Quad LP/Tape Poll Labelle: Phoenix [SQ/Q8]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate "Phoenix"

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 5: Mediocre

• 1: Utter crap

• Total voters

EMB

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Since 2002/2003
Epic PEQ 33579 from 1975.

Side 1:

Phoenix (The Amazing Flight of a Lone Star)
Slow Burn
Black Holes in the Sky
Good Intentions
Far As We Felt Like Goin'

Side 2:

Messin' with My Mind
Chances Go Round
Cosmic Dancer
Take the Night Off
Action Time

ED :)

worth it for the opening track alone which is (pardon the pun) totally and utterly... EPIC..!!!

it lacks the Hit of Lady Marmalade on their other Quad release (Nightbirds) but is for me a better album with an equally great Quad mix, maybe even better, the positioning of the vocalists in a pyramid fashion (lead in Centre Front and different parts in each Rear) works so well with this material and enhances the arrangements.

10, to my soul.

Nightbirds is slinky and feel-good; Phoenix is (aptly) fiery and righteous. @fredblue is right: the title track is quite a ride. But much of the rest of the album is just as powerful.

Another fine Don Puluse (Chicago V, BS&T, Wild Cherry, Bernstein's MASS) mix; even the SQ version, which I heard in a good software decode, has plenty of separation. And those vocals!

Doling out lots of B's and B-plusses--i.e., 8's--on these older formats, only because the sonics so often leave something to be desired. (In this case: crisp and clear, but also a little harsh.) But I'm totally ready to hear this on SACD.

Just finished helping out with a Q8 conversion of this one; and I have to say it's one of the cleanest and most dynamic sounding I've heard in awhile.

Not only excellently mixed to Quad by Don Puluse, but also fine Production and Arranging by Allen Toussaint. Also, let's not forget that "the band" LaBelle, is not just Patti, but Sarah Dash and, Nona Hendryx who has the majority of writing credits for this album.

This album has an incredible line up of musicians, see the discogs page here for credits.

It may not have any blockbuster hits on the album, but with the abundance of production on this, the Quad really opens it up in all it's glorious detail.

Gotta go with a 10 on this one also.

LABELLE PHOENIX Q8.jpg

Just finished helping out with a Q8 conversion of this one; and I have to say it's one of the cleanest and most dynamic sounding I've heard in awhile.

Not only excellently mixed to Quad by Don Puluse, but also fine Production and Arranging by Allen Toussaint. Also, let's not forget that "the band" LaBelle, is not just Patti, but Sarah Dash and, Nona Hendryx who has the majority of writing credits for this album.

This album has an incredible line up of musicians, see the discogs page here for credits.

It may not have any blockbuster hits on the album, but with the abundance of production on this, the Quad really opens it up in all it's glorious detail.

Gotta go with a 10 on this one also.

View attachment 77343
Duuude... Don Puluse was one of my teachers in Berklee!!!! too bad I was not so Quad oriented back then cause I 'd have barraged him with Quad questions!!!

Top-notch in my book, grateful to hear this quad streaming in hi-res after all these years.
Present, not voting,

There was an incredible string of Allen Toussaint - produced albums with the Funky Meters rhythm section starting with Dr John ~ In The Right Place & Desitively Bonnaroo followed by Labelle ~ Nightbirds, culminating with this masterpiece.

https://www.discogs.com/master/49021-Dr-John-In-The-Right-Place
https://www.discogs.com/master/48993-Dr-John-Desitively-Bonnaroo
https://www.discogs.com/master/154212-LaBelle-Nightbirds

Back