Atmos releases & compatability

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
interesting. I did not know that.

Is there any real difference (quality wise) between an mkv file vs an iso file?

Does mkv keep all the menus, etc because that's what I use my oppo 93 for, to play iso's

No difference in video or audio quality. It just places the media streams in an MKV container.

No menus but it retains chapter markings. You can then split the MKV at the chapter markings into individual MKV files and play them in sequence or at random. Some software will allow creation of playlists that would then allow you to play the files (songs) in any order including mixing songs from different discs (concerts).

I use Kodi with an iPad remote app and when I have friends over I like to pass the iPad around to allow them to select a song from my concerts to play. A bit of fun allowing everyone to add a song to the playlist.

The great thing with using the iPad app is that you can navigate around all the concerts (and audio albums) without interfering the current main video display (TV or projector) while current songs are playing. You can even change the playlist order or remove or insert a new song as next to play.

Oh dang, that's a TTN edition? Region B, probably? I should pick that up, in case I ever upgrade my house to Atmos.
TTN is one of my favorite concert movies.

Yes this BD is Region B. I played this one yesterday and it is reference quality, both audio & video!

The Atmos track is amazing, not saying all 4 overhead speakers have sounds coming through all the time. But when the special effects on stage or movie sequences come up, the overhead speakers kick in. Makes a big difference to me. I got it from a seller on Amazon Canada for $30 CAD shipped.

PS: Metallica TTN was originally mixed in Dolby Atmos. I am glad a small label like Ascot Elite decided to release it the way it was intended to listen!

Checked my personal stash (all normal BDs, no 4K):
Interstellar, Labyrinth 30th Anniversary, Fifth Element & Fantastic Beasts all have the Dolby Atmos symbol.

Quoting myself again today.

Interstellar, though it is listed on the Atmos site under [normal] BD and my case has the Atmos logo, there is no Atmos on the disc. DTS HD-MA 7.1, rather.

Labyrinth, Fifth Element & Fantastic Beasts do certainly have Atmos. Labyrinth still sounds like ass, compared to something well-produced these days, but is light years ahead of the DVD.

Kraftwerk 3-D 12345678, or whatever the fuck it's called (1 BD/1 DVD version), works on a 2-D player and TV. And it plays in Atmos just fine. And the Atmos is awesome on it.
Interestingly, it played in 2-D on said system last night, regardless of the video option that was chosen (2-D or 3-D).

Speakers: The link below is very good for speaker placement for Atmos. When I start thinking about changing directions it is a long process. I am now entertaining the idea of doing Atmos speaker set up as my AVR already has the capabilities to produce. I have B&W speakers with the little tweeter mounted on top and surely could not add an upfiring speaker to them. I really like my current speakers. It looks like I would have to add two more surround speakers and two ceiling speakers to get the Atmos layout, done correctly of course. My wife is playing with the idea of kicking my rig out of the living room and into a unused bedroom which would probably be technically better but I am used to what I have now and not into the work involved. So if this move was to happen of course it would be time for Atmos speaker placement.
I feel like this is 1991 or so when Phillips came out with 5.1 and I got my first non stereo rig that evolved into what I have today. I guess my question is do I need to change any of my existing speakers because of the B&W tweeters. I don't want to and I don't feel like purchasing an all inclusive Atmos speaker set up as I feel that would be a step backward for my stereo and non Atmos surround listening?
Thoughts ?
https://www.dolby.com/us/en/guide/dolby-atmos-speaker-setup/index.html

I feel like I'm in mud, still waiting for my (4) XLR cables for my ATMOS amp. But in the meantime I was wondering if there is a top 3 video/movie list for ATMOS sound more important than content of video, documentary, whatever.

I personally enjoyed the Atmos sound design of ‘the Invisible man‘ (2020) very much. Decent movie as well!

I haven't been doing a very good job trying to pay attention to this. I imagine one of these days an Atmos decoder codec might finally be available? Where we at with this?

I'm looking for the software side only. A media player app or format conversion app to decode into discrete channels for playback. I have plenty of hardware. DA converters, audio interfaces, amps/speakers, etc. I'm not buying any new AVR or interface for proprietary software. I flat out refuse. Keep the soundbars, Amazon Echo, and the budget AVRs sold in Worst Purchase away. I only need the new codec.

It's still being hidden away in proprietary cheapness isn't it? (Defeating the purpose doesn't even begin to describe this of course!) Where we at with this?

Back