Sad about "Heroes" not multichannel in the "A New Career in a New Town" boxset

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gorman

I kinda had my hopes up about a multichannel mix being introduced. The album would have surely warranted it.

I guess I'll have to live with what surround Bowie we have now, as if it didn't happen now I doubt it ever will.

Tony Visconti has his fingerprints on this CD, which is a plus. He has a good ear for multichannel mixing, which includes T Rex's Electric Warrior CD. The fly in the ointment is Brian Eno. He has shown no affinity for 5.1 projects. Eno's Here Come the Warm Jets and Before and After Science should have been remixed 15 years ago. Then there is the First Roxy Music CD which ICYMI Eno was a full fledged member. Steven Wilson remixed that 3-4 years ago. Maybe Eno has not signed off? The guitarist, Manzanera has been involved with 5.1 with his association with David Gilmour over the years. Not sure about Andy McKay...

...time will tell

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry, my Parkinson’s Disease addled hands make typing a real chore at time, so I take short cuts. ICYMI = In Case You Missed It.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I honestly was not expecting any surround sound (or visual) content in this box set, because the other box sets did not, however, this one not having any surround sound hurts more that it did with the other box sets just because not only do we have surround mixes for some of the other albums in the first two box sets ("Ziggy Stardust", "Young Americans", and "Station to Station") but if any period of Bowie's career called for surround sound, it would be this era that this box set covers.

IMHO, he really did make his best work during this period, and I would love nothing more than to have surround sound mixes for the albums in this box set, but as others have already pointed out, if it did not happen now, I doubt it will ever happen, especially with Bowie now departed from this world.
It also sucks just because AFAIK at some point in time, there were plans to mix and release surround sound versions of some (or all) of the albums from this period, but like I said, it's probably never going to happen now.

However, this thread reminds me that I need to check out the new stereo mix of "Lodger" in full, cause the other day I previewed the original mix and the new mix of "Fantastic Voyage", and the new mix was so much better!

Oh well. You win some, and you lose some, and even though this box set was a loss for us, we have lots of other great things to look forward to! :)

I'm not so sure we won't see any 5.1 stuff from the Bowie catalogue in the future. He did release some before passing, obviously with his approval, and T Visconti has done more mixes that are sitting on the shelf somewhere....so David did not have any negative preconception with 5.1. These boxes have been geared towards cd and vinyl - no sets with dvd or blu-ray.

There's tons of DB video/tv stuff just waiting to be (officially) compiled onto those formats so I can easily see them doing a few video sets along with these audio ones we have been getting. It's a given that his catalogue is going to be exploited several times over in the coming years, how they do it is what is in question.

Sure would be nice if they did the audio boxes as they have been, video sets, and then a surround set. More likely imho is some sort of individual "anniversary" editions with the ryko bonus tracks, 5.1 mixes where possible etc - and maybe that is the way to go? Get individual 3/4 disc sets with original album, outtakes and singles, video content from each era and 5.1 mix....learn from the Tull camp people!

I'm not so sure we won't see any 5.1 stuff from the Bowie catalogue in the future. He did release some before passing, obviously with his approval, and T Visconti has done more mixes that are sitting on the shelf somewhere....so David did not have any negative preconception with 5.1. These boxes have been geared towards cd and vinyl - no sets with dvd or blu-ray.
I so hope you are right. As rtbluray expressed, these albums really would benefit from good multichannel mixes.

Back