Tom Petty (1950-2017)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So far, the major networks and newspapers like the New York Times are holding off on the news beyond a few stating he has been hospitalized. It seems very odd to me that in 2017 with mass communications just about instantaneous, that no one--including Petty's family or publicist, management--can or will confirm anything.

And so we have another thread title change subject to some confirmation of Mr. Petty's status. Too much to hope this has all been a false alarm, for even sensationalists like TMZ tend not to futz up something this big very often.

ED

So far, the major networks and newspapers like the New York Times are holding off on the news beyond a few stating he has been hospitalized. It seems very odd to me that in 2017 with mass communications just about instantaneous, that no one--including Petty's family or publicist, management--can or will confirm anything.

And so we have another thread title change subject to some confirmation of Mr. Petty's status. Too much to hope this has all been a false alarm, for even sensationalists like TMZ tend not to futz up something this big very often.

Yes, the media has received a black eye on this story.
http://www.azcentral.com/story/ente...om-petty-death-media-false-reports/725707001/

Yes, the media has received a black eye on this story.
http://www.azcentral.com/story/ente...om-petty-death-media-false-reports/725707001/[/QUOTE

581bb8ecd2f6e.image.jpg

We Don't Know How It Feels to be him...
...but It's Good To Be King, just for a while...
( ( ( ((( good vibes ))) ) ) )

...Nelson and Lefty Wilbury are waiting up yonder for whenever Charlie T. Jr. takes that last ride Into The Great Wide Open...

He was really good. A true rocker and his early life was very sad. To think a father could do that to his own son.

Doug

Always liked him...we're talking '78 til now..never saw him live (he hadn't come back to Spain in a very long time either, but I thought I'd always see him play...

Great stuff, Tom, we'll miss you very much, man!!

Very sad. Lucky to have seen him twice backing Dylan when they co-headlined with the Dead in 1986. Just couldn't swing a show on this recent 40th anniversary tour. Bummer.

RIP.

See them while you can.....Who know what tomorrow will bring.

Good obit by Jon Pareles in the New York Times. Which is to say it's official now. It's also possible that the news about Tom was accurate but 'jumped the gun,' that his family wanted some time to tell others privately and then tell the world. That Bob Dylan had something nice to say so early made many of us think, yeah, it must be true, and maybe he was one of those who got the word right away.

A lot of fine music, and really a very normal guy who happened to be a great rocker with a band of friends he'd worked with since the beginning. I think that, like Bruce Springsteen's band, one reason for his popularity was that kinship, the authenticity, the love for rock and roll.

ED :)

I agree Ed - during my teen years, Petty just seemed real to me. Almost as if his music was speaking to me, in the mid west. I never got the chance to see him live.....oops...unless he was at the 1985 Farm Aid show...then I guess I did. I was pretty young and stupid in 1985, so there's that.

RIP Tom, just a large library of great music. 66 really is just way too young. Especially someone who was as prolific as him and from what I can tell via videos, a wonderful performer.

another Rock Legend passes on. Makes you think how blessed our music lives have been. Long live Quad and Surround Music! A power for good in this evil world.

Always flash on Silence of the Lambs; the Tom Petty singalong; American Girl
Another hero bites the dust; amazing, that we still have Peter Edward Baker, & Keith Richards!

Thank God I got to see him live a couple of times. Those were great concerts his set lists were long and very satisfying.
I need to listen to the live anthology quick......

Well, I am certainly heartbroken about Tom Petty. I wasn't a big fan until I saw his documentary, and then it all made sense to me. But long before he was as huge as he became, I remember when I was in high school, going to record stores JUST to look at that Rickenbacker on the cover of "Damn The Torpedoes".

Anyway, I want to chime in here to tell anyone who doesn't already know that Tom Petty produced the latest Chris Hillman CD, which was released just a couple weeks ago. If you like Chris Hillman like I do, it's a must-have.

Chris Hillman is in the middle of a tour with Herb Pederson and John Jorgensen, and they'll be stopping by Kent, Ohio, on Thursday. I'm really looking forward to the show and sharing a moment with a group of artists that are sure to pay tribute to Petty.

Didn't know he had been a junkie for years and that he had a fling with Stevie Nicks and did a lot of Marching Powder...the weedski I always knew cause I remember a Playboy "20 questions" from the 80s and he said that he "enjoyed a spliff every now and AGAIN"....

I'll chime in...to whatever is in charge up there...GIVE US A BREAK, COME ON!!!!!!

:smokin dedicated to Tom!!!

Glad someone else remembers that tour.

Thanks, Tom, for Mudcrutch, Heartbreakers and Wilburys, among other things.

If you can find one, I recommend the Best Buy exclusive Live Anthology box (5 CD, Vinyl, 2 DVD, Blu-ray & Book - Deluxe Limited).

RIP

Very sad. Lucky to have seen him twice backing Dylan when they co-headlined with the Dead in 1986. Just couldn't swing a show on this recent 40th anniversary tour. Bummer.

RIP.

See them while you can.....Who know what tomorrow will bring.

Back