BluRay Music Video Poll David Gilmour - Live at Pompeii [Blu-Ray]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the Blu-Ray of David Gilmour - Live at Pompeii

• Total voters

rtbluray

Hi-Res Moderator
Staff member
QQ Supporter
Please post your thoughts and comments on this 2017 Blu-Ray release from David Gilmour entitled "Live at Pompeii".
All concert footage (including bonus tracks) is available in 5.1 surround sound, while all documentary footage is in stereo.
https://music.apple.com/us/album/live-at-pompeii/1260000840(n) :) (y)

81dc4938gmL._SL1500_.jpg

71IKmsnQDNL._SL1200_.jpg

Last edited:
Greetings,
I am really disappointed that this was not released in 4K Blu-Ray with the ATMOS soundtrack. I will purchase this release, but I'm going to wait a bit to see if any announcement is made regarding 4K and/or ATMOS.
I got burned when I purchased "Remember That Night" on DVD, only to have the Blu-Ray released shortly afterward (which I wound up purchasing as well).
This seems like a huge missed opportunity to me. It was shot in 4k and released to theaters with an ATMOS soundtrack.
Has anyone heard anything about a 4k/ATMOS release?
Thanks,
Ryan

Greetings,
I am really disappointed that this was not released in 4K Blu-Ray with the ATMOS soundtrack. I will purchase this release, but I'm going to wait a bit to see if any announcement is made regarding 4K and/or ATMOS.
I got burned when I purchased "Remember That Night" on DVD, only to have the Blu-Ray released shortly afterward (which I wound up purchasing as well).
This seems like a huge missed opportunity to me. It was shot in 4k and released to theaters with an ATMOS soundtrack.
Has anyone heard anything about a 4k/ATMOS release?
Thanks,
Ryan

As it WAS released by SONY Music which is a huge proponent of 4K, I'm sure there'll be a 4K/Dolby Atmos release before year's end.

As it WAS released by SONY Music which is a huge proponent of 4K, I'm sure there'll be a 4K/Dolby Atmos release before year's end.
You're not suggesting a 'double-dip' marketing strategy. Sony would never do that, would they? :yikesI've been holding out on 4K blu-ray. That would probably make me pull the trigger!

You're not suggesting a 'double-dip' marketing strategy. Sony would never do that, would they? :yikesI've been holding out on 4K blu-ray. That would probably make me pull the trigger!

Who, ME?

If it was indeed shot in 4K [which I'm sure it was] and was released to theaters in Dolby Atmos, it would seem apparent that SONY will eventually release it in 4K/Dolby Atmos.

Maybe they're saving 4K for the Xmas market

This makes a little sense to me, as I wondered why they were releasing it in late September. I figured they would have waited for around Black Friday.

I canceled my purchase (so I could free up the money to get a King Crimson box set) but I watched this the other night on Qello. I saw him on the last of his 3 Chicago dates in April, and was very impressed (and moved, getting to see him live after nearly 20 years of being a fan). I greatly regret not seeing him in 2006 for obvious reasons, but am at least glad I got to hear the two songs from On An Island, as well as seeing him perform with Jon Carin and Phil Manzanera, who I each hold in high regard as musicians mainly because of their work with David. When I'd heard they and the other keyboardist left, I was worried that the chemistry was now a little tainted that they were gone. I have respect for Chuck Leavell and Greg Phillinganes, for their work with major, major artists but I was even skeptical if they could bring something comparable to what Gilmour requires. The almost underwhelming performance for Polish television did not do much to reassure me, even though it was their (and Chester Kamen's) first show.

But boy oh boy was I wrong when it came to watching this. Any fears this would be a likewise middling performance (at least to Gilmour's standards, the Poland show had it's moments as well despite the personnel shakeup), were dashed away immediately. Not only did the new additions feel fully in place, but I can tell that this was a moving performance for David because he plays and sings brilliantly. I actually got quite emotional myself watching "Comfortably Numb". It brought me back to that unseasonably (but typical Chicago) cold April night. For other recent topical reasons too, about the power of live music and how important it is to treasure the fact we have limited time left with our heroes now. This is particularly underlined here by the fact that his voice and abilities as a guitar player belies his 7 decades. And as someone that's been a dedicated follower of his for the last two, I cannot ask for any more from him than what this has given me.

Last edited:
I am waiting for the sun, to go down in California and will do a good watch/listen and get back. In the meantime 24 bit remastered Whitesnake stereo rules

Beautiful video, a 10. I have a 4K monitor and my receiver has 4K up scaling so the only thing left to judge is the camera persons, which I will not judge.
Only disc 1, beautiful surround in 5.1, only immersive, meaning equal output, not discrete, meaning different things happening in different speakers, and not ambient rears, meaning front loaded and audience in rears. So, it is a fully immersive Blu ray.
Looking forward to exploring all the discs.
I picked the 5.1 DTS HD Master, there is a PCM stereo choice and an X choice. I picked the X choice first and my McIntosh played it in stereo. I am not sure what the X choice is ?
I gave the poll an 8 vote as it is immersive, not discrete. I will say even though I gave an 8 it sounds great but my experience is that live discs are made for the masses, nut us nut jobs.
Edit: the song Money is discrete, I'll hold my enthusiasm till I finish with disc 2.

Listening/watching the Disc 2 Blu Ray, 5.1, just as good as disc one. I like the fact it is fully immersive, and even when the audience spikes upward it is spread out between all speakers, not just rears.

Voted 8, but it's a super strong 8.

-1 for no Atmos
-1 for Davey's voice. It's ok, but "The Voice of Pink Floyd" it is no more. Still, better than Geddy at this late stage.

This concert is more discrete than some have given it credit for, on quite a few songs. That said, discreteness is not the reason to seek this out.
The performance is awesome, musically. Definitely some definitive jams. Visually, there are some stunning moments too.
Sonically, apart from DG's voice (which you might love), this is excellent. All parts heard very clearly.

Audio and video-wise there are quite a few moments in this show that are worth the price of admission.

I have to say I find the audio on the tracks from the South America tour far more natural than that on the main concert from Pompeii.

Don't get me wrong: the audio on Pompeii sounds great but it's almost as if it were a studio recording. Personally, I don't hear enough ambience. I don't hear the venue. To me it sounds like they just took the close mic'ing of all of the instruments but somehow forgot to mix in whatever mics they had placed to pick up the venue.

Example: the saxophone at the end of Shine On Your Crazy Diamond. When I play this the sax is VERY present in the rear right speaker - sounding quite loud actually - and the rest of the band seems to have been turned down a notch. Especially the drums miss a certain punch and breathing room.

So a 7 for me.

Music 7/10 Because the Gilmour solos material is not as good as the PF songs
Video 9/10 Good picture
Audio 8.5/10 Good surround mix discrete with some guitar, piano, and vocals in the rears.

I'm just weighing in on this old thread (forgive!) to see if anyone had the same experience as me with this box set blu-ray. I rarely play my copy because every time I do I'm frustrated - barely any bass. Yet, I've never seen anyone else mention anything like this. I bought it at a lower price from Amazon Italy (brought to my attention via the SDE website at the time of initial release), and I've often wondered if I ended up with some kind of faulty copy. :(
Any thoughts appreciated.

I'm just weighing in on this old thread (forgive!) to see if anyone had the same experience as me with this box set blu-ray. I rarely play my copy because every time I do I'm frustrated - barely any bass. Yet, I've never seen anyone else mention anything like this. I bought it at a lower price from Amazon Italy (brought to my attention via the SDE website at the time of initial release), and I've often wondered if I ended up with some kind of faulty copy. :(
Any thoughts appreciated.
No sorry, my copy sounds fine in the bottom end...

Back