INXS - "Kick" (30th anniversary edition with Dolby Atmos mix coming soon!)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I listened to this album last night. My system is a 5.1 setup with Emotiva XMC-1 pre-amp, and a Oppo BDP83SE connected through both HDMI and analog. So, I have the option of letting the XMC preamp do the decoding of the TrueHD stream, or letting Oppo do the decoding and D/A conversion. The XMC does room correction on the HDMI stream, but not the Analog inputs, so that is another difference.

I found the audio to be a bit bright, but not horribly so. I did't notice any distortion at all. I do find it to be quite loud/compressed. I would say I'm slightly disappointed with the sound quality overall.

I do hear differences in how the Oppo folds the 7.1 into 5.1 as compared to the Emotiva preamp. Certain sounds isolated in the surround speakers is more pronounced in one rather than the other. I prefer how he XMC did it compared to the Oppo.

I don't have the ability to rip the bluray. I'd love to hear the manually ripped 7.1 folded down to 5.1, if someone is willing/able to share? It would be interesting to compare that to the bluray.

I probably missed the memo - why do we want to manually fold down these Atmos titles? Can't our systems simply do it on the fly? :)

I manually did it after reading some comments about distortion and loudness when letting your player/receiver do it on the fly. Plus, I’m listening as flac files and I wasn’t sure what foobar would do. I haven’t done an A/B comparison, so I don’t know if there’s any difference during playback. I CAN say that the manual mix down sounds amazing! I’m now loving all these songs again (that I was sick to death of hearing on the radio!) What a great mix and fidelity... I’ll be voting pretty highly on this one:smokin

I probably missed the memo - why do we want to manually fold down these Atmos titles? Can't our systems simply do it on the fly? :)

If you are playing back the BD through a Dolby Digital Decoder the fold down should be done by the decoder. No problem.

If you have converted the 7.1 track to FLAC and playing back 7.1 on a 5.1 system you will lose the rears (5.1 = 3 front and 2 sides, no rears). However, its possible some smart 5.1 systems may still remix 7.1 to 5.1 from a PCM (FLAC) file but I don't know of any. (I've not run any tests)

There were earlier comments about "manually folded" 5.1 mixes sounding better. The automated fold down sounded bright and harsh. I don't have access to a manual fold down, not the means to create one (lack of a bluray drive in any of my computers), so I was interested in hearing if there was a difference.

Ideally there shouldn't be much difference. But, my Oppo decoder seems to behave differently than the decoder in my Emotiva preamp, but it didn't change the "brightness or harshness". It sounded to me like certain sounds were absent in the Oppo analog outputs. Perhaps the rear channels were just dropped as Homer suggested, but I would hope the Oppo would behave better than that. It claims to down mix to 5.1 in the manual.

I CAN say that the manual mix down sounds amazing! I’m now loving all these songs again (that I was sick to death of hearing on the radio!) What a great mix and fidelity... I’ll be voting pretty highly on this one:smokin

This kind of comment is what makes me want to try the manual 5.1 downmix. I can't say the bluray sounded amazing on my system. It was merely good. I have heard much worse, but I have certainly heard much better fidelity. I found it slightly bright. A bit fatiguing.

This is a perfect purchase. Great packaging and liner notes, lyrics. The 2 extra discs, demo’s, live tracks and mash mixes are all fantastic. The remastered original has a tiny bit more bass and a few nuances that if you didn’t grow up on this you would never know.
Disappointed that they did not devote 1 page in the liner notes where Giles Martin could have talked about the Atmos mix. Disappointed that lyrics where not put on screen.
Menu is one of the best I have ever seen.
Listening to the Atmos selection in my 5.1 set up. Reads as Dolby HD at 48Khz, sounds fantastic, great mix. I am listening loud at 74db and lots of fun little nuances, no ear fatigue, Giles let it all hang out on this. There is a softness to the midrange, not bright, not bassy.
It is quite a pleasure when I know music intimately and then gets released in surround. I can tell this would be great in Atmos, there are certain fades that either go front to rear or right to left, or cross directional that I am sure I would even hear more with an Atmos system.
Love it, and I’ll fight for it. Giles Martin is now 2 for 2 with me, Sgt Pepper and this release, he has taken a older recording and a newer one and I commend him for his talented efforts.
I am very lucky to be a INXS fan listening in state of the art 2017, 5.1 in my case.

Last edited:
Warming up the rig at 80db with this most super great surround release, God I love this. 5.1 no Atmos.
Can Farewell To Kings top this ? Gonna find out soon.

Listening to the Atmos soundtrack on my 7.1.4 system now. Sounds great, constant support from the ceiling speakers, guitars, cymbals, voices - even some panning above. Very cool surround mix, I love it. Excellent fidelty and very crankable.

Stupid authoring error, the chapter marks are off on this disc.

If you go the Audio playlist and choose "Devil Inside" you get "..asation..." before the track starts. Same thing with New Sensation, last second or two of Guns in the Sky plays first.

If you are ripping the blu-ray your tracks will be off, you'll need to split them manually. Lame.

Aurgh, I've run into this too. I wonder if there will be replacement disc for this.

Aurgh, I've run into this too. I wonder if there will be replacement disc for this.

Took me about 10 minutes to fix this issue in Audacity (it only effects some of the songs)... fine for someone like me who listens to flac, but I can see how it would be irritating when listening directly from the disc. Whatever happened to quality control!?

Back