Moody Blues Days of Future Passed (50th Anniversary Edition with Surround Sound DVD)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, at the very least, one would be getting a bone fide 96/24 DVD~A stereo transfer of the original mix which itself is worth the price of admission...
I would agree on the condition that the mastering is sympathetic and conservative. The stereo mastering on the SACDs was overly loud. (And I'm pretty sure it will be a DVD-V with LPCM stereo, not a DVD-A.)

Who am I kidding? I'll probably end up buying this.
"Days of Future Passed" is one of my favorite albums of all time (and my favorite Moody Blues album) and I'm starting to listen to SACDs less and less, meaning I end up listening more to my Blu-Ray and DVD-A/V (or DVD-V) titles.

At some point, there should also be a DVD & Blu-Ray release of the 2017 "Days of Future Passed 50th Anniversary" tour.
The band filmed two shows in Toronto this year backed by a full symphony orchestra.
That should be amazing!

:)

I saw this tour and I have seen the band a zillion times, many times twice in a day, since the mid seventies. I thought John and Justin were in superb vocal shape and the band did sound as good as i have ever heard them sound. I was amazed at how well the show went, even though the jays had to sing Mike and Rays parts. It flowed and rocked. I am sure this DVD will be a keeper!

You all know how much I love a good packshot, right?
Well, feast your eyes on this!

Passed50.jpg

I'm totally confused

was the 5.1 surround mix on the SACD derived from a 1968 master quad but the 5.1 surround on this BD release derived from a different 1972 Master quad or is this BD 5.1 the same mix that was on the 2006 SACD?

If so how can it be called "new technology" if it was available in 2006 or is this "new" technology just referring to the stereo mix only?

I am such a sucker. I ordered early...canceled when I found out the mix was old.....then saw the packshot....reordered. I'm done. Too cheap not to own.

I am such a sucker. I ordered early...canceled when I found out the mix was old.....then saw the packshot....reordered. I'm done. Too cheap not to own.

Well, it's your mullah, Gene but all you're really getting if you have the great sounding 5.1 SACD is the original stereo mix from the 'restored' analogue masters and a LOSSY 5.1 mix.....for 25:banana:s

If it came with a LOSSLESS BD~A, I'd be ALL OVER IT!

Well, it's your mullah, Gene but all you're really getting if you have the great sounding 5.1 SACD is the original stereo mix from the 'restored' analogue masters and a LOSSY 5.1 mix.....for 25:banana:s

If it came with a LOSSLESS BD~A, I'd be ALL OVER IT!

I know what I'm getting. Money? $25? That's just a Thursday night bottle of Cabernet......
No biggie...

I love the way the set looks. I'm paying for looks, a few extras...coolness. :)

I'm totally confused

was the 5.1 surround mix on the SACD derived from a 1968 master quad but the 5.1 surround on this BD release derived from a different 1972 Master quad or is this BD 5.1 the same mix that was on the 2006 SACD?

If so how can it be called "new technology" if it was available in 2006 or is this "new" technology just referring to the stereo mix only?

First of all, this 2017 release contains two CDs and one DVD. To date, no Moody Blues surround mixes have been released on Blu-Ray (although I wish they would be...)
Next, there is only one Quadraphonic mix of "Days of Future Passed". It was mixed and released in 1972, and it is this mix that has been repurposed for 5.1 surround on the DTSCD, SACD, and the (upcoming) 50th anniversary releases.
The 'new technology' bit refers to the repairs that were made to the master tape of the original 1967 stereo mix, allowing that mix to be reissued for the first time since the album's original release.

Hope that explains it! :)

Don’t know why but I hesitated on purchasing this one at first but finally ordered last night. I have both the DTS and SACD (Deluxe Edition).
I'm leaning towards this one myself, I get in to the Moody's at various times and the price looks right. Is it a redo of the dts (have it)/SACD (don't) or is there more to it sound wise? Might just get it for the artwork.

I am a very weak man also...ordered, and I also prefer the earlier DTS disc over the SACD, it just has more "pop" for me. I'd pay the $25 just for the original stereo mix, CD2 extras, and video performances.

Think I must like this album.
I have the DTS CD the SACD, timeless flight box with the 5.1 included and now the 50th Anniversay edition.
5.1 mix all the same bit the mediums are different.

I'm totally confused

There is an early stereo mix - not used for LPs since '72 and never on cd till now.

Bought my copy at my local record store today. This is a nice, well-priced set.

Audio options are DTS 96/24 5.1 and Dolby AC3 5.1 for the surround sound mix as well as LPCM 96 kHz/24 bit audio for the original 1967 stereo mix.
(DVD was authored by Ray Shulman)

The visual content from the British Gala Du Midem in January 1968 includes performances of "Peak Hour", "Tuesday Afternoon" and "Nights in White Satin", and it is really quite cool to have this previously unreleased footage included.

Only complaint I have about the set is the fact that the DVD was in one of the cardboard side slips instead of being in a plastic disc holder like the CDs, but other than that, this set is very nice and is a perfect purchase for those of you who do not have the 2006 SACD.

(If you have the 2006 SACD there is less need for this new edition because the surround sound on both editions sounds almost identical to my ears.)

(If you have the 2006 SACD there is less need for this new edition because the surround sound on both editions sounds almost identical to my ears.)
How about the newly-restored '67 stereo mix? I have an early CD issue of the '72 stereo mix that sounds fantastic to my ears, but I'm curious about the '67 mix on CD and DVD. Is it sympathetically mastered? Is the restoration work detectable?

An upload to the DR Database would be most appreciated.

Back