When Black Friday comes.....

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not only that, but the band and record label could also take advantage of the increased space of the Blu-Ray format by including extra audio and video content in high-resolution.

I hate to say it, but DVD-Audio is dead (again).
We have only had one commercial DVD-A/V release at the beginning of this year and nothing else after that.

Reissuing these Talking Heads 5.1 mixes on Blu-Ray is a great way to keep them around so that more people have the chance to discover how good they are.

:)

I never got the Brick and would definitely pick up all of the Talking Heads surround albums if they were all released on BD.

Like I stated in another thread somewhere, I’d re-purchase them all if they were to be released on the BD format. I’d love a new mix into Dolby Atmos. I can only imagine what that would sound like and Fear Of Music to Naked would be perfect candidates. Someone has to inform their record label straight away. Would that be Rhino at the present time?

I never got the Brick and would definitely pick up all of the Talking Heads surround albums if they were all released on BD.

but why not just get a used Brick on ebay or discogs?

used Brick would probably cost the same as a new BD release so no real reason to hope for a BD

basically same for every other dvd-a out there

but why not just get a used Brick on ebay or discogs?

used Brick would probably cost the same as a new BD release so no real reason to hope for a BD

basically same for every other dvd-a out there

Some people out there do not have DVDA-V players, and even if they did, some prefer the added benefits that the Blu-ray Disc provides, like high-definition video & increased space for more content.

Like I stated in another thread somewhere, I’d re-purchase them all if they were to be released on the BD format. I’d love a new mix into Dolby Atmos. I can only imagine what that would sound like and Fear Of Music to Naked would be perfect candidates. Someone has to inform their record label straight away. Would that be Rhino at the present time?

Yes

But it appears bluray audio is very near dead as well. SACD might be the least dead of the dead formats and it's close to my least favorite format for surround.

At least one advantage Blu-Ray audio has over (multichannel) SACD is that it is still supported by major labels for popular music releases.

At least one advantage Blu-Ray audio has over (multichannel) SACD is that it is still supported by major labels for popular music releases.

Blu Ray "could've" been the gold standard if the originators(headed by Sony)would have done some things better...they created the ultimate format with great storage capacity and failed miserably in several areas...on the technical side they had very little meaningful contact with the people that were going to manufacture the software(the discs)...and that resulted in the fix all phrase called "firmware updates"...these updates are fine for adding features...but they shouldn't have been necessary to play the discs...a little time spent with the people that author these discs would have prevented this problem...and marketing...another disaster by the Sony led group...they learned nothing from their massive failure in the Beta vs VHS battle...Beta was the better format...but in their infinite wisdom Sony never let people know about their superiority in a technical sense...their way of expressing superiority was to price the machines much higher than the VHS machines...which was instrumental to their failure....

If the Blu Ray Group would have made it easier to facilitate audio recordings...this format could have grown...but instead they made people jump thru hoops to release a blu ray audio and at significant cost...again...another Sony trait...instead of looking at the big picture and making the costs reasonable for an audio application...they opted to think short term and offered high prices and no real incentive for people in the audio industry....they were used to the big paydays from the movie industry and turned a blind eye to this potential market...

Last edited:
Some people out there do not have DVDA-V players, and even if they did, some prefer the added benefits that the Blu-ray Disc provides, like high-definition video & increased space for more content.

Yep, what rtbluray said. My Sony don't play DVD-A (yeah, yeah, I'll get one one day and probably kick myself for not getting one sooner!).

I check the Brick prices every now and then, and they're always really high, so I'm hoping they do a BD release. They could probably fit all of the albums on 1 or 2 BDs too.

I check the Brick prices every now and then, and they're always really high, so I'm hoping they do a BD release. They could probably fit all of the albums on 1 or 2 BDs too.

Lowest Brick price I've seen: right now $109 in the SH classifieds-hi-res-digital-surround forum. Note - in order to see that particular forum I believe you need to have been registered for 30 days, and have at least 50 posts.....

Peter Gabriel just changed the profile picture on his Facebook page to the cover of the "Kiss That Frog" single. This year is the 25th anniversary of Us. Probably wishful thinking. Even if we do get a deluxe Us set, he didn't put a 5.1 mix in the So box.... But I can dream!

(I did, of course, leave a comment on his page begging for a 5.1 mix!)

Peter Gabriel just changed the profile picture on his Facebook page to the cover of the "Kiss That Frog" single. This year is the 25th anniversary of Us. Probably wishful thinking. Even if we do get a deluxe Us set, he didn't put a 5.1 mix in the So box.... But I can dream!

(I did, of course, leave a comment on his page begging for a 5.1 mix!)

Yeah, I could be wrong, but Peter Gabriel does not seem at all interested in getting his back catalogue out in 5.1 surround, which is a shame cause III, IV, So, and Us would all be amazing in surround sound, as proved by the PLAY videos DVD.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's the low down I was given, yet some of his people did do some 5.1 mixes of tracks for fun, never heard them though :( . Plus I believe that there are often overdub on overdub and multiple track bounces on the older stuff due to not enough tracks on the multi-track! I doubt we'll ever see anything released other than Up and the videos though.

Yeah, I could be wrong, but Peter Gabriel does not seem at all interested in getting his back catalogue out in 5.1 surround, which is a shame cause III, IV, So, and Us would all be amazing in surround sound, as proved by the PLAY videos DVD.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have no interest in any reissue of the Talking Heads catalog because I already bought it once, and put the bits on my server where they belong. It doesn't matter what the format was. (In fact, some were DualDisc from the US, others DVD-A from Europe.) I want content that I don't already own. Especially, I want content that was already mixed into 5.1 by engineers I admire. Most of all, I want Pretzel Logic (Steely Dan / Elliot Scheiner) and Don't Shoot Me I'm Only the Piano Player (Elton John / Greg Penny). I don't care what format they come on, if any. Heck, I'd even settle for an SACD (though I don't own a drive that can read them). I'm not holding my breath for either of these releases.

Thought I'd revive this thread for 2018 as holiday shopping season is only about three months away which means it shouldn't be too long until the labels start announcing what deluxe sets will be out for the holidays.

Things that we are likely to see before the end of the year:
The Beatles - The White Album
John Lennon - Imagine
XTC - tbd
Jethro Tull - This Was
King Crimson - The ConstruKction of Light and The Power to Believe
Doobie Brothers - Quadio box

The hopefully we'll see before the end of the year list:
Pink Floyd - Animals
(I'd put Tears For Fears' Seeds of Love here, but I'm thinking Universal will hold off until next year for its 30th anniversary. I'd love to see it for the 29th though!)

The wishful thinking list:
Rush - Hemispheres

What else can we add to the list? (Maybe I shouldn't ask. If everything above gets released before the end of the year I'll be broke!)

I'm predicting a smorgasbord of titles from Dutton Vocalion before the year is over, like over 30 Quadraphonic titles of both the pop and easy listening variety.
Marillion's manager has also confirmed the release of the deluxe reissue of "Clutching at Straws" in November, so that's another great title to look forward to! And maybe Steven Wilson can also find the time to remix "Free Hand" for Gentle Giant.
I also have my fingers crossed that Rhino has more goodies in store for us besides the Doobie Brothers Quadio box set, like maybe a 40th anniversary box set for "The Cars" with that unreleased 5.1 mix on Blu-Ray?!

Hope Springs Eternal!

:)

Back