Moody Blues Days of Future Passed (50th Anniversary Edition with Surround Sound DVD)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, here we go again with yet another--not entirely pointless--reissue. For the original stereo mix alone, worth the purchase, particularly if you don't have a nice, clean copy of the original vinyl from wherever (the US original stereo edition is common as weeds, really, though quality of the pressings is highly variable, typical of anything through London anyway). For those curious, there are two major differences in the '68 and '72 mixes. The first is this: the original is more bass heavy and less (though not by a lot) high frequencies. Although designed for the DSS ('Deramic Sound System') series, the band was lucky to have Tony Clarke as a producer/partisan, and one has to believe the mix was one they okayed, though a 'normal' audiophile release of 1967/68--that is, anything classical--would not have been mixed or Eq'd in such a fashion. The second major difference is that although there were enough intact multitrack session tapes to assemble a really strong quad album, some songs are missing overdubs from tracks that were MIA; that, and the sound has better overall dynamic range and it's not as bassy, as it were. And although the DTS edition from the original quad was No-Noised (or otherwise NR'd and processed), it's nevertheless, to my ears, a more faithful representation of the master tape than the modified 5.1 of the SACD. Your mileage may vary on that point, but I find the SACD a tad processed, but in a different way, and it has always bothered me, whereas I can get a little of the sparkle back to the quad by simply upping the highs a little bit.

Sidebar: This has been discussed a lot here and elsewhere, but the bottom line of LOST CHORD and why it was never quad was that, while some songs were fully intact, others had too much missing to be remixed, so that one was a no go.

Looking at the track listing, I also notice that the stereo mixes for the "Nights in White Satin"/"Cities" 45 do not appear, though the mono mixes do. This is interesting, as most of the Moodies' mono mixes as of this album were fold downs from the stereo, but this 45 had dedicated mono mixes, AFAIK (these two songs were also the earliest Moody stereo we have; all previous releases were mono only, regardless of how they were recorded).

Finally, the first few albums were also released in folded down mono in the UK, yet these have never been reissued. In one sense that's logical, but even with those, some Eq or other things might have been done beyond that, so they are unique in their way, too.

ED :)

I'm just now playing my copy that arrived today afternoon. I'm instantly pleased with my purchase? Why?

1. I didn't own the SACD, only DTS CD
2. Video to stare at while I listen....
3. some extras...

for me, this is a homerun purchase. Love it.... :)

Mine arrived today also and I am certain I will feel the same way as I am not a big Moody fan except for the radio hits, this release being the only Moody Blues disc I own.

Mine arrived today also and I am certain I will feel the same way as I am not a big Moody fan except for the radio hits, this release being the only Moody Blues disc I own.

Wow! I think you're gonna love it. I mean, I think you will. This is a monumental album and sounds wonderful in surround. In my opinion of course....

Mark, I wasn't going to triple dip {I have it on DTS RBCD and SACD 5.1] but I feel this really is a classic and it'll be nice to crank it up on my Meridian 800 [even though it's DTS]. At least they're including the VERY rare original Stereo mix in LOSSLESS 96/24 and the 5.1 is wildly and effectively DISCRETE!

It might even put VG IN THE MOOD! :yikes

Arrived today. Listened to the SACD quad version first but used the conversion to PCM because I no longer have a 5.0 second system. The SACD was then upconverted to Dolby Atmos. I’m on the last song off the quad tracks on the DVD and listening in Dolby AC-3 unconverted into Dolby Atmos. Except for it being a bit louder and less dynamic sounding than the SACD, I hear no other difference. I may have to do a track by track comparison.

Arrived today. Haven’t listened yet, will do so tonight. It’s certainly right up my alley in terms of price, content, and size.

Meanwhile, the R.E.M. Automatic for the People set is looming in the corner, stalking me reproachfully like some 1990s alternative leviathan, literally drawing objects into its gravitational field with its massive bulk and size.

A couple of details to mention about the packaging. Where’s the slip cover? Damn poster was loose, fell out and hit the floor. I managed to squeeze it in with the booklet after trying to put it in with the DVD unsuccessfully. I didn’t need the Poster. They show it on the display screen. Also, I like the glossy (or, is it semi-glossy) cover on the SACD packaging better.

The new packaging did arrive with a small indentation on the back of the cover. :howl:violin ?

Sorry, didn’t like it. Musically, all those strings and things, weak songs, two radio hits, but boring to me. The surround was weak also, no passion within me to write more. Can’t like everything.

It was an unusual album when it first came out and considered a breakthrough. I can see how it would probably sound dated to those who weren't there at the time.

Sorry, didn’t like it. Musically, all those strings and things, weak songs, two radio hits, but boring to me. The surround was weak also, no passion within me to write more. Can’t like everything.

How about the newly-restored '67 stereo mix? I have an early CD issue of the '72 stereo mix that sounds fantastic to my ears, but I'm curious about the '67 mix on CD and DVD. Is it sympathetically mastered? Is the restoration work detectable?

An upload to the DR Database would be most appreciated.
Bump. Can anyone help me out?

Bump. Can anyone help me out?

Can't really talk about DR values, but what I can say is that the fidelity is far superior on the newer stereo mix, and I think that's down to both mixing choices made at the time and the quality (or lack thereof) of how the master tapes were handled over time.

Isn’t the quad based on the original mix for this album?

Not really.
Both the Quadraphonic mix and stereo remix were completed in 1972, and both have a few missing parts that appear in the original stereo mix, most notably the extra backing vocals during parts of "Evening (Time To Get Away)".

:)

Can't really talk about DR values...
Found values over on the other forum, and someone just uploaded values for the hi-res download to the database:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Analyzed: The Moody Blues / Days Of Future Passed (Deluxe Version)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DR Peak RMS Duration Track
DR10 0.00 dB -15.12 dB 5:48 01-The Day Begins (Remastered 2017)
DR11 -0.78 dB -15.75 dB 3:48 02-Dawn: Dawn Is A Feeling (Remastered 2017)
DR11 0.00 dB -12.88 dB 3:40 03-The Morning: Another Morning (Remastered 2017)
DR8 0.00 dB -10.68 dB 5:16 04-Lunch Break: Peak Hour (Remastered 2017)
DR10 0.00 dB -12.21 dB 8:25 05-The Afternoon (Remastered 2017)
DR9 0.00 dB -11.94 dB 6:38 06-Evening (Remastered 2017)
DR9 0.00 dB -12.82 dB 7:43 07-The Night (Remastered 2017)

Number of tracks: 7
Official DR value: DR10

Samplerate: 96000 Hz
Channels: 2
Bits per sample: 24
Bitrate: 2488 kbps
Codec: FLAC
================================================================================
Not great, but better than the 2006 remaster of the 1972 stereo mix. For all we know, there's not much additional dynamic range on the 1967 master tape, but I would venture to guess there is a bit more.

Not really.
Both the Quadraphonic mix and stereo remix were completed in 1972, and both have a few missing parts that appear in the original stereo mix, most notably the extra backing vocals during parts of "Evening (Time To Get Away)".

:)

That’s surprising! I’ve heard either an exact duplicate of the stereo versions of albums on the quad or added sections on the popular (pop/rock) quads I’ve heard.

Found values over on the other forum, and someone just uploaded values for the hi-res download to the database:

Not great, but better than the 2006 remaster of the 1972 stereo mix. For all we know, there's not much additional dynamic range on the 1967 master tape, but I would venture to guess there is a bit more.
It came out again in 2006?

It came out again in 2006?
Yes, 2006 saw the rerelease of the Moodies' catalog up through Seventh Sojourn on hybrid multichannel SACDs. The CD and SACD stereo layers contained new masterings of the stereo mixes (mostly original, '72 remix for DoFP) plus bonus tracks, and the SACD surround layer contained newly-created 5.1 upmixes from the quad masters. The 5.1 mix on this new DVD-V is the same as the 5.1 mix on the '06 SACD, but the stereo mix included on the CD and DVD is the original '67 mix for the first time since 1972.

Back