INXS - "Kick" (30th anniversary edition with Dolby Atmos mix coming soon!)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is a perfect purchase. Great packaging and liner notes, lyrics. The 2 extra discs, demo’s, live tracks and mash mixes are all fantastic. The remastered original has a tiny bit more bass and a few nuances that if you didn’t grow up on this you would never know.
Disappointed that they did not devote 1 page in the liner notes where Giles Martin could have talked about the Atmos mix. Disappointed that lyrics where not put on screen.
Menu is one of the best I have ever seen.
Listening to the Atmos selection in my 5.1 set up. Reads as Dolby HD at 48Khz, sounds fantastic, great mix. I am listening loud at 74db and lots of fun little nuances, no ear fatigue, Giles let it all hang out on this. There is a softness to the midrange, not bright, not bassy.
It is quite a pleasure when I know music intimately and then gets released in surround. I can tell this would be great in Atmos, there are certain fades that either go front to rear or right to left, or cross directional that I am sure I would even hear more with an Atmos system.
Love it, and I’ll fight for it. Giles Martin is now 2 for 2 with me, Sgt Pepper and this release, he has taken a older recording and a newer one and I commend him for his talented efforts.
I am very lucky to be a INXS fan listening in state of the art 2017, 5.1 in my case.

I'll second that (y):banana:

Only just realised this is with an Atmos mix....haven't read all posts yet.....how good is the Atmos mix & am i right in thinking there is a stand alone blu ray version release, rather than buying the box set ? Thanks...

Only just realised this is with an Atmos mix....haven't read all posts yet.....how good is the Atmos mix & am i right in thinking there is a stand alone blu ray version release, rather than buying the box set ? Thanks...

There is no single disc Blu-Ray release of this title, and even if there was, it would probably cost as much as just getting the deluxe set. It’s very inexpensive right now on many sites.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There is no single disc Blu-Ray release of this title, and even if there was, it would probably cost as much as just getting the deluxe set. It’s very inexpensive right now on many sites.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for reply. I ordered it last night from HMV for £15.99, which is considerably less than Amazon, so much so i have my doubts, but product description said cd / blu ray.

Kick may be just the first of many packages from INXS. While no specifics regarding future releases are given, Billboard is reporting that Giles Martin will "take creative duties as executive music director" of the band's catalog.

With a raft of new music campaigns taking shape, iconic Aussie alternative rock outfit INXS has tapped Giles Martin to take creative duties as executive music director.
Martin, the British-born music producer, composer and arranger, is the son of the late, great Beatles producer George Martin, who passed away in March 2016. The father-and-son team worked the desk on a handful of projects, most notably the soundtrack for the Beatles-Cirque du Soleil show in Las Vegas, Love, which won a pair of Grammys in 2008.

In his new role with INXS, Martin will have creative reins on all audio aspects of the new wave outfit’s plans, which include musicals and movies and the reissue of their studio albums, which will be repackaged, remixed and expanded for release through Universal Music Group (UMG) in partnership with Petrol Records.

Martin first met INXS in 1994 and, in recent years, that friendship has evolved into a business relationship, with Martin working across several INXS releases, including a greatest hits compilation and a Dolby Atmos mix of the classic Kick album for its 30th anniversary reissue in 2017.

In a statement announcing the extending of their musical relationship, Martin notes, “INXS are one of the most important rock bands in history, I am honored to be collaborating with them again and look forward to contributing to the spectacular experiences the band are creating for their fans.”

Adds Petrol Records chairman & CEO Chris Murphy: “Giles Martin’s track record speaks for itself. We need to ensure INXS’ incredible music and extraordinary story is heard by and told to future generations and as such, we want the best eyes and ears partnering with us across all our innovative and exciting upcoming projects. Giles is a dear friend of the band and someone we can trust unquestionably to deliver outstanding creative input and a rare musical perspective.”

The INXS projects on the slate, explains Andrew Daw, senior VP, global marketing, Universal Music Group, will “capture the imagination of those who were there from the beginning and open the INXS world up to new fans globally while cementing the band’s important musical legacy.”

Formed in Perth in 1977, INXS scaled the summit of the rock mountain with six U.K. Top 10 albums and five U.S. Top 20 albums, a BRIT Award (in 1991 for best international group) and, in 2001, elevation into the ARIA Hall of Fame. The band's journey was tragically derailed by the 1997 death of lead singer Michael Hutchence, at the age of just 37, though the surviving members have reunited on various occasions with replacement singers.

The band has 18 entries on the Billboard Hot 100, including seven top 10s and a No. 1 with "Need You Tonight," from 1988. INXS also graced the Billboard 200 on 14 occasions, led by Kick, which peaked at No. 3 and remained on the tally for 81 weeks. To date, they’ve sold more than 50 million records worldwide, according to Petrol.

The atmos mix is very poor IMHO , very very subtle . I have a good collection of dvd-a sacd as reference and this is one of those ‘why did they bother ‘ mixes. When you have so many discrete channels to play with dropping pretty much everything into front L+R with a touch of centre is a waste . Giles also did the Beatles stuff of course and this has really put me off paying the bucks for the super deluxe editions to try those out

Did anyone take the time to edit the chapter starts/stops on Kick so the songs start correctly with no bleed from the previous song and could you post the edited cue text? Thanks in advance.

Did anyone take the time to edit the chapter starts/stops on Kick so the songs start correctly with no bleed from the previous song and could you post the edited cue text? Thanks in advance.
Just checked my SSD, doesn't look like I've even ripped that one yet :eek: ; and didn't know it was an issue.
I'll check that out tomorrow :)

Yes, that was bloody annoying! I think I remember it being about 2 seconds off? Here's a rough edit I did by ear. It's not technically exact but it should get you at the start of each song. You can import into MKVToolNix and edit under chapter editor without having to remux.

Kick MKV.png
Screenshot.png

Yes, that was bloody annoying! I think I remember it being about 2 seconds off? Here's a rough edit I did by ear. It's not technically exact but it should get you at the start of each song. You can import into MKVToolNix and edit under chapter editor without having to remux.

View attachment 58278View attachment 58281

Thanks!

Edit...

Here is a version you can copy and paste into MMH (Music Media Helper) under the Edit Chapters in MKV section. Thanks again @MrSmithers! If anyone needs one for the new John Lennon with the track names, I did that one last night. The cue timings are correct on that but I added the track names. It has many songs so it will save you some time...

CHAPTER01=00:00:00.000
CHAPTER01NAME=Guns In The Sky
CHAPTER02=00:02:22.941
CHAPTER02NAME=New Sensation
CHAPTER03=00:06:02.627
CHAPTER03NAME=Devil Inside
CHAPTER04=00:11:14.807
CHAPTER04NAME=Need You Tonight
CHAPTER05=00:14:18.110
CHAPTER05NAME=Mediate
CHAPTER06=00:16:52.378
CHAPTER06NAME=The Loved One
CHAPTER07=00:20:28.527
CHAPTER07NAME=Wild Life
CHAPTER08=00:23:39.018
CHAPTER08NAME=Never Tear Us Apart
CHAPTER09=00:26:43.936
CHAPTER09NAME=Mystify
CHAPTER10=00:30:01.733
CHAPTER10NAME=Kick
CHAPTER11=00:33:16.092
CHAPTER11NAME=Calling All Nations
CHAPTER12=00:36:17.609
CHAPTER12NAME=Tiny Daggers

Last edited:
CHAPTER01NAME=Opening Silence
CHAPTER02=00:00:02.002
CHAPTER02NAME=Instant Karma! (We All Shine On)
CHAPTER03=00:03:23.620
CHAPTER03NAME=Cold Turkey
CHAPTER04=00:08:24.713
CHAPTER04NAME=Working Class Hero
CHAPTER05=00:12:11.606
CHAPTER05NAME=Isolation
CHAPTER06=00:15:03.820
CHAPTER06NAME=Love
CHAPTER07=00:18:24.353
CHAPTER07NAME=God
CHAPTER08=00:22:35.646
CHAPTER08NAME=Power to the People
CHAPTER09=00:25:59.099
CHAPTER09NAME=Imagine
CHAPTER10=00:29:01.448
CHAPTER10NAME=Jealous Guy
CHAPTER11=00:33:11.990
CHAPTER11NAME=Gimme Some Truth
CHAPTER12=00:36:26.893
CHAPTER12NAME=Oh My Love
CHAPTER13=00:39:09.681
CHAPTER13NAME=How Do You Sleep
CHAPTER14=00:44:45.099
CHAPTER14NAME=Oh Yoko
CHAPTER15=00:49:01.147
CHAPTER15NAME=Angela
CHAPTER16=00:53:06.475
CHAPTER16NAME=Come Together (live)
CHAPTER17=00:57:23.649
CHAPTER17NAME=Mind Games
CHAPTER18=01:01:33.940
CHAPTER18NAME=Out The Blue
CHAPTER19=01:04:55.266
CHAPTER19NAME=I Know (I Know)
CHAPTER20=01:08:42.660
CHAPTER20NAME=Whatever Gets You Thru The Night
CHAPTER21=01:12:09.659
CHAPTER21NAME=Bless You
CHAPTER22=01:16:46.602
CHAPTER22NAME=Number 9 Dream
CHAPTER23=01:21:33.097
CHAPTER23NAME=Steel and Glass
CHAPTER24=01:26:11.249
CHAPTER24NAME=Stand By Me
CHAPTER25=01:29:42.502
CHAPTER25NAME=Angel Baby
CHAPTER26=01:33:24.265
CHAPTER26NAME=(Just Like) Starting Over
CHAPTER27=01:37:19.292
CHAPTER27NAME=I am Losing You
CHAPTER28=01:41:18.698
CHAPTER28NAME=Beautiful Boy (Darling Boy)
CHAPTER29=01:45:20.147
CHAPTER29NAME=Watching The Wheels
CHAPTER30=01:48:52.735
CHAPTER30NAME=Woman
CHAPTER31=01:52:24.905
CHAPTER31NAME=Dear Yoko
CHAPTER32=01:54:58.600
CHAPTER32NAME=Every Man Has a Woman Who Loves Him
CHAPTER33=01:58:17.007
CHAPTER33NAME=Nobody Told Me
CHAPTER34=02:01:50.762
CHAPTER34NAME=I am Stepping Out
CHAPTER35=02:05:55.590
CHAPTER35NAME=Grow Old With Me
CHAPTER36=02:09:16.165
CHAPTER36NAME=Happy Xmas (War Is Over)
CHAPTER37=02:12:49.170
CHAPTER37NAME=Give Peace a Chance

Thanks!

Edit...

Here is a version you can copy and paste into MMH (Music Media Helper) under the Edit Chapters in MKV section. Thanks again @MrSmithers! If anyone needs one for the new John Lennon with the track names, I did that one last night. The cue timings are correct on that but I added the track names. It has many songs so it will save you some time...

CHAPTER01NAME=Guns In The Sky
CHAPTER02=00:02:22.941
CHAPTER02NAME=New Sensation
CHAPTER03=00:06:02.627
CHAPTER03NAME=Devil Inside
CHAPTER04=00:11:14.807
CHAPTER04NAME=Need You Tonight
CHAPTER05=00:14:18.110
CHAPTER05NAME=Mediate
CHAPTER06=00:16:52.378
CHAPTER06NAME=The Loved One
CHAPTER07=00:20:28.527
CHAPTER07NAME=Wild Life
CHAPTER08=00:23:39.018
CHAPTER08NAME=Never Tear Us Apart
CHAPTER09=00:26:43.936
CHAPTER09NAME=Mystify
CHAPTER10=00:30:01.733
CHAPTER10NAME=Kick
CHAPTER11=00:33:16.092
CHAPTER11NAME=Calling All Nations
CHAPTER12=00:36:17.609
CHAPTER12NAME=Tiny Daggers
I assume this is with a .001 of a second standard rather than the old CD cue format: The position is specified in mm:ss:ff (minute-second-frame) format. There are 75 such frames per second of audio.?

I assume this is with a .001 of a second standard rather than the old CD cue format: The position is specified in mm:ss:ff (minute-second-frame) format. There are 75 such frames per second of audio.?

I used HD-DVD BLU-RAY Extractor to output track timings to text file then manually added the track names. It is the first time I added the names and I only did it because MMH demanded it in the fields to process the chapters, and in the end it worked great with each chapter in the MKV also having track names.. Audiomuxer and mkvtoolnix also handles this .001 standard as does others, but yes, I haven't seen it for CD's.

I used HD-DVD BLU-RAY Extractor to output track timings to text file then manually added the track names. It is the first time I added the names and I only did it because MMH demanded it in the fields to process the chapters, and in the end it worked great with each chapter in the MKV also having track names.. Audiomuxer and mkvtoolnix also handles this .001 standard as does others, but yes, I haven't seen it for CD's.
Firstly, this is the version I have:
https://www.discogs.com/INXS-Kick-30/release/11200259
OK, so I just went back in and ripped via MakeMKV from the TrueHD Atmos 7.1 to MKV then used MMH to down mix to 5.1.
I previewed the flac files in Foobar2K and the splits seem to be correct without any futzing with a cue file -did I get the right codec and processing 🧐 ???

MKV-ATMOS TO FLAC.jpg

OK, so I just went back in and ripped via MakeMKV from the TrueHD Atmos 7.1 to MKV then used MMH to down mix to 5.1.
I previewed the flac files in Foobar2K and the splits seem to be correct without any futzing with a cue file -did I get the right codec and processing 🧐 ???

View attachment 58305
I have experienced occasional issues like this with AudioMuxer when ripping a MKV to FLAC that did not occur when using Foobar to convert to FLAC.

View attachment 58305

I used that same method and the timings were off like MrSmithers. That is why I posted here and MrSmithers hooked me up.

I have experienced occasional issues like this with AudioMuxer when ripping a MKV to FLAC that did not occur when using Foobar to convert to FLAC.

This is about creating a MKV with proper chapter stops that doesn't overlap the songs. Foobar doesn't do MKV's so we aren't talking about the same thing. 99% of the music blu-rays using MakeMKV come out fine. Kick chapters are off. If I remember correctly, The Allman Brothers disc was off too.

I used that same method and the timings were off like MrSmithers. That is why I posted here and MrSmithers hooked me up.
Maybe I’m confused by the method you used?

The first time I did it I used MakeMKV and then split to flac in AudioMuxer (from those I got the wrong timing as you guys mentioned.)
But when I skipped AudioMuxer and went through MMH; no issues with times or messing with a cue at all.

As far as Foobar, I’m only using it in this case to listen and do some tagging.

Maybe I’m confused by the method you used?

The first time I did it I used MakeMKV and then split to flac in AudioMuxer (from those I got the wrong timing as you guys mentioned.)
But when I skipped AudioMuxer and went through MMH; no issues with times or messing with a cue at all.

As far as Foobar, I’m only using it in this case to listen and do some tagging.

Five minutes ago I ran it through MakeMKV after I read your post and they were off playing the MKV. Same as when I did it origionally. That is when I went to plan B and created a cue file thanks to MrSmithers.

Listening to the MKV tracks on multiple players and skipping to next track you get the end of previous track. All is fixed now with new timings.

edit...I should have said skipping to next chapter...

Last edited:
Back