When Black Friday comes.....

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

privateuniverse

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
So it's getting to be that time of year when we start to hear about what mega-boxes are coming for the holidays. And of course, when we're lucky, a few of them come with 5.1 mixes. We already know about some, like Eye in the Sky. Of course I would love to have The Seeds of Love before year's end, but it doesn't seem like that's happening. :( My money would be on Fleetwood Mac's 1975 self-titled LP. The last few boxes from the Mac have come pretty fast and furious so hopefully Warner Brothers keeps up the pace. Plus, we know that a 5.1 mix was completed ages ago.

Anyone else have some predictions/wishes as to what we might get before the end of the year?

So it's getting to be that time of year when we start to hear about what mega-boxes are coming for the holidays. And of course, when we're lucky, a few of them come with 5.1 mixes. We already know about some, like Eye in the Sky. Of course I would love to have The Seeds of Love before year's end, but it doesn't seem like that's happening. :( My money would be on Fleetwood Mac's 1975 self-titled LP. The last few boxes from the Mac have come pretty fast and furious so hopefully Warner Brothers keeps up the pace. Plus, we know that a 5.1 mix was completed ages ago.

Anyone else have some predictions/wishes as to what we might get before the end of the year?

"The Seeds of Love" and "Roxy Music" both appear to be delayed yet again, which causes much frustration for me as I have been waiting years to hear those albums in surround sound. Haven't we all?
It's also too bad that the Yes reissue series came to an end last year. All five releases are some of the best ever, and I was hoping they would put out one more with "Going for the One", but alas, it's not meant to be, is it?

The Fleetwood Mac '75 album reissue should happen at some point. WB would be crazy not to reissue that album in a similar box like the other four big albums.

Wildest dreams:
An "Animals" 40th anniversary box set complete with a Blu-Ray that had a new 5.1 surround mix and (if it actually exists) the unreleased Quadraphonic mix from the 1970s.
Another Quadio box set from Warner/Rhino, this time focusing on the four Quadraphonic releases from the Doobie Brothers. (This is something that will hopefully come to fruition next year.)
A deluxe reissue of "Eat a Peach" by the Allman Brothers Band for its 45th anniversary complete with a Blu-Ray that had the original 1970s Quadraphonic mix and the 2004 5.1 surround mix (or a new 5.1 surround mix instead)

My prayers are directed towards any new remix for Yes. Very unlikely at this time of the year, but still hoping for it

TFF SOL MCH Mix x SW ......oh, man..let's not even get close to that!!!

How long has it been..four years already????

more or less as with Roxy one...

:=P

And now let me dream... what about a huge boxset for A Momentary Lapse of Reason? Something may be moving forward on Floyd's camp related to it. Maybe we end up with just the reissue on vinyl of Delicate Sound of Thunder in November (I even don't know if this is fake news), but we'll see.

And now let me dream... what about a huge boxset for A Momentary Lapse of Reason? Something may be moving forward on Floyd's camp related to it. Maybe we end up with just the reissue on vinyl of Delicate Sound of Thunder in November (I even don't know if this is fake news), but we'll see.

A reissue of "A Momentary Lapse of Reason" is lower-hanging fruit compared to "Animals" just cause Roger Waters does not need to be consulted for any kind of approvals for a reissue of the former.
I'm fine with a 5.1 mix of "A Momentary Lapse of Reason" this year.

:)

A reissue of "A Momentary Lapse of Reason" is lower-hanging fruit compared to "Animals" just cause Roger Waters does not need to be consulted for any kind of approvals for a reissue of the former.

I would love MLOR!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is there any remote chance that 'Meddle' may get a full 5.1 / Quad release? I'd love to hear the quad of 'Echoes' so may have to get the individual box. Isn't there a whole new 5.1 mix of Meddle hidden on the big box somewhere? Does anyone know if this error made it to the separate boxes?

Is there any remote chance that 'Meddle' may get a full 5.1 / Quad release? I'd love to hear the quad of 'Echoes' so may have to get the individual box. Isn't there a whole new 5.1 mix of Meddle hidden on the big box somewhere? Does anyone know if this error made it to the separate boxes?

The 5.1 mix of “Meddle” is hidden away on the ‘71 Blu-Ray in the big box, but they removed it when the individual set came out this year.
I doubt it will get a proper release anytime soon.

The 5.1 mix of “Meddle” is hidden away on the ‘71 Blu-Ray in the big box, but they removed it when the individual set came out this year.
I doubt it will get a proper release anytime soon.

I liked your post even though I didn't like it if you know what I mean! Well, I can't really justify £300-400 for the big box just for a couple of 5.1 mixes. It is annoying when the mixes exist, but the record company can't justify / be bothered to release the 5.1 stuff in a more cost effective disc format. They could easily offer the 5.1 as a FLAC download or something for little effort and cost on their part...

I liked your post even though I didn't like it if you know what I mean! Well, I can't really justify £300-400 for the big box just for a couple of 5.1 mixes. It is annoying when the mixes exist, but the record company can't justify / be bothered to release the 5.1 stuff in a more cost effective disc format. They could easily offer the 5.1 as a FLAC download or something for little effort and cost on their part...

It's more complicated than that.
The reason that the 5.1 mixes for "Meddle" and "Obscured by Clouds" have not been (officially) released is that they were not approved by all Pink Floyd members in time for them to be released as part of the "Early Years" box set.
(Roger Waters apparently never approved of their release because he did not have a chance to hear them before the box was pressed, hence why they were were removed at the last minute, or so they thought...)

If they would have made it to the box set, then they also would have made it to the individual boxes, which are very affordable for the amount of content that they each possess. However, I can't see any more archival releases from this era of Pink Floyd's history happening anytime soon.

I must say, I'm a little surprised that Rhino Records has not marked the 40th anniversary of "Talking Heads 77" this year with a reissue of that record.
It would be a great way to kick off the reissue of those great Talking Heads 5.1 mixes on Blu-Ray.

I must say, I'm a little surprised that Rhino Records has not marked the 40th anniversary of "Talking Heads 77" this year with a reissue of that record.
It would be a great way to kick off the reissue of those great Talking Heads 5.1 mixes on Blu-Ray.

My oppo plays DVD-A's as well as blu-rays.

My PC plays DVD-A's (foobar) as well as Blu-rays (powerdvd).

My car plays 5.1 flac rips of those DVD-A's. My car doesn't play Blu-rays.

IMO there is no reason for Rhino (or any label) to "reissue" any DVD-A on blu-ray, especially one's I have already purchased, payed a mint for the first time, and can still continue to play on ALL my devices.

What, exactly, is the advantage of having the Talking Heads on Blu-ray??

I'd much prefer NEW surround mixes of anything not in the top 50 on the surround polls.

Charging twice for the same mix is not cool IMO. I'd rather have that money go towards a new mix.

I'm all for 40th anniversary box sets, just sets that have never been mixed into surround in the first place.

Last edited:
My oppo plays DVD-A's as well as blu-rays.

My PC plays DVD-A's (foobar) as well as Blu-rays (powerdvd).

My car plays 5.1 flac rips of those DVD-A's. My car doesn't play Blu-rays.

IMO there is no reason for Rhino (or any label) to "reissue" any DVD-A on blu-ray, especially one's I have already purchased, payed a mint for the first time, and can still continue to play on ALL my devices.

What, exactly, is the advantage of having the Talking Heads on Blu-ray??

I'd much prefer NEW surround mixes of anything not in the top 50 on the surround polls.

Charging twice for the same mix is not cool IMO. I'd rather have that money go towards a new mix.

I'm all for 40th anniversary box sets, just sets that have never been mixed into surround in the first place.

Honestly, that's an easy question to answer. For part of the membership here at QQ that don't own the Heads older surround releases, we'd have a great chance to purchase them now. And, on a very user friendly format that even my son could play. You gotta remember, just because your lucky enough to own them doesn't mean every one else does. (y)

At this very moment there's a copy of Talking Heads Brick for $109 in the SH classifieds-hi-res-digital-surround forum. I was sorely tempted!

Note - in order to see that particular forum I believe you need to have been registered for 30 days, and have at least 50 posts.....​

Honestly, that's an easy question to answer. For part of the membership here at QQ that don't own the Heads older surround releases, we'd have a great chance to purchase them now. And, on a very user friendly format that even my son could play. You gotta remember, just because your lucky enough to own them doesn't mean every one else does. (y)

Not only that, but the band and record label could also take advantage of the increased space of the Blu-Ray format by including extra audio and video content in high-resolution.

I hate to say it, but DVD-Audio is dead (again).
We have only had one commercial DVD-A/V release at the beginning of this year and nothing else after that.

Reissuing these Talking Heads 5.1 mixes on Blu-Ray is a great way to keep them around so that more people have the chance to discover how good they are.

Not only that, but the band and record label could also take advantage of the increased space of the Blu-Ray format by including extra audio and video content in high-resolution.

I hate to say it, but DVD-Audio is dead (again).
We have only had one commercial DVD-A/V release at the beginning of this year and nothing else after that.

Reissuing these Talking Heads 5.1 mixes on Blu-Ray is a great way to keep them around so that more people have the chance to discover how good they are.

But it appears bluray audio is very near dead as well. SACD might be the least dead of the dead formats and it's close to my least favorite format for surround.

Back