. Pinch. Me.

As with any "super deluxe" edition, there are omissions I'm not happy about but what's included seems very logical and I couldn't be giddier about the Atmos/7.1 aspect since I already have the original DVD-A. I have enough speakers to do Atmos, though none are upward firing or in-ceiling. As someone else stated elsewhere, this could inspire that to happen sooner than otherwise planned. In the meantime... 7.1. Nice. And if it doesn't live up to the previous 5.1, I'll have that, too.

Back