Moody Blues Days of Future Passed (50th Anniversary Edition with Surround Sound DVD)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, 2006 saw the rerelease of the Moodies' catalog up through Seventh Sojourn on hybrid multichannel SACDs. The CD and SACD stereo layers contained new masterings of the stereo mixes (mostly original, '72 remix for DoFP) plus bonus tracks, and the SACD surround layer contained newly-created 5.1 upmixes from the quad masters. The 5.1 mix on this new DVD-V is the same as the 5.1 mix on the '06 SACD, but the stereo mix included on the CD and DVD is the original '67 mix for the first time since 1972.

No you did not answer the question. You claimed the original 67 DoFP mix appeared in 2006 reissued. I'd not known about that. When I asked, you say yes above but go on to not confirm.
(Edit)
My mistake, you only state that the '72 mix was reissued.

As the price on this was only $23.00 USD, I picked up a copy as a backup to the 2006 SACD version.
I did not notice too much a difference in the surround sound other than I didn’t really need to bump my sub like I do for the SACD.

Like a forgetful husband though…
The label was a little lazy putting forth any effort into this “50th Anniversary” edition when it comes to the packaging and liner notes. The label used pretty much the exact same liner notes as the SACD release and song description details.
Strangely, the long historical account by Mark Powell is pretty much represented word-for-word until the last paragraph where it is updated for the 50th year mention. Well that and a line where they took out the word “Whilst” and replaced it with “While”.

Thankfully, the inclusion of the original 1967 stereo release and the French TV show video content keep it from being a complete retread.

Last edited:
Got mine on Monday. The video cuts are mind-blowingly great. Hate the cropping of the cover on the front cover (the booklet is correct), however. Note that the SACD & 50th crop differently, one loses the top of the art & the other loses the bottom.

Yes, 2006 saw the rerelease of the Moodies' catalog up through Seventh Sojourn on hybrid multichannel SACDs. The CD and SACD stereo layers contained new masterings of the stereo mixes (mostly original, '78 remix for DoFP) plus bonus tracks, and the SACD surround layer contained newly-created 5.1 upmixes from the quad masters. The 5.1 mix on this new DVD-V is the same as the 5.1 mix on the '06 SACD, but the stereo mix included on the CD and DVD is the original '67 mix for the first time since before 1978.
I was mistaken about the age of the stereo remix. While the quad mix was done in 1972, the stereo remix wasn't done at the same time. It was undertaken much later in 1978. Sorry!

I was mistaken about the age of the stereo remix. While the quad mix was done in 1972, the stereo remix wasn't done at the same time. It was undertaken much later in 1978. Sorry!

The stereo remix was completed in 1978?
The 2017 edition says it was completed in 1972, same year as the Quadraphonic mix.
Fascinating...

BTW, speaking of the Moody Blues & Days of Futue Passed:
[video=youtube;MCkGkTwDd5k]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MCkGkTwDd5k[/video]

MV5BOGMxOTI4YzUtYzVjNi00Y2FiLWIwODgtM2JkMjgzZWFiNzVlXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMzMyMDUyMDg@._V1_.jpg

The stereo remix was completed in 1978?
The 2017 edition says it was completed in 1972, same year as the Quadraphonic mix.
Fascinating...
That is fascinating... Wouldn't be the first time some misinformation made it into liner notes, but this seems like a major mistake that should have been caught!

The best and most consistent info I can find is that the stereo remix dates from 1978. However, the part about the original 1967 stereo master tape being "damaged" may be exaggerated at best and disingenuous at worst. It seems the remix arose out of a desire to create a "cleaner," more "hi-fi" sound that simply hadn't been possible (or at least hadn't been achieved) ten years earlier. Once the remix existed, the band and its record label(s) always wanted to use it for each successive release because it "sounded better," even though the original mix was in perfectly usable condition.

Curiouser and curiouser, eh?

That is fascinating... Wouldn't be the first time some misinformation made it into liner notes, but this seems like a major mistake that should have been caught!

The best and most consistent info I can find is that the stereo remix dates from 1978. However, the part about the original 1967 stereo master tape being "damaged" may be exaggerated at best and disingenuous at worst. It seems the remix arose out of a desire to create a "cleaner," more "hi-fi" sound that simply hadn't been possible (or at least hadn't been achieved) ten years earlier. Once the remix existed, the band and its record label(s) always wanted to use it for each successive release because it "sounded better," even though the original mix was in perfectly usable condition.

Curiouser and curiouser, eh?

I heard the original DERAM stereo LP a month after it was released on a mid fi system and it always sounded hollow to me. Hearing the hi res surround version on a great system was a revelation to me. Anything but hollow! I can foresee a Dolby Atmos BD~A remaster down the road.:banana:

Lest we forget, DOFP was recorded utilizing the DERAMIC SOUND SYSTEM as proudly displayed on the original albums front cover: https://www.bing.com/images/search?...4*thid_OIP.W5yb8JRv2jc3-aNk34maAAD6D6&iss=VSI

A video clip of "Tuesday Afternoon" from the recent live special on PBS:
[video=youtube;shvcupoGHKg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=shvcupoGHKg[/video]

(If you ask me, I think Justin Hayward still sounds great!)

:)

[video=youtube;shvcupoGHKg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=shvcupoGHKg[/video]

But Hayward just looks so old...unlike the rest of us on this forum who have retained our youthful good looks of 40 years ago. :banana:

I can't agree with that. He's constantly breaking and heavily reliant on AutoTune. I saw the Moodies live about ten years ago and they were fine, but I think it's time to hang it up, now.

I can't agree with that. He's constantly breaking and heavily reliant on AutoTune. I saw the Moodies live about ten years ago and they were fine, but I think it's time to hang it up, now.

I agree with you...to be candid it was painful to hear him in the first part of the song...it sounds like he is stuttering..not sure if that is the video quality of the clip or if he really sounds like that....I have one of their concerts from the 2005 tour and his voice is excellent...the price on the blu ray has gone up a lot...but if you like the Moody Blues...it's worth THIS PRICE

I ordered this on deepdiscount a while back, only to have it go on "out of stock, more coming" status -- until today, when they cancelled my order.

Now it's out of stock on Amazon, as well! Oh well, got my money back . . . given I have the SACD multi already, and there's not much new, I'll just take a pass.

Of course, next year I'll probably pay double on eBay for it :xp:

Based on an amazon.com vinyl listing, the "Days of Future Passed Live" PBS special will be released on March 23rd.

I think I missed something: I have the old DTS cd from 2001, is that not based on the quad mix? I want to know if the most recent release is an entirely different mix. Some posts are giving the the impression that the 5.1 mixes are the same, but I am not quite sure.

I think I missed something: I have the old DTS cd from 2001, is that not based on the quad mix? I want to know if the most recent release is an entirely different mix. Some posts are giving the the impression that the 5.1 mixes are the same, but I am not quite sure.

All modern surround releases of “Days of Future Passed” (on DTSCD, SACD, and DVD-V) utilize the original 1970s Quadraphonic mix.

I ordered this on deepdiscount a while back, only to have it go on "out of stock, more coming" status -- until today, when they cancelled my order.

Now it's out of stock on Amazon, as well! Oh well, got my money back . . . given I have the SACD multi already, and there's not much new, I'll just take a pass.

Of course, next year I'll probably pay double on eBay for it :xp:

I pre~ordered this set on November 19th from ImportCD and have yet to receive a cancellation notice. Import is still showing this set as 'backordered....' http://www.importcds.com/days-of-future-passed-50th-anniversary-deluxe/602567008972

I purchased it mainly for the 'restored' Hi Rez 24 bit Stereo Remaster as I do have the DTS RBCD and the fine sounding hi rez 5.1 SACD.

Back