Atmos releases & compatability

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm not finding definitive info online. Can I assume that "HD: High definition Blu-ray Disc™" is a normal BD?
4K, by comparison, is called "Ultra HD" sometimes.

Yep, your assumptions are what I would assume too.

Wish they'd standardise the terminology eh? Hate it how there's always the technical term (e.g., 4K) - which is usually easier to understand, more descriptive and shorter than the marketing term for doofuses - and the marketing term for doofuses (e.g., Ultra-HD).

Remember "HD-ready" for 1080i? Might as well have called it "almost the new baseline until the next one comes out". Not that I can tell any difference between moving 1080i and 1080p (frame captures are more obvious but it's all ancient history now).

Whinge over.

The real question will be the content of the mixes. That is, weather or not the original mixes were made on an Atmos or other ambisonic system with height speakers and so forth (perhaps the full 34 speaker array) and are mixed using those dimensions.

In the case of a more than 5.1 or 7.1 original mix, the 5.1 downmix will still be a full discrete mix. Just less discrete than with a full 34 speaker array.

One of the selling points is supposed to be a the ability to scale any multichannel mix to any speaker array preserving fidelity and discreteness as well as the situation permits.

Sounds good on paper. I don't think I've heard a negative review either FWIW. I haven't heard it myself in any controlled way. eg. Here's a 5.1 mix sounding 1:1 going in and back out of the system. Now here's a 34 channel Atmos mix scaled to a 5.1 system. Now the other way - here's a 5.1 mix scaled up to a full Atmos system. Knowing what the original mixes sound like on their intended systems and so forth.

So anyway, the real real question will be if they tell you what the mix is. 5.1, 9.1, 12.2.8, etc.

My David Gilmore Live at Pompeii has 3 choices in the Blu Ray Audio Set up, one of them called X, is that the Atmos ?

since the surround format is DTS (HD-MA) (as opposed to Dolby) I'm thinking they mean DTS:X but perhaps it's a DTS:X placeholder for the 4k edition (that hopefully is real and will appear) and they didn't want to re-author the menu. Sounds highly unlikely they would spend a little to slightly re-author the menu for a 4K release but I have no other explanation.

A disc with DTS would not also include Dolby (I've never seen that before) so no way this disc would have (or will have) an atmos format.

and before anyone says this was recorded in atmos so it must have an atmos on the 4k release this is an incorrect assumption as I have demo discs that are in DTS:X but the official disc release will have a different format, namely dolby atmos

What I have never heard of is one disc with both DTS:X and atmos

since the surround format is DTS (HD-MA) (as opposed to Dolby) I'm thinking they mean DTS:X but perhaps it's a placeholder for the 4k edition (that hopefully is real and will appear) and they didn't want to re-author the menu. Sounds highly unlikely but I have no other explanation.

I was thinking DTS:X as well. It's the DTS equivalent of Dolby Atmos, right?

Checked my personal stash (all normal BDs, no 4K):
Interstellar, Labyrinth 30th Anniversary, Fifth Element & Fantastic Beasts all have the Dolby Atmos symbol.

My Roger Water's Wall Live definitely offers Atmos as an option.

My Metallica Through the never 3D steelbook has Dolby Atmos listed in the movie credits, but not in the BD sound options. :(

My Metallica Through the never 3D steelbook has Dolby Atmos listed in the movie credits, but not in the BD sound options. :(

The German Ascot Elite Steelbook has DTS-HD MA 7.1 (48/24)

The German Ascot Elite Non-Steelbook has Dolby Atmos (as well as TrueHD 7.1) (48/24)

an example of how a single Master can be released in either format

also, the Japan Pony Canyon has DTS-HD MA 7.1 but in 96/24 as opposed to 48/24.

showing how the same Master can also be released in different sampling rate

also, the US release only has DTS-HD MA 5.1 (48/24)

so one Master, yet 4 different formats

Interstellar, Labyrinth 30th Anniversary, Fifth Element & Fantastic Beasts all have the Dolby Atmos symbol.

My Roger Water's Wall Live definitely offers Atmos as an option.

My understanding is Dolby Atmos has extensive downmixing capabilities, but am not sure just how it interacts with the Dolbytru HD mix.

Thanks to Dr. Brian May, we were able to secure his 3-D short "One Night in Hell" as a bonus stereoscopic extra for the 3-D bluray of THE MASK (1961 version). This was first delivered to us as left & right eye video files and a 5.1 PCM track. We requested the Atmos mix, and with Dolby's quick help doing a quick QC run through with the authoring facility, were able to include that track for the short. I found it interesting the final track when played on my non-atmos receiver was now Dolby 7.1.

I have the non-steel book TTN 3D and the stand-alone 2D and none list Atmos. DTS HD-MA 5.1. The steel book has 7.1 as an upgrade.
I wish I could test it on my mum's system to see if it has DTS:X maybe, but it's Region B. It will play here on my Oppo, but not at her house.
:mad:@::confused::music:confused::mad:@:

I have the non-steel book TTN 3D and the stand-alone 2D and none list Atmos. DTS HD-MA 5.1. The steel book has 7.1 as an upgrade.
I wish I could test it on my mum's system to see if it has DTS:X maybe, but it's Region B. It will play here on my Oppo, but not at her house.
:mad:@::confused::music:confused::mad:@:

I have all of them. None are DTS:X

It's only the German Ascot Elite Non-Steelbook that has atmos. Region B

https://www.amazon.com/Metallica-Through-Never-Dolby-Atmos/dp/B00TFBUF0A

https://www.amazon.de/Metallica-Through-Never-Dolby-Blu-ray/dp/B00TFBUF0A

Oh dang, that's a TTN edition? Region B, probably? I should pick that up, in case I ever upgrade my house to Atmos.
TTN is one of my favorite concert movies.

might as well get it since it also has TrueHD 7.1

I have to play it in PowerDVD 16 using Passkey to get atmos because my Oppo 93 won't play it

might as well get it since it also has TrueHD 7.1

I have to play it in PowerDVD 16 using Passkey to get atmos because my Oppo 93 won't play it

Rip the disc to MKV. That removes any region protection. Not sure if the 93 plays MKV though.

Rip the disc to MKV. That removes any region protection. Not sure if the 93 plays MKV though.

interesting. I did not know that.

Is there any real difference (quality wise) between an mkv file vs an iso file?

Does mkv keep all the menus, etc because that's what I use my oppo 93 for, to play iso's

Back