Quad LP/Tape Poll Kenton, Stan, and His Orchestra: Live at Brigham Young University [SQ]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate "Live at Brigham Young University"

• 10: Tops

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 5: Mediocre

• 1: Utter crap

• Total voters

EMB

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Since 2002/2003
Creative World ST-1039 from 1971.

Side 1:

Malaga
Theme from Love Story
Kaleidoscope

Side 2:

A Step Beyond
What Are You Doing the Rest of Your Life?
Bogota

Side 3:

April Fool
Hank's Opener
Rhapsody in Blue

Side 4:

Macumba
Part I: Twilight in the Favelas
Part II: Procession to the Torriero
Part III: Ornulu
Part IV: Cumprimento

ED :)

Am I the only person here who has all three of these Kenton quad albums - BYU, Butler and 4 Freshmen? I'd love to comment on them, but I feel the need to wait (probably for a few months) until I have my Bang & Olufsen 4-channel equipment up and running.

Knowing the cost of Beomaster and Beogram 6000 4-channel units from the 70s, I had no choice but to get myself a matching pair of "as is" "for repair" units. The Beogram 6000 I'm not too worried about since I already have a 4004 working plus a pair of 4002s waiting for my attention. The TTs are within my DIY abilities, but the Beomaster 6000 4-ch. has me a little worried. The first few times I plugged it in and turned it on, all the audio things seemed to work, just the lighting on the left half didn't. Since then, the lights, audio, everything have faded out. I haven't had time to attend to it over the holidays.

Actually, I have at least two copies of the BYU (or are they the Butler) albums because:
a - I bought a lot of a dozen Kenton LPs on Evilbay and one of them was included when I already own a copy, and
b - I accidentally bought a third copy because it has a totally different cover. I think.

Since I have a Beomaster 4004 working nicely with a Beogram 3404, I may decide to risk one of the multiple copies. Okay, they're SQ format and playing them on my 3404 shouldn't be a problem, but I've waited this long, I can wait some more. And I don't want to get cocky about it and accidentally play one of my CD-4 Chuck Mangione quads with the wrong stuff.

I'll keep you posted. I'll be reading everything I can here.

JackM

This is the album I found used for a dollar (!) at a Salvation Army thrift shop in the late '70s; my knowledge of Kenton was confined to what Capitol records I'd heard. Can't remember if I ever played it back in quad; listed here because one night felt the need to put these in. But Kenton was a sound maven, so I'm interested in any thoughts you can offer.

ED :)

Congratulations, Ed, on finding some good music for a buck. I am always jealous that I never find anything worth having at any Thrift store. I have three stores within a few miles of me and the only electronics they ever have is some junkie old walkmans (walkmen?) and a dot matrix printer. I think half of the stuff sold on Ebay was found for three bucks "at the local thrift store but I don't know how to test it", etc. I should be so lucky.

That aside, I'm happy with how I have my Beogram 3404 set up, and the needle sounds reeeallly nice, no evidence of damaged grooves, etc., so I think I'm going to pull one of my Kenton duplicates and see how I like it. Don't have quad at this point, so I'll go with good old fashioned stereo and see if it sounds good. It should be noted that I have a great love of loud music - not as in headbangin' but as in 5 trumpets, 5 trombones and 5 saxes...plus a couple mellophoniums just for smoooothness.

I'm going to finish my profile today, in case there are any comments re: my speakers, etc.

JackM

Oh yeah, forgot to mention. When I was ten yrs. old, an uncle took my brother and me to see Kenton, Four Freshmen and Errol Garner at the Michigan state fairgrounds in Detroit. A life-changing experience.

JackM

Back