INXS - "Kick" (30th anniversary edition with Dolby Atmos mix coming soon!)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
According to AmazonUK, my order is 'on the way' and should arrive in New York on November 16th. :banana:

I'm hoping the 9th cause Veterans Day is the 10th and no delivery.

Realistically the 13th, possibly The 11th.

Last edited:
Got my shipment notice from UDiscover. Looks like I should get in 7-14 days. It's gonna be great I already know it.
Standard Delivery Times
UK Approximately 1-4 working days
Europe Approximately 4-7 working days
USA / Canada Approximately 7-14 working days/ Rest of the World Approximately 7-20 working days (depending on location)

I picked this up in Sydney today (Red Eye Records). I've had a quick listen. I have two 5.1 systems where I am. Its fantastic!!!! On the first listen outdoors on system one, Oppo 103 decoded the Dolby Atmos as Dolby True HD and played though the Denon receivers analog inputs. The sound was exceptionally clear, the voice was spectacular, the bass thumping and the surround both atmospheric but incredibly discrete. All those INXSisms punctuate the soundtrack all over the soundscape for the proper dramatic effect. The are some great artistic uses of surround on this disc that do justice to how I always thought INXS should sound in this format. The mix takes nothing from the energy of the original. Considering this is the same team that delivered St Pepper a few months ago ( I think) , this is an eye opener. The videos are all also available with the Dolby Atmos mix.

On my second system, also with an Oppo 103, but with the decoding being performed by a Denon receiver in Dolby True HD its almost as good although I think the Oppo did a better decoding job. It was always a great album! Simple but great! This mix really makes it come alive and gives it a clarity rarely heard on a rock album and thats only on a several years old 5.1 system. Can't imagine what it sounds like in the proper Atmos format. Will post more after another listen in the morning rain dependant.

First pictures, looks nice. No time today for listening, though.

Attachments

• IMG_6943.jpg
    IMG_6943.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 219
  • IMG_6945.jpg
    IMG_6945.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 221
I picked this up in Sydney today (Red Eye Records). I've had a quick listen. I have two 5.1 systems where I am. Its fantastic!!!! On the first listen outdoors on system one, Oppo 103 decoded the Dolby Atmos as Dolby True HD and played though the Denon receivers analog inputs. The sound was exceptionally clear, the voice was spectacular, the bass thumping and the surround both atmospheric but incredibly discrete. All those INXSisms punctuate the soundtrack all over the soundscape for the proper dramatic effect. The are some great artistic uses of surround on this disc that do justice to how I always thought INXS should sound in this format. The mix takes nothing from the energy of the original. Considering this is the same team that delivered St Pepper a few months ago ( I think) , this is an eye opener. The videos are all also available with the Dolby Atmos mix.

On my second system, also with an Oppo 103, but with the decoding being performed by a Denon receiver in Dolby True HD its almost as good although I think the Oppo did a better decoding job. It was always a great album! Simple but great! This mix really makes it come alive and gives it a clarity rarely heard on a rock album and thats only on a several years old 5.1 system. Can't imagine what it sounds like in the proper Atmos format. Will post more after another listen in the morning rain dependant.
This quote makes me very happy.

It was delivered by amazon so arrived much later than expected! But I did give it a listen, it is really good, makes very good use of the surround, immersive and discrete with some nice 'special' effects with the instruments. Audio quality is pretty good, instruments are clear, though I wonder if it was originally recorded on an early digital multi-track/mixing desk (something about the sound).

Well worth getting.

I have the Oppo 203 decoding the Dolby Atmos (which appears as Dolby True HD) to PCM and it reports it as 7.1 with a 48kHz sample rate. My system is only 5.1 (full range floorstanders all round though) so it down mixes the 7.1 to 5.1.

Can we get a quick review on first listen please Duncan?

It was delivered by amazon so arrived much later than expected! But I did give it a listen, it is really good, makes very good use of the surround, immersive and discrete with some nice 'special' effects with the instruments. Audio quality is pretty good, instruments are clear, though I wonder if it was originally recorded on an early digital multi-track/mixing desk (something about the sound).

Well worth getting.

I have the Oppo 203 decoding the Dolby Atmos (which appears as Dolby True HD) to PCM and it reports it as 7.1 with a 48kHz sample rate. My system is only 5.1 (full range floorstanders all round though) so it down mixes the 7.1 to 5.1.

Thank you Duncan.

Question:

The Promo Videos are in (1.78 : 1 widescreen) or (1.33 : 1 full frame) screen aspect ratio?

Kind regards,

Last edited:
It seems from the pictures above that the Blu-ray is not region coded. Can that be confirmed, since it was posted somewhere else that someone thought it was region coded. I have a copy en-route from Amazon.co.uk to the US, so I am hoping it isn't region coded.

They all seem to be 4:3, with Black Stripes either side on wide screen. But 4:3 was the standard then.

Thank you Duncan.

Question:

The Promo Videos are in (1.78 : 1 widescreen) or (1.33 : 1 full frame) screen aspect ratio?

Kind regards,

It appears to Region Free, but has an FBI copy warning at the beginning!

It seems from the pictures above that the Blu-ray is not region coded. Can that be confirmed, since it was posted somewhere else that someone thought it was region coded. I have a copy en-route from Amazon.co.uk to the US, so I am hoping it isn't region coded.

Never seen an audio BD that was region coded.
Whomever "thought" this is region coded really has no idea.

Never seen an audio BD that was region coded.

Whomever "thought" this is region coded really has no idea.

This disc isn't audio only. Not sure who your post is directed to but simply asking if it is region coded is a fair question. Your tone is somewhat d baggary.

Neither on the disc nor the packaging is any info on region codes. None of the software I have seems to give any details neither. Sorry.

First impression of the mix: Really enjoyable! Much more going here in the surrounds than on the ole Sergeant.

The UK Blu-ray has a Region 0 mark on the disc label so it should play in all regions. Nice surround mix, videos in their OAR, good presentation and very good value for the set as a whole. With this, the Doors Singles set and even the recent David Gilmour set its good to see excellent product being produced at reasonable prices and without superfluous gimmicks. (y)

Back